270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1829 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: Truck Leaning...  (Read 5880 times)

Offline jason.w

• Sr Technician
  • Awards:
    Donor
Re: Truck Leaning...
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2008, 05:15:38 am »
The shocks are virtually new, less than 2000 miles on them. 

I was also told that shocks would not effect ride height.  But other than the front coil springs, which I've measured (and appear to be the same height, top bucket to bottom bucket), I'm not sure what else it could be.

I'm going to try to take it into a shop tomorrow and see if I can't get them to track the problem down for me.  Unless someone comes up with another alternative, that is. 
-Jason Westerberg

2001 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Laramie Quad Cab 4x4
5.9L 360ci Magnum V8
Volant Cold Air Intake Kit
52mm Fastman Throttle Body
3" Custom Exhaust System
Magnaflow High-Flow Catalytic Converter
Flowmaster Super 44 Muffler
MSD Blaster 2 Ignition Coil
Monroe Gas-Magnum Shocks

Offline Big_Daddy_Ram

• Technician
  • Awards:
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2008, 09:23:06 pm »
cool
1995 Dodge Ram 1500
Big Daddy No. 101 of 180
5.9 Fuel Injected
Posi Rear differential
Holley Pro-Flo Filter
2.5 Exhaust
Flowmaster Super 44
E3 Spark Plugs
Accel distributor Cap and Rotor
Mullin High Volume Oil Pump

Offline jason.w

• Sr Technician
  • Awards:
    Donor
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2008, 09:58:03 pm »
I am getting a new front coil spring.  Every shop I got estimates from told me I had to get them both replaced, as they come in packs of 2.  Then I went back to my good ol' Meineke shop, and the guy told me that was an bold faced lie.  He ordered a single coil spring from the dealer, since I can't find stock springs from anyone else locally, and is gonna install it for me.  Grand total will be about $275 with tax.  Not too bad.

The leaf spring... I'm going to try my original plan of swapping the original leaf springs around (and discarding, for the moment, the used one I got since it did no good).  If that doesn't help, I'm probably going to go down and see if some place can't either: A. make me a 1/2" spacer to put underneath the leaf spring, or B. have a place take a leaf off the used leaf spring I already have and add it to my original. 
-Jason Westerberg

5.9L 360ci Magnum V8
3" Custom Exhaust System
Monroe Gas-Magnum Shocks

Offline jason.w

• Sr Technician
  • Awards:
    Donor
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2008, 04:02:05 am »
The lean is fixed... sort of.

I had a day off, so I figured I'd swap the leaf springs like I originally planned.  Had nothing else better to do, and I couldn't help but wonder if the used leaf spring I got from a salvage yard was weak. 

First thing I noticed when I took off the passenger side one was... wow, it was much more of a pain to get off then the driver's side.  Much stiffer!  So I thought that was a good omen...

I switched them, and measured the rear wheel well height on my level garage floor.  The same!!!  The front was still off by 1/4", but I thought I had cured my lean in the back!

Took out for a drive, came back... and just over 1/4" lean now, front and back.  The leaf spring must have settled a little.  Its better though, you almost can't tell from the back that its leaning anymore.

So, my last post in this thread will be after the coil spring is installed later this week.  That will hopefully fix the lean altogether.  Thanks guys for all your help!  You saved me some $$$, telling me I could do this myself with common tools, and you were right!
-Jason Westerberg

5.9L 360ci Magnum V8
3" Custom Exhaust System
Monroe Gas-Magnum Shocks

Offline jason.w

• Sr Technician
  • Awards:
    Donor
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2008, 06:10:40 am »
First of all, thanks to those guys who said it was my leaf spring.  That's most of the lean, it appears, so thank you for your help.  Thanks to the rest of the others who gave me their opinions as well.

So anyway, today I went for a ride with someone in the passenger seat (my wife), and discovered the truck leans down pretty badly on that side when someone rides with me.

So I replaced the leaf spring with the one I got from the salvage yard.  Now I have a 1/4" lean to the passenger side... perfect! 

Tomorrow I replace the front coil spring to get rid of that front, driver's side lean, and it should be almost as good as the day I bought her, if not better. 

Thanks again for all your help guys! 
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 04:26:31 am by jason.w »
-Jason Westerberg

5.9L 360ci Magnum V8
3" Custom Exhaust System
Monroe Gas-Magnum Shocks