270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1829 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: 06 CTD Posi Rear end  (Read 1290 times)

Offline dhamblet

• Courtesy Driver
  • Awards:
06 CTD Posi Rear end
« on: December 23, 2008, 06:41:55 am »
Got a lot of snow here right now.  Needed to pull a 6-7000# tractor out of a ditch today so I chained up the RAM.  While pulling I threw a chain so I was pulling with only 1 rear wheel.  Tractor came out.  And I ran around with only 1 chain for the rest of the day.  Now I'm wondering if doing this might damage the posi, specially the part about pulling the tractor out.

Truck is an 06 CTD 6 speed manual  4wd, 1T, with limited slip rear end.  As I recall some older posi rear ends had clutches in them and doing this could fry the clutches.  How is the Dodge posi set up?  Is there a possibility this could do some damage?
Dennis in Olympia, WA
2006 Dodge RAM Laramie H pkg, 5.9 CTD, LWB, QC, 4wd, 6 speed, PacBrake, Brite Box, AirLift Wireless Air.

Offline noplugs

• Kung Fu Panda! - closeted conservative
  • Administrator
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • This thing has 4 wheel drive?
  • Awards:
    600 HPShade TreeDistinguishedApril ROTMDonor
Re: 06 CTD Posi Rear end
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2008, 06:58:02 am »
Got a lot of snow here right now.  Needed to pull a 6-7000# tractor out of a ditch today so I chained up the RAM.  While pulling I threw a chain so I was pulling with only 1 rear wheel.  Tractor came out.  And I ran around with only 1 chain for the rest of the day.  Now I'm wondering if doing this might damage the posi, specially the part about pulling the tractor out.

Truck is an 06 CTD 6 speed manual  4wd, 1T, with limited slip rear end.  As I recall some older posi rear ends had clutches in them and doing this could fry the clutches.  How is the Dodge posi set up?  Is there a possibility this could do some damage?
Dennis in Olympia, WA

Dennis, our Limited slip (or Anti-slip) doesn't use clutches or additives. Its a gear setup and doesn't suffer from those issues. When you say you threw a chain, I assume one tire was bare while the other had traction? You are probably putting a little more stress on the one side ofthe vehicle but if you dont make a habit of it you should be ok. I also wouldn't recommend trying to pull anything at the full capacity of the truck without both chains.
659 HP/1287 TQ -- She's BACK!  Yeah,,, nope she's not stock..

Doghouse Diesel Performance rocks

Nothing is exactly as it seems,nor is it otherwise

Offline dhamblet

• Courtesy Driver
  • Awards:
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2008, 07:16:03 am »
Yeah, the chain on the drivers side came all the way off at the start of the pull, musta not been tight.  I kept going and pulled the tractor (Kubota L2900 4wd) out (it was buried) with just the one chain and 4wd.  I was impressed.  Anyway, you've set my mind at rest.  Sounds like if anything were to get damaged I would know about it instantly and it probably isn't bad for it to drive around with only 1 chain for traction.
2006 Dodge RAM Laramie H pkg, 5.9 CTD, LWB, QC, 4wd, 6 speed, PacBrake, Brite Box, AirLift Wireless Air.

Offline Cumminalong

• Master of Destruction - Breaker of performance parts
  • Official DOF Vendor
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • The BOMB'r
  • Awards:
    1100ROTYMember of the Year1 Tech
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2008, 12:48:54 pm »
You're fine.

Like Robert said, it's not a clutch based setup like the Ford's have that will smoke the LSD if that happens.

Ours is nearly identical to a Detroit TrueTrac setup. It's all gears.

You may have put a little more stress on the one axle, but nothing more than that.

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc