270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1830 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: DIY: Recon Cab Lights, 3rd Gen (PDF)  (Read 9648 times)

Offline NickC

• Mechanical God!!!
  • V-neck pimp daddy
  • Awards:
    100kHeavyrotm400Donor
Re: DIY: Recon Cab Lights, 3rd Gen (PDF)
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2009, 06:12:07 pm »
i think i found out why my lights are leaking.... check the nylon screw seal thingys out...

although they were still leaking right after i installed them brand new, im thinking if i put a good set of seals on... i will no longer have my problem :scratch:

i have to go buy some nylon inserts and ill post back here with my results...

05 2500 AUTO 4X4 4:10 LARAMIE CTD-CAT/SILENCER RING?, AERO 4040XL, SMARTY, XM RADIO, RECON CAB LIGHTS, CUP SMOOTHIE, QUAD COMMANDER, CFM+ MANIFOLD, S&B INTAKE, FOX WEATHER BOOTS

Offline RedRam05Baby

• Shade Tree Certified
  • NASCAR Crewmember
  • Awards:
    Shade Tree CertContributor
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2009, 06:16:25 pm »
Ouch! Thats A Problem lol

Go To Your Hardware Store And Buy Nylon Washers.. When You Go To Re Install The Screws Put A Decent Dab Of Silicone In The Screw Hole. Then Install The Screw.

Offline Kilch123

• Mechanical God!!!
  • Thanks Pat and Adam!!!
  • Awards:
    DECEMBER ROTM 2011Mile High500 HPDistinguishedTech CertifiedDonorAir Force
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2009, 06:18:36 pm »
Nick - I went to an ace hardware, and bought the nylon nuts (square things that go in the roof), stainless steel screws with black heads (wont rust up like those did) and nylon screw seals (and used silicone too)

I think 10 of each cost me like less than $10

For the price of the lights, they should send stainless steel screws with them IMO
***Currently at Smokin Okie Diesel - Enid OK***
99 3500QCLB 6x6 5 Speed - D Tech Twins,SB DD3600,Adrenaline/Pulse,Smarty,DDP 110's,Hamilton's,ARP Studs,Airdog,CFE+,Silverline4",Mag-Hytec F/R,Amsoil-B2B,Isspro Performax Boost/EGT & Fuel-pillar mount,2Low Mod,BD SBS and Short Shifter, All LED

516/1127     9/18/09
14.788/93.78  8/8/09

If You Are Not Willing To Stand Behind Our Troops, Please Feel Free To Stand In Front Of Them!

Offline mayfair

• Master Smartazz!!!
  • Shade Tree Certified
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • Last 8 - w j 1 8 7 6 2 5
  • Awards:
    rotm200k400 HPShade TreeContributorDonor
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2009, 06:25:55 pm »
WOW Nick that SUCKS the way they're leaking like that. :eek:

Post up some pics of how you fix them for sure. :up:

Offline RedRam05Baby

• Shade Tree Certified
  • NASCAR Crewmember
  • Awards:
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2009, 06:37:27 pm »

For the price of the lights, they should send stainless steel screws with them IMO

I Couldn't Agree More

Before Every Install, I Have A Bucket Of 3/4" SS Screws & Nylon Washers I Use. The Black Ones That Are In The Kit Will Rust, And The Rubber'ish' Washers Will Do Exactly What They Did To Nick EVERYTIME...

Offline NickC

• Mechanical God!!!
  • V-neck pimp daddy
  • Awards:
    100kHeavyrotm400Donor
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2009, 10:12:13 pm »
well i just got done fixing them (well... hopefully). i went to Lowes and bought some nylon washers along with stainless steel screws and some clear silicone.

i put silicone underneath the lights where the screw goes, along with underneath the nylon washers, and to top it off i siliconed the whole head of the screw so no water will ever get in. the only thing i did not silicone was under the light housing, i am hoping Recon's foam gaskets will perform better than the hardware it came with.

you guys are right, for what these lights costed... AT LEAST throw in stainless screws along with nylon washers! how much extra would that of costed on there part??

this is what some of the hardware looked like only after year. dont even get me started on my line of fire that i threw out after 20% of the LED's went bad within a few months :censored:

i did not take pictures as i was doing it, i did however take one after i was done.

on another subject.... MAN IS IT NICE HERE IN MICHIGAN!!!!! it was almost 60 degrees and sunny  8)

05 2500 AUTO 4X4 4:10 LARAMIE CTD-CAT/SILENCER RING?, AERO 4040XL, SMARTY, XM RADIO, RECON CAB LIGHTS, CUP SMOOTHIE, QUAD COMMANDER, CFM+ MANIFOLD, S&B INTAKE, FOX WEATHER BOOTS

Offline mayfair

• Master Smartazz!!!
  • Shade Tree Certified
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • Awards:
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2009, 10:22:22 pm »
AWESOME job Nick !!!

Well done brotha !! :cheers:

Offline RedRam05Baby

• Shade Tree Certified
  • NASCAR Crewmember
  • Awards:
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2009, 11:39:12 pm »
I Am Glad You Brought That up. If You Purchased The Line of Fire Before Last Year, They Did Not Have The Resistor Needed For The LED's.. Don't Shoot - Im Just A Messenger.

Offline NickC

• Mechanical God!!!
  • V-neck pimp daddy
  • Awards:
    100kHeavyrotm400Donor
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2009, 12:24:39 am »
I Am Glad You Brought That up. If You Purchased The Line of Fire Before Last Year, They Did Not Have The Resistor Needed For The LED's.. Don't Shoot - Im Just A Messenger.

well message this back to them... unless they have a product that i cant get from anyone else... they wont have my business! i spent over $150 on two different products and they both gave me problems within a year.   >:(

Offline mayfair

• Master Smartazz!!!
  • Shade Tree Certified
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • Awards:
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2009, 03:10:42 am »
well message this back to them... unless they have a product that i cant get from anyone else... they wont have my business! i spent over $150 on two different products and they both gave me problems within a year.   >:(

Uh oh ... I think I hear Rich comming ...

:43:

Offline NickC

• Mechanical God!!!
  • V-neck pimp daddy
  • Awards:
    100kHeavyrotm400Donor
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2009, 05:54:37 am »
BRING EM"

my guns are bigger...

;D

Offline FroneDaddy

• Shade Tree Certified
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Awards:
    MileHighShade TreeDonorContributorFF
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2009, 03:23:48 pm »
I have a set of Recon clear lights. Mine leaked too, the problem was the plastic wasn't as strong as the stockers. When the slightest bit of pressure was applied when tightening them down to the roof the plastic would break below the screw and leak through there. 3 of my 5 broke, I took them off and put the stockers back on, you can feel the quality difference between the two.

Plus the silver trim has been chipping off of them for a long time.
I'm An and I Drive A

Offline RedRam05Baby

• Shade Tree Certified
  • NASCAR Crewmember
  • Awards:
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2009, 03:32:56 pm »
Damn! Thats Not Right.

I Can't Defend Them, But All My Recon Products Are Solid. The Only Issue I Have That Just Came Up Is The Backup Lamps. The Salt DESTROYED The Finish And Once The Clear Was Gone - The Paint Chipped And The Metal Rusted. Other Than That, My Stuff Is Solid.

If You Guys Get Pictures I Will Forward Them Accordingly - I Don't "Work" For Recon, But I Can Try To Pull Some Strings For You Guys.

Offline Cumminalong

• Master of Destruction - Breaker of performance parts
  • Official DOF Vendor
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • The BOMB'r
  • Awards:
    1100ROTYMember of the Year1 Tech
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2009, 04:34:01 pm »
I've said my peace, I'll stay out of it.

Offline RedRam05Baby

• Shade Tree Certified
  • NASCAR Crewmember
  • Awards:
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2009, 04:49:13 pm »
I Just Don't Want Anyone Pissed At Me For Their Products..

I Know The Owners, I Do Random Write Ups For Them. In Return I Get Discounts For People I Know, And The Product I Write Up For A Good Deal. Keeps My Liability On The Safe Side.

Thats It.. No Other Ties. If Anyone Has A Beef With Their Products I Understand. I Am Not Tied To Their Products, I Use Them To My Advantage When I Can - And Recon Does The Same For Me. AT ANY Point If I Can Help Someone With Something I May Know, I Will Always Help.

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc