270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1830 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: 2nd Gen Aftermarket Headlight Install  (Read 15628 times)

Offline Justviper1

• Service Manager
  • Awards:
    ROTMDonorContributor
2nd Gen Aftermarket Headlight Install
« on: March 15, 2009, 07:55:40 pm »
Aftermarket Headlight Install

First I took out the two screws and push pin out that hold the rubber attached to the headlight to the front fender.  The screws are a phillips head and I used side-cutters to pull out the push pin very easily because it will have to be reused.

Then to give enough room you have to take the two most forward bolts out that hold on the bumper on each side.  The socket size is an 18 mm and I used a half inch drive 8 inch long extension with my impact.

To insure that the bumper could drop enough I also loosened the outer supports on each side of the bumper at the frame.  This let the bumper drop a good couple of inches which is just enough to get the headlights out.

Next it is time to remove the lights.  You will have three 10 mm screws that hold in the lights.  If you are removing factory lights then you will have to take out he small Phillips head that holds on the parking light and remove it in order to gain access to the third 10 mm screw.  I used a 3/8 ratchet with a 6 inch extension, universal and a shallow 10 mm socket.

With all three screws removed you are now ready to pry out your light.  There is a screw in the back of the light that shoves into a clip.

To pry this screw out of the clip without scratching the body I wrapped a rag around my screw driver and twisted the flat head against the body and the head on the screw.  This popped it out most of the way and then I could gently pry it the rest of the way to get it out.

Once you get the old light out you then can get ready to install your new aftermarket ones.  In order for my set to line up correctly I had to cut one tab off of them.  I also had to pull the box that turns on the halo ring off from where it is mounted and relocate it.  It made the light stay out farther than it should have.

This made things much better.  If you are installing a two bulb headlight onto a non-sport truck then you will have to make sure that you hook up the adapter plugs the right way.  Just make sure the pins match up.

Once everything is connected you can then start to install the new light.  Make sure that if you have ones that have leds or halo rings that you pull the wires for them up so that you can reach them as they come through the front of the truck.

When you get the light back in make sure that the screw in the back is shoved as far as possible into its clip.  Then put the three 10 mm screws back in and be sure they start straight otherwise they will easily strip out the hole!

Then reinstall the rubber piece that seals the headlight to the grill by putting back in the two phillips head screws and then the push pin.

Next is to get the bumper back up into place and tighten it back up.  You may find it handy to use a block of wood on each side cut to how high the bumper needs to be set.  Reinstall the two bolts on each side of the bumper and tighten down the supports on the outside of the bumper as well.

If your after market lights have leds in them or a halo ring then you can either hook the positive wires together and then to your parking light switch or to a toggle switch and just ground the negatives by the lights.

Now you can enjoy your new lights!

Before

After
« Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 09:34:43 pm by Cumminalong »
01 Ram 2500 QCLB 150 HP DDP Injectors, APR Studs, HTT 71 series turbo, Industrial Injection VP44, 4.5 Skyjacker lift, 35x12.50R16 tires, 5 Inch Custom Dual Exhaust, AFE Stage 2, AirDog 150, Adrenaline with Pulse V2, T/C lockup switch, Billet Garmon Transmission, LED taillights, Projector Headlights with HID High,Low and Fog Lights all LED Putco exterior lights

Offline Justviper1

• Service Manager
  • Awards:
    ROTMDonorContributor
Re: 2nd Gen Aftermarket Headlight Install
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 09:40:35 pm »
Everything was plug and play with the exception of the LED lights and the Halo rings. 
01 Ram 2500 QCLB 150 HP DDP Injectors, APR Studs, HTT 71 series turbo, Industrial Injection VP44, 4.5 Skyjacker lift, 35x12.50R16 tires, 5 Inch Custom Dual Exhaust, AFE Stage 2, AirDog 150, Adrenaline with Pulse V2, T/C lockup switch, Billet Garmon Transmission, LED taillights, Projector Headlights with HID High,Low and Fog Lights all LED Putco exterior lights

Offline mayfair

• Master Smartazz!!!
  • Shade Tree Certified
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • Last 8 - w j 1 8 7 6 2 5
  • Awards:
    rotm200k400 HPShade TreeContributorDonor
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 01:31:05 am »
AWESOME job Viper !! :punk:

Thank You !! :up:

Offline Justviper1

• Service Manager
  • Awards:
    ROTMDonorContributor
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 06:03:16 am »
Just hope this helps someone else to do the job easier!  Im going to add to it when I do the HID conversion on the truck and then hook up the halo rings and leds.

Offline mayfair

• Master Smartazz!!!
  • Shade Tree Certified
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • Awards:
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 06:49:48 am »

Offline mayfair

• Master Smartazz!!!
  • Shade Tree Certified
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • Awards:
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 07:32:23 am »
Just hope this helps someone else to do the job easier! 

My new headlights should be in tomorrow. Thanks again for doing the DIY brotha! :cheers:

Offline Lobster

• Master Technician
  • Your truck is almost as cool as my MINI Cooper S!
  • Awards:
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 11:55:38 am »
I totally dig the new lights!

Thanks for the DIY on this. It'll definitely help out when Jon gets back and we get him new ones :)
Why yes, I do drive a 2009 MINI Cooper S.

I am definitely a Smidget**

**A cute, small midget

Offline Justviper1

• Service Manager
  • Awards:
    ROTMDonorContributor
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 05:35:16 am »
No problem I still love these lights they work so much better than stock especially since I installed HID lights in the highs lows and fogs.

Offline AgentSmith5150

• Awards:
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2011, 04:47:38 am »
Sorry to dig this one up, but where does one find these headlights?

Offline Kilch123

• Mechanical God!!!
  • Thanks Pat and Adam!!!
  • Awards:
    DECEMBER ROTM 2011Mile High500 HPDistinguishedTech CertifiedDonorAir Force
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2011, 04:49:04 am »
There are quite a few places:

LMC Trucks

CarID.com (where I got mine)

***Currently at Smokin Okie Diesel - Enid OK***
99 3500QCLB 6x6 5 Speed - D Tech Twins,SB DD3600,Adrenaline/Pulse,Smarty,DDP 110's,Hamilton's,ARP Studs,Airdog,CFE+,Silverline4",Mag-Hytec F/R,Amsoil-B2B,Isspro Performax Boost/EGT & Fuel-pillar mount,2Low Mod,BD SBS and Short Shifter, All LED

516/1127     9/18/09
14.788/93.78  8/8/09

If You Are Not Willing To Stand Behind Our Troops, Please Feel Free To Stand In Front Of Them!

Offline AgentSmith5150

• Awards:
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2011, 05:18:02 pm »
Much appreciated :)

Offline mayfair

• Master Smartazz!!!
  • Shade Tree Certified
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • Awards: