270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1830 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: Mopar ATF4+  (Read 20097 times)

Offline lilfroger

• Administrator
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • Not a "god" ... I just talk a lot
  • Awards:
    ROTMDonorARMYMOTY
Mopar ATF4+
« on: March 21, 2009, 04:22:25 pm »
I ran Royal Purple MaxATF in my truck for about 6 months.  It did seem to shift a tad better at first but with in a month it was getting worse.

I do BELIEVE my TC was already starting to bake before I ever put the Royal Purple in my transmission so I'm NOT saying that RP baked my trans!

But when the truck was in the shop I did some research on if I should put the RP back in or go with something else after they were done.

Dave reminded me that up until a few years ago no one made a ATF+4 for Dodge except Dodge.  It was a proprietary formula.  That got me thinking OK who does Dodge allow to make their special secret formula then?

First thing I learned was that the Mopar ATF +4 is a full synthetic right from the factory.  Our automatic transmissions never run a dino oil in them.

Next thing I learned is some brands are licensed to re-brand: just use the same formula as Chrysler and some are licensed to blend: modify the formula with in specifications.

The most interesting part I learned...is neither Royal Purple nor Amsoil (Tommy / Ray you find me proof that Chrysler has licensed them to reblend and I'll change this) are on their list.

http://www.centerforqa.com/licensedatf4brands.html

Advance Auto Parts ATF+4®
Carquest ATF+4®
Castrol ATF+4®
Chevron ATF+4®
Citgo Transgard ATF+4®
Coastal ATF+4®
Conklin ATF-Xtra Plus ATF+4®
Formula Shell ATF+4®
Great Wall ATF+4®
Havoline ATF+4®
MAG 1 ATF+4®
Mobil ATF+4®
Mobil Super ATF+4®
Mopar ATF+4®
MotoMaster ATF+4®
NAPA ATF+4®
Northland ATF+4®
O’Reilly ATF+4®
Parts Master ATF+4®
Parts Plus ATF+4®
Pennzoil ATF+4®
Petro-Canada ATF+4®
Quaker State ATF+4®
Ravenol ATF+4®
Sinopec ATF+4®
Super Tech ATF+4®
Texamatic DC ATF+4®
Ultramax ATF+4®
Valvoline ATF+4®

I'm sticking with Mopar ATF4+ from now on.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 04:25:27 pm by lilfroger »
Install, Owners, & Service Manuals for many years & makes:
http://www.scribd.com/lilfroger

Jr. Mechanic

Re: Mopar ATF4+
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2009, 05:04:42 pm »
Im running good old Dexron III in my transmission.  However, I wouldn't recommend it in anything but a 42/46RE/RH transmission.

Offline Mitch

• Mechanical God!!!
  • Awards:
    500ROTMDonorContributorArmy
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2009, 05:41:48 pm »
Would that matter in a manual transmission?
2022 2500 Laramie CCLB, 6.7 CTD, stock
57 Chevy 3200 pickup, 12V swap
1985 Jeep CJ10A former Tug- Dana 60, 6cyl Nissan diesel
2020 Mahindra Roxor, Dana 60s F/R, Ag tires

Offline lilfroger

• Administrator
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • Not a "god" ... I just talk a lot
  • Awards:
    ROTMDonorARMYMOTY
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2009, 05:53:01 pm »
Even manual transmissions use ATF+4

MANUAL TRANSMISSION
NOTE: DaimlerChrysler recommends using MoparT lubricants or lubricants of equal quality.
- Getrag 238 - MoparT ATF+4 Transmission Fluid
- G 56 - MoparT ATF+4 Transmission Fluid
- T-56 - MoparT Synthetic 75W-85 Manual Transmission Lubricant
Install, Owners, & Service Manuals for many years & makes:
http://www.scribd.com/lilfroger

Offline Mitch

• Mechanical God!!!
  • Awards:
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2009, 06:31:03 pm »
I know that. I am running Amsoil ATF+4 right now. I am asking would if I am running anything else other than Mopar, since Amsoil is not approved for use. Though in the owners manual, it states Mopar ATF+4 or equivalent.

Offline Methos

• Slowly going crazy....
  • Administrator
  • NASCAR Crewmember
  • Awards:
    MOTY200K400 HPDonor
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2009, 08:56:05 pm »
Mitch,  I can't speak the amsoil ATF+4, but I did have shifting problems immediately after using a different brand (cant recall which one) of ATF+4 in mine.  On Dave's advice I dumped it and refilled with Mopar fluid and the hard shifting I was getting went away.

Offline Mitch

• Mechanical God!!!
  • Awards:
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2009, 09:21:58 pm »
I have not noticed any difference in shifting at all. That is why I was asking, would there be any affect for a Manual transmission. She has got me worried now. I will ask over at CF.

Offline Methos

• Slowly going crazy....
  • Administrator
  • NASCAR Crewmember
  • Awards:
    MOTY200K400 HPDonor
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2009, 09:28:04 pm »
You're likely ok then.  I noticed mine didn't want to go into 2nd/3rd within a day or two of having the other fluid in.

Offline Mitch

• Mechanical God!!!
  • Awards:
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2009, 09:33:21 pm »
Come to think of it, I can shift without clutching much easier with the new fluid. I could never get it into 6th without grinding with the stock fluid. I only use the clutch when starting off.

Offline FroneDaddy

• Shade Tree Certified
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Awards:
    MileHighShade TreeDonorContributorFF
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2009, 01:48:07 pm »
If I remember correctly, that's very hard on the syncros to shift without the clutch.
I'm An and I Drive A

Offline blowin_soot

• Service Manager
  • Vote for SOOT!!!
  • Awards:
    100kROTMDonor
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2009, 02:32:35 pm »
I was always taught it was hard on the synchros and the gears, if you get back on it too soon you run the risk of using only part of the gear instead of the whole gear.

2006 2500 Megacab CTD, DTT auto built by the guys at AAMCO of Reno, a little tweak here and there.

www.oldblue1954.blogspot.com

Offline Drew

• I'm a verb, ask me how you can drew
  • Tech Certified
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • Gentlemen, BEHOLD!!!
  • Awards:
    100krotmDonor400 HPArmyTechCert
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2009, 01:22:11 am »
hot shifting like that will kill the syncro's quick. the syncro's are tabbed to give a little movement to help slow down or speed up the gear set. putting a load on the syncro will bust that tab and possibly cause you to loose the gear.

this is exactly what happened to yoda due to the slave cylinder going out and I was riding the syncro's causing hard shifting in 1-2-3.

OTR trucks usualy hot shift since there are no syncros in those trannies. the gear set is so massive to hold up to the torque of the engine and the loads it carries the syncro's would wear out in a few thousand miles. plus with the lack of the syncro, it gives a larger contact patch with the gear and the selector ring.

Drew [droo]

-verb
1. pt. of draw
2. to procrastinate on and talk about the need to upgrade stock parts while operating said parts to beyond the point of failure

Offline Tommygunz

• 2009 Fantasy NASCAR Champ
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Rocket Surgeon
  • Awards:
    ROTM400HPAFDonor
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2009, 01:22:59 am »
All I can find on a quick search of my literature is that the Amsoil Universal ATF is recommended for use for any Chrsyler Transmission requiring ATF+ thru ATF+4 as well as many other transmissions.

I can also tell you that my slushbox is running 100% Amsoil as is the rest of my rig and it couldn't be shifting better, even after the track and dyno thrashing.

I beleive I have sold some tranny fluid to some others on here, I don't keep track though. .
2007 Mega Dually Laramie,Garmons Diesel Performance Tow Transmission, Edge Juice+CTS, Custom intake, Banks Smartlock & Exhaust Brake,Air Bagged Rear Axle, Kenwood DNX 7160 NAV system, Aero 4040xl, Bushwacker Pocket Front Fender Flares, Surco 50X60 Roof Rack, Homegrown Rhino'd Rockers and Bed, Functional Scooped Fiberglass Hood

Offline Mitch

• Mechanical God!!!
  • Awards:
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2009, 01:24:32 am »
hot shifting like that will kill the syncro's quick. the syncro's are tabbed to give a little movement to help slow down or speed up the gear set. putting a load on the syncro will bust that tab and possibly cause you to loose the gear.

this is exactly what happened to yoda due to the slave cylinder going out and I was riding the syncro's causing hard shifting in 1-2-3.

OTR trucks usualy hot shift since there are no syncros in those trannies. the gear set is so massive to hold up to the torque of the engine and the loads it carries the syncro's would wear out in a few thousand miles. plus with the lack of the syncro, it gives a larger contact patch with the gear and the selector ring.
Well that scares the hell outta me. I wish I had known this a few thousand miles ago.

Offline Tommygunz

• 2009 Fantasy NASCAR Champ
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Rocket Surgeon
  • Awards:
    ROTM400HPAFDonor
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2009, 01:41:27 am »
Dug a bit deeper, here is what I have found.

Chryslers hold on the ATF+ thru ATF+4 patents is real. They created it to fix sifting problems their trannies had in the first place. In 1999 ATF+4 was prefilled in some transmissions in the factory and by 2000 all chrysler transmissions were using ATF+4 except the mini vans.

They also did offer the rebranding and blending to four oil companies back then. Amsoil has applied for the licensing but D/C has denied them and several other companies at every turn. There was a suit filed under the Magnussen Moss Auto Warranty law, but I am uncertain of the outcome of that.

What I can tell you as a fact is that Amsoil Universal ATF outperforms D/C and other licenced ATF+4 oils on every level. Amsoil created their own additives to add to their current Dexron Mercon universal blend ATF to make it compliant.

I can get better info later.. Some of this is hard to research on a Sunday night.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 01:49:40 am by Tommygunz »
2007 Mega Dually Laramie,Garmons Diesel Performance Tow Transmission, Edge Juice+CTS, Custom intake, Banks Smartlock & Exhaust Brake,Air Bagged Rear Axle, Kenwood DNX 7160 NAV system, Aero 4040xl, Bushwacker Pocket Front Fender Flares, Surco 50X60 Roof Rack, Homegrown Rhino'd Rockers and Bed, Functional Scooped Fiberglass Hood

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc