270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1830 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: DIY 3rd Gen Rear Differential Fluid Change  (Read 10259 times)

Offline RamItOne

• Awards:
DIY 3rd Gen Rear Differential Fluid Change
« on: June 18, 2008, 07:52:37 pm »
Alright folks- dodge calls for this to be done every 15,000 miles, from the best that ive been able to find out, its mainly due to the LSD models due to the clutch retainer packs falling down and getting ground up into the ring and pinion....

Things needed
13mm socket
Differential fluid (check owners manual for your specific capacities), i use Amsoil severe gear
RTV Silicone
Razor blade (to scrape old RTV off)
Brake cleaner
Rags
Large catch pan
Flathead screwdriver (maybe)

First start off by lossening the top two bolts, don't take them out, they will still need to be able to hold the cover.
Then undo the bottom 4 completely. If you can't break the RTV seal then use the flathead gently and slide in the bottom and use it like a pry bar, now as i said, use it gently so you dont dent the metal. This will allow most of the fluid to come out in a controlled manor.
Next unbolt the next 2 on each side (they are the only two that form a verticle line)  This should then get the rest of the fluid out.
Then unbolt all bolts and remove cover...

Now that the cover is off
Check the teeth on the ring and pinion for any chipping as this could lead to a rear end failure.
There is a magnet at the bottom of the pumpkin, check for and remove any metal filings you find.
Some people pull the rest of the fluid out by hand (use gloves), there should not be much to pull out and is not a needed step.

Now take brake cleaner to the existing RTV silicone and then use the razor blade to scrape it off, don't forget to do the same to the part of the housing that remains on the truck.

Now youre ready to put the RTV silicone on the truck, you will want to make one continuous bead, looping every hole for the bolts. Attach the cover back to the truck and hand tighten all bolts, then tighten each bolt with the socket wrench, at 25 pound/feet (25 #/ft is approx and you do not need a torque wrench)

Let sit for up to an hour before filling the differential up with the fluid you bought ( I personally do it right away and do not wait)

Drive it around the block, come back and check the level, it should be .5 inch below fill hole.

Notes
2500/3500 use Gaskets not RTV, the Unbolting process i described was for the 9.25 but the similar concept can be used for the 2500/3500 pumpkins
If you buy differential fluid that comes in bottles similar to oil bottles then youll need a hand pump ($10-$20) or you can buy the ones that have a nozzle and you squirt in.

You should be on level ground when filling up the differential fluid. If you must jack your truck up to get to the rear axle use jack stands after you lift it and make sure they are rated for more than your trucks weight.

You may want to consider buying a larger pan so it will keep the temperature down a few degrees and if you tow quite a bit buying one with a thermostat hole would be a good idea. Also a lot of after market covers have a drain plug which makes it a cleaner job.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions

Should take you 1hr the first time and 45 min or so once youve done it before.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 08:41:15 pm by RamItOne »

Just Imagine how many rep points I'd have if I didn't piss off so many people.

DF Member  "But I'm not going to get to pissed at you, might need to sick you on some ahole one day"

Offline Buzzy

• To Bad I can't really shake it that good
  • Administrator
  • NASCAR Crewmember
  • Awards:
    ROTYROTMDonation
Re: DIY 3rd Gen Rear Differential Fluid Change
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 07:56:16 pm »
Kick ass!! Our FIRST DYI  . Well Done RamIt !!

Offline RamItOne

• Awards:
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 07:58:27 pm »
No prob, will do an Oil Change DIY, Throttle Body cleaning DIY and Spark plug DIY but thatll be later, almost burned my pizza typing this one up..

DF Member  "But I'm not going to get to pissed at you, might need to sick you on some ahole one day"

Offline QUACKSTACKER

• Sr Technician
  • Superman owns a pair of Chuck Norris pajamas.
  • Awards:
    High Milage
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 09:47:17 pm »
nice write up!  i guess i need to do mine.  its been about 40k since last one.

Offline NickC

• Mechanical God!!!
  • V-neck pimp daddy
  • Awards:
    100kHeavyrotm400Donor
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 12:25:52 am »
nice write up, makes me wanna get out there and get r dun!

i am at 32k on my truck and i have never done this. it makes me think who in here HAS? because every 15k sounds really often. i will have to make it a weekend project when i get some time but just outta curiosity.... how much does that oil and gasket cost?

05 2500 AUTO 4X4 4:10 LARAMIE CTD-CAT/SILENCER RING?, AERO 4040XL, SMARTY, XM RADIO, RECON CAB LIGHTS, CUP SMOOTHIE, QUAD COMMANDER, CFM+ MANIFOLD, S&B INTAKE, FOX WEATHER BOOTS

Offline RamItOne

• Awards:
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2008, 01:13:38 am »
mr gasket should be less than 20 bucks.

As for the diff oil I use 75-140 amsoil severe gear, its rated for 100k miles. I do have the LSD but I dont care if a c clip falls and shreds my teeth, I'll buy an auburn or Detroit locker at that time. So the amsoil oil runs 55 bucks or so.

Offline RamItOne

• Awards:
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2008, 02:55:09 am »
Nick since you have a 2500 i you dont have to worry about the C-Clip so i would spend the money on amsoil and do it once and forget about it for the next 100k miles.....

i run amsoil 25k for my oil, at 7k now, was planning on changing at 10k but think ill wait till 15-20k... i use an amsoil filter as well, wouldnt trust a store bought filter for that long of an interval... i know diesels usually go by hours not miles for some service intervals...

Offline NickC

• Mechanical God!!!
  • V-neck pimp daddy
  • Awards:
    100kHeavyrotm400Donor
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2008, 03:00:15 am »
i will have to look into it, it almost makes sense to go ahead and do it if its good for anywhere near 100k miles compared to the 15 that a maintenance schedule calls for... ill have to let ya'all know when i do it and what my take was on doin it. thanks again brotha for the right up!

05 2500 AUTO 4X4 4:10 LARAMIE CTD-CAT/SILENCER RING?, AERO 4040XL, SMARTY, XM RADIO, RECON CAB LIGHTS, CUP SMOOTHIE, QUAD COMMANDER, CFM+ MANIFOLD, S&B INTAKE, FOX WEATHER BOOTS

Offline RamItOne

• Awards:
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2008, 04:49:08 am »
you may consider buying a deeper pan as well, the better ones will have fins on em for better heat transfer. Or get the bad ass iron cross or ram head ones they've got.
If you plan on going that long on em your enemy is water coming in through the breather and rusting the teeth. You may want to buy a longer breather and move it higher to reduce the risk of water getting in. I need to order one and I plan on drilling into the bed where the rear tie down opening is and run it up there. I have eyelets on so there's no way water will come in from the top and I'll be in the river if it comes in from the bottom.

Your front breather already comes up into your engine bay so youre safe there.

Offline DBLR

• Master Technician
  • Awards:
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2008, 04:09:38 pm »
Below is what Amsoil shows for Severe Gear oil life no matter if its 75/140 or 75/90:

Cars, SUV, Light & Medium Duty Trucks:    Drain at 100,000 miles of service or according to the owner’s manual, whichever is longer. For Sever use Drain at 50,000 miles of service or according to the owner’s manual, whichever is longer
2006 QC SB 4x4 3.73 Nerf Bars,
2011 Dodge Grand Caravan RT,

Offline RamItOne

• Awards:
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2008, 07:25:51 pm »
whats odd is even though my rear end is what the 2500/3500 use for their front end mine calls for 145 in the rear and 90 in the front, and the 25/3500 call for 90 in both front and rear....

Offline Cumminalong

• Master of Destruction - Breaker of performance parts
  • Official DOF Vendor
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • The BOMB'r
  • Awards:
    1100ROTYMember of the Year1 Tech
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2008, 12:13:03 am »
Do you mind if I move these up to the DIY section?

Offline RamItOne

• Awards:
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2008, 12:22:54 am »
go for it.

Maybe add a DIY link in 3rd gen as well.

Offline Cumminalong

• Master of Destruction - Breaker of performance parts
  • Official DOF Vendor
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • The BOMB'r
  • Awards:
    1100ROTYMember of the Year1 Tech
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2008, 01:12:54 am »
I made the DIY section like this:

Ram DIY
Cummins DIY