270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1830 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: Looking to get a bike.  (Read 4577 times)

Offline Verrucktwolf

• NASCAR Crewmember
  • Awards:
    Donor
Looking to get a bike.
« on: April 28, 2009, 01:24:58 pm »
Alright, I've wanted a motorcycle for years and I've finally convinced my wife into letting me get one when we have the extra money.  Thing is, I've NEVER driven a motorcycle before.  What would be a good bike to start out on to learn everything?  I know the local Harley dealer does the whole course and classes on Buells, but are they a good bike to buy and learn on?  Or should I look into finding a good used bike?  I would like it to be something that I can take the wife along on.  One thing though, it has to be AMERICAN.  If I'm caught on anything else by some of my family, you won't be hearing from me for a long time.  And I'm not joking about that either. 
2003 Neon SXT, Flowmaster Exhaust, 16" Fittipaldi Flame rims wrapped in Continental ContiProContact tires

Offline Haggret

• Sr Technician
  • Awards:
    Donor
Re: Looking to get a bike.
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 02:17:03 pm »
What I would suggest is taking the course first before you buy a bike.  I bought my Harley before taking the course myself only because I had ridding experience.  But, what I learned was ridding on the road in traffic conditions and ridding off road is totally different.  Plus I found the course to be a lot of fun.  I took the course through Harley.  But, a lot of the community colleges also offer motorcycle courses.  We road the Buel Blast's in the Harley course.  It is a nice little bike for beginners and just the perfect size for taking the test.  Plus, it will give you a good idea of what you are really looking for and are comfortable with in selecting a bike to buy.

Offline Verrucktwolf

• NASCAR Crewmember
  • Awards:
    Donor
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 02:49:42 pm »
I could probably buy my cousins when he wants to get a new one in a few years.  He and my uncle used to get a new Harley every year and trade in their old one.  But I know he hasn't done that in a few years since my uncle tore his bicep and peck trying to pick up his bike after the kick stand broke.  I'm just alittle affraid of getting a big cruiser or touring bike and not be able to handle it or pick it up if I accidently dump it.  Oh well, practice makes perfect.
2003 Neon SXT, Flowmaster Exhaust, 16" Fittipaldi Flame rims wrapped in Continental ContiProContact tires

Offline lilfroger

• Administrator
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • Not a "god" ... I just talk a lot
  • Awards:
    ROTMDonorARMYMOTY
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 03:08:26 pm »
I second, third, and fourth a MSF rider course!  http://www.msf-usa.org/ There are multiple levels of classes so it's not a one time deal either.  next fall I plan on doing the intermediate course to pick up some more.  I need to hit that stupid box turn though still :argh:

Riding is a ton of fun and it sounds like you already have others to ride with.  That's a good thing!

Don't be afraid of a bigger bike.  There are tips and trips to do everything on a bigger bike.  But you have to pick the bike that's right for you. Nothing is worse that being uncomfortable while riding.  You'll spend so much time thinking about wanting to move your foot you'll miss the car coming around the corner. 

Most dealerships here if you have your state endorsement will allow you to test ride.  I had a blast riding everything I liked and picking one to take home.
Install, Owners, & Service Manuals for many years & makes:
http://www.scribd.com/lilfroger

Offline Haggret

• Sr Technician
  • Awards:
    Donor
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 03:14:22 pm »
Yeah.  I wouldn't recommend jumping right into a big cruiser right off the bat.  The big bikes are nice and are very comfertible to ride.  But, they can be a beast to ride.  Plus, the bigger the bike the harder it is to take the test.  I didn't buy one of the big cruisers.  I bought a Standard Soft-tail.  But, it was still a lot heavier and bigger than the dirt bikes I used to ride.  It took a little getting used to.  And because you have never driven a bike before, I would not recommend taking on a passenger until you have some experience and riding time under your belt.  Safety first.

Offline Haggret

• Sr Technician
  • Awards:
    Donor
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 03:26:51 pm »
Dealerships here in Maryland will not let you test ride.  To much liability I guess.  What they do here is rent bikes out but you have to have your endorsements first.  I'm not sure how they work out the insurance thing.  I'm guessing they have some sort of thing where you can purchase insurance as part of the rental.

What Harley does at some of the events is offer free demo rides.  They do this at Gettysburg Bike week in July and York Bike Week in October.  But again, you have to have your endorsements first.

Offline Verrucktwolf

• NASCAR Crewmember
  • Awards:
    Donor
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2009, 04:03:50 pm »
I'm probably gonna end up renting a few before I decide to buy one, but I'm hoping that I can find a decent Buel used.  And knowing my wife, she won't want to ride along until I have alot of experience.  I know that Cecil Community does the training every other weekend, but they require your own bike and Mike's Famous isn't too far down the road in Delaware.  I've have to check with the local HD dealership and see what they do for the course.  It's privately owned, unlike the HD of Baltimore, so I don't know if they offer Buels or not.  This will give me plenty to research while I'm at work.  Thanks Dave and Jo.

Offline Haggret

• Sr Technician
  • Awards:
    Donor
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2009, 04:20:17 pm »
Yes.  The HD of Baltimore does use the Beul's.  I took the course through HD of Annapolis.  They both use the same instructors, bikes, and course.  I do not believe that Essex CC offers a motorcycle endorsment course.  But, I think that Harford CC does.  I know Carroll CC and Anne Arundel CC offer one.

Offline mayfair

• Master Smartazz!!!
  • Shade Tree Certified
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • Last 8 - w j 1 8 7 6 2 5
  • Awards:
    rotm200k400 HPShade TreeContributorDonor
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2009, 04:26:57 pm »
I don't know how much you're looking to spend, but I think I'm ready to let my Sporty go

I've had it for years and threw a BADD AZZ custom paint job on it, but since it fell off of the bike stand in my garage and crushed the tank I can't even bear to take the cover off of it. It just makes me sick.

It's a 1994 Hugger that is TOTALLY tricked out. All it needs is a tank, front fender, and maybe a mirror and a turn signal. Nothing much. I've got WELL over 12K into it, but I'd sell it as is for 4K.

Offline NickC

• Mechanical God!!!
  • V-neck pimp daddy
  • Awards:
    100kHeavyrotm400Donor
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2009, 04:41:17 pm »
I don't know how much you're looking to spend, but I think I'm ready to let my Sporty go

I've had it for years and threw a BADD AZZ custom paint job on it, but since it fell off of the bike stand in my garage and crushed the tank I can't even bear to take the cover off of it. It just makes me sick.

It's a 1994 Hugger that is TOTALLY tricked out. All it needs is a tank, front fender, and maybe a mirror and a turn signal. Nothing much. I've got WELL over 12K into it, but I'd sell it as is for 4K.

:pics:

;D

05 2500 AUTO 4X4 4:10 LARAMIE CTD-CAT/SILENCER RING?, AERO 4040XL, SMARTY, XM RADIO, RECON CAB LIGHTS, CUP SMOOTHIE, QUAD COMMANDER, CFM+ MANIFOLD, S&B INTAKE, FOX WEATHER BOOTS

Offline mayfair

• Master Smartazz!!!
  • Shade Tree Certified
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • Awards:
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2009, 04:55:28 pm »
I'l post pics ( I know I've posted them before ) of what the bike LOOKED like, but unless someone is serious, I ain't takin the cover off. It just makes me sick. 

I know it's an easy fix, but it just makes me sick to see the damage done to a once perfect bike.

I'll post them later. I'm on my CRAPintosh right now

:lol:

Offline Verrucktwolf

• NASCAR Crewmember
  • Awards:
    Donor
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2009, 05:41:29 pm »
I appriciate the offer Mayfair, but I know I won't have the extra $$$ for at least another year.  Just trying to narrow down my options right now as to what I should look into.

Offline mayfair

• Master Smartazz!!!
  • Shade Tree Certified
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • Awards:
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2009, 05:57:49 pm »
LOL .... It may still be there in a year. Obviously i don't ride it anymore

:43:

Offline Haggret

• Sr Technician
  • Awards:
    Donor
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2009, 07:04:16 pm »
 :hijack:

Not trying to hijack the subject.  But, that does suck mayfair.  You really have to watch the kickstands on Harleys.  They are notorious for that.  If the stand is not all the way forward, the bike can tip real quick.  One of the sales people told me that when I was looking to buy.  And, for that reason they don't let people sit on the bikes with out assistance.  I learned this the hard way when I first brought mine home.

Offline mayfair

• Master Smartazz!!!
  • Shade Tree Certified
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • Awards:
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2009, 07:11:18 pm »
I'm aware of the kickstand issue, and I wish it was from that height, but it wasn't ... it was higher

:argh:

I had just jacked the bike up to move it to it's cradle. It's the way I store the bikes when not useing them to keep them from getting flat spots. I store them on cradles.

Anyway ...

I had just jacked the bike up and put it on it's cradle, and when i went across the garage to get the straps that I use to secure it to the cradle it rolled off.

I'm just sick about it ...  :argh:

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc