270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1829 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: Looking to get a bike.  (Read 4581 times)

Offline lilfroger

• Administrator
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • Not a "god" ... I just talk a lot
  • Awards:
    ROTMDonorARMYMOTY
Re: Looking to get a bike.
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2009, 07:51:31 pm »
complete hijack...

Donny that is my EXACT fear w/ the bike lift!!  We did Simon's fluids a couple weekends ago and he gave me this odd look when I asked if there were straps to secure the bike to the lift.  I was so bloody scared we were gonna dump it off!
Install, Owners, & Service Manuals for many years & makes:
http://www.scribd.com/lilfroger

Offline mayfair

• Master Smartazz!!!
  • Shade Tree Certified
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • Last 8 - w j 1 8 7 6 2 5
  • Awards:
    rotm200k400 HPShade TreeContributorDonor
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2009, 09:10:45 pm »
Sporty's are tuff frog

They have a narrower frame, and it's a shorter frame. You've got the kickstand to deal with, as well as the kickstand stop.

With that being said, I've never had an issue with the Sporty on the jack, it's the cradle where it get's tricky. The jack fits INSIDE of the cradle, so there's not a lot of room to work. The jack has to be in the right spot or the cradle won't slide in. You've got maybe 3/4" to work either way. I guess I was off a bit and it slid down and out.

Sucks ...

Offline spencea15

• Shade Tree Certified
  • NASCAR Crewmember
  • Awards:
    DonorShade Tree Cert
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2009, 10:07:58 pm »
OK just a few points take the msf course first, you will learn alot and is worth the money.  The class offered by Harley has had 3 people die by wrecking the 500 buel. 
2000 Dakota CC slt plus, v6 :( auto.

Offline mayfair

• Master Smartazz!!!
  • Shade Tree Certified
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • Awards:
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2009, 10:11:39 pm »
+1 on the course

Check with your state first though. In PA ( believe it or not ) they offer a free course.

( They actually offered me a job as an instructor ... can you believe that?  :43: )

Offline kenz

• Michigan Historian
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Coming to a state near you
  • Awards:
    100KContributing MemberDonor
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2009, 01:31:44 am »
I also agree to take a course first. There wasn't such a thing around me when I bought my first bike. Here's how my "training" went....Arrived at Harley shop in early afternoon. Paid my $4500 or so and took delivery on a new '87 sportster hugger in purple. Talked the guy into throwing in a helmet and t-shirt. Asked how the shifter worked (never been on a motorcycle in my life), put on my new helmet and rode 45 miles home.  :ph:  I know, I know. I would never recommend this type of training. Scared the crap outta myself many times. Didn't learn though as I went back in Feb. and bought there last '87 softail custom and rode it home in 15 degree temps and a small snow squall. I highly DO NOT recommend this learning tool either. Dam near lost 'er on a ice patch. Getting off track here....the sporty is a nice size bike to learn on and is capable of doing 2 up okay. Here in Michigan when you take the endorsement test they don't require you to use your bike. Any street legal bike will work. Even told by the Sec. of State to find the smallest bike I can get. Rode 3 years before I decided I better get an endorsement. Took the test on a buddies 440 Kaw. I know bad example.   :90:  Please take the courses first, there's more traffic then before and worse drivers too. And I've seen them bike pics donny, and if I had an extra 4 grand I'd be on my way to penn state!

2005 QC Dually 2wd CTD 6-spd. SRT-6, AEM Brute Force intake, Smarty Sr., D.O.F. shift knob, 5" to dual side exit 4" exhaust, Quad Scout, road kill kat, 2011 Coachmen North Ridge fifth wheel

I MAY BE OLD, BUT I GOT TO SEE ALL THE GOOD BANDS.....

Offline NickC

• Mechanical God!!!
  • V-neck pimp daddy
  • Awards:
    100kHeavyrotm400Donor
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2009, 02:15:36 am »
Here in Michigan when you take the endorsement test they don't require you to use your bike. Any street legal bike will work. Even told by the Sec. of State to find the smallest bike I can get.

When i took my test i figured i would just rent the bike the instructor guy was offering.

It was something around 200cc's, it was kinda like those little bikes they ride in Italy.

It was hilarious to be on it, but everyone was also renting due to the ease the smaller bike provided during the coarse.

I don't think i could of passed driving my bike at the time on that teat coarse.

I was to new to the bike and how it handled....

05 2500 AUTO 4X4 4:10 LARAMIE CTD-CAT/SILENCER RING?, AERO 4040XL, SMARTY, XM RADIO, RECON CAB LIGHTS, CUP SMOOTHIE, QUAD COMMANDER, CFM+ MANIFOLD, S&B INTAKE, FOX WEATHER BOOTS

Offline mayfair

• Master Smartazz!!!
  • Shade Tree Certified
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • Awards:
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2009, 05:00:01 am »
I've seen them bike pics donny, and if I had an extra 4 grand I'd be on my way to penn state!

Thanks Ken !!

Here are some shots of it ...

Dead Mans Hand  :43:

Can ya tell I have a thing for Jokers?

:43:

Offline Verrucktwolf

• NASCAR Crewmember
  • Awards:
    Donor
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2009, 02:45:31 pm »
Damn, that is beautiful Donny.  A work of art.  Just one other problem.  My wife wouldn't be able to ride along when I get enough experience.  I'm hoping I cna find one that has a rear seat, that way I don't have to get another bike just for her to be able to go along.

Although that is a damn good excuse to get another bike as well.   ::?:
2003 Neon SXT, Flowmaster Exhaust, 16" Fittipaldi Flame rims wrapped in Continental ContiProContact tires

Offline Haggret

• Sr Technician
  • Awards:
    Donor
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2009, 02:49:19 pm »
That is an awesome looking bike.  I can see why your so sick about it falling off of the cradle.

Verrucktwolf.  I believe that Harley makes a two up seat for that bike.

Offline Verrucktwolf

• NASCAR Crewmember
  • Awards:
    Donor
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2009, 03:00:52 pm »
 ::?:, now just how to hide $4k from the wife without her spending it on archery stuff.  Damn, I'll have to hide it from myself as well.
2003 Neon SXT, Flowmaster Exhaust, 16" Fittipaldi Flame rims wrapped in Continental ContiProContact tires

Offline lilfroger

• Administrator
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • Not a "god" ... I just talk a lot
  • Awards:
    ROTMDonorARMYMOTY
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2009, 03:58:49 pm »
Give it to me...I'll hide it from you :tt2:
Install, Owners, & Service Manuals for many years & makes:
http://www.scribd.com/lilfroger

Offline mayfair

• Master Smartazz!!!
  • Shade Tree Certified
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • Awards:
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2009, 04:12:58 pm »
Just one other problem.  My wife wouldn't be able to ride along when I get enough experience.  I'm hoping I cna find one that has a rear seat

Pfft ... any chick that wanted a ride bad enough sat right on the back fender

There's quite a few scratches on that fender

:43:

I actually got one of those lick and stick seats for my ladyfriend. She was cool with it, but obviously once I got the fatboy, she fell in LOVE with a real seat

:lol:
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 04:19:38 pm by lilfroger »

Offline Verrucktwolf

• NASCAR Crewmember
  • Awards:
    Donor
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2009, 04:40:44 pm »
Give it to me...I'll hide it from you :tt2:

Lil, I know better then to trust ANY woman with that much money, especially when it's my money.

Donny, if you still have that bike after I finish the course and get my endorsement, I WILL be knocking on your door with the cash.

Offline kenz

• Michigan Historian
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Coming to a state near you
  • Awards:
    100KContributing MemberDonor
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2009, 02:16:36 am »
Ya' my sporty came with only a single seat. Put a p-pad and shorty backrest on it. Worked pretty good. I just loved that factory purple paint..

2005 QC Dually 2wd CTD 6-spd. SRT-6, AEM Brute Force intake, Smarty Sr., D.O.F. shift knob, 5" to dual side exit 4" exhaust, Quad Scout, road kill kat, 2011 Coachmen North Ridge fifth wheel

I MAY BE OLD, BUT I GOT TO SEE ALL THE GOOD BANDS.....

Offline mayfair

• Master Smartazz!!!
  • Shade Tree Certified
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • Awards:
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2009, 05:18:43 am »
Donny, if you still have that bike after I finish the course and get my endorsement, I WILL be knocking on your door with the cash.

It'll probably be there.

I'm not really pushing it. This is the first time that I mentioned selling it anywhere.

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc