270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1830 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: Squeaky sound in the front?!  (Read 7026 times)

Offline NickC

• Mechanical God!!!
  • V-neck pimp daddy
  • Awards:
    100kHeavyrotm400Donor
Squeaky sound in the front?!
« on: June 08, 2009, 03:37:48 am »
Today i was leaving my driveway and as i was turning out it was making a screeching sound as i was moving with the wheel turned. It does not make any sound when i am going straight but as soon as i turn the wheel in either direction, it squeaks at me and its linked with my speed.

Is there something i should be greasing in there like the u joints or something?

My brakes dont see to be the problem either, i have not noticed a difference in the braking and it squeaks without pressing the brake.

I took a look in there after i parked it and to be honest, i felt like someone would feel if they just found an alien aircraft landing in a field... im clueless to how the front end works but i did see a joint and im thinking it could be the problem?!

I also dont know if its coming from just one side or both, it just sounds like its coming from the front. Also, the truck as 41k on it and as far as i know, nothing has ever been greased up there...

Whats wrong with me doctor's? 

05 2500 AUTO 4X4 4:10 LARAMIE CTD-CAT/SILENCER RING?, AERO 4040XL, SMARTY, XM RADIO, RECON CAB LIGHTS, CUP SMOOTHIE, QUAD COMMANDER, CFM+ MANIFOLD, S&B INTAKE, FOX WEATHER BOOTS

Offline FroneDaddy

• Shade Tree Certified
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Awards:
    MileHighShade TreeDonorContributorFF
Re: Squeaky sound in the front?!
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 03:42:40 am »
Maybe it's your springs telling you that you need to get those Timbren's from carrying that plow around all winter ;)
I'm An and I Drive A

Offline 04cumminsram

• Official DOF Vendor
  • NASCAR Crewmember
  • U.S Army Vet 2000-2008
  • Awards:
    600 HPTech CertifiedROTMHigh MileUS ArmyDonor
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 03:52:25 am »
sounds to be a wheel bearing mine is doing the same thing
Smokin Okie Diesel
Sales, Service, Installation and Support

Offline NickC

• Mechanical God!!!
  • V-neck pimp daddy
  • Awards:
    100kHeavyrotm400Donor
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 03:52:38 am »
Haha, to be honest, i wish it was!

It would give me a reason to go out tomorrow and upgrade since i have such a hard time spending money on things that are not broke.

05 2500 AUTO 4X4 4:10 LARAMIE CTD-CAT/SILENCER RING?, AERO 4040XL, SMARTY, XM RADIO, RECON CAB LIGHTS, CUP SMOOTHIE, QUAD COMMANDER, CFM+ MANIFOLD, S&B INTAKE, FOX WEATHER BOOTS

Offline NickC

• Mechanical God!!!
  • V-neck pimp daddy
  • Awards:
    100kHeavyrotm400Donor
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009, 03:54:47 am »
Wheel bearing huh?

Whats it take to grease or replace that?

I thought about putting my truck onto a big pulley system, lifting it with it's nose down, then dipping it into a big pool of WD-40  :lol:

Would that fix my problem??

Offline 04cumminsram

• Official DOF Vendor
  • NASCAR Crewmember
  • U.S Army Vet 2000-2008
  • Awards:
    600 HPTech CertifiedROTMHigh MileUS ArmyDonor
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009, 03:57:01 am »
it may do it... lol

you have to replace them its your hub/bearing thing
Smokin Okie Diesel
Sales, Service, Installation and Support

Offline Buford445

• Mechanical God!!!
  • I'm a little teapot short & stout
  • Awards:
    ROTMContributorDonation
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2009, 01:05:14 pm »
Here you go for the wheel bearing http://dodgeownerforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=6434.0
Is it a squeak or clicking if it is clicking could be your front axle U-Joints

Thanks To HTS Transmission

PEOPLE MAY NOT REMEMBER EXACTLY
WHAT YOU DID, OR WHAT YOU SAID ~BUT~THEY WILL
ALWAYS REMEMBER HOW YOU MADE THEM
FEEL.

Offline Kilch123

• Mechanical God!!!
  • Thanks Pat and Adam!!!
  • Awards:
    DECEMBER ROTM 2011Mile High500 HPDistinguishedTech CertifiedDonorAir Force
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2009, 02:23:18 pm »
First thing that I would do is have someone else turn the wheel while you listen for the noise and try to pinpoint it

Do you have to be moving for the squeak to occur?  Or will it squeak when stopped?

The first thing I would look at would be the belt to see if it is slipping - did the steering feel tough when you heard the squeak?
***Currently at Smokin Okie Diesel - Enid OK***
99 3500QCLB 6x6 5 Speed - D Tech Twins,SB DD3600,Adrenaline/Pulse,Smarty,DDP 110's,Hamilton's,ARP Studs,Airdog,CFE+,Silverline4",Mag-Hytec F/R,Amsoil-B2B,Isspro Performax Boost/EGT & Fuel-pillar mount,2Low Mod,BD SBS and Short Shifter, All LED

516/1127     9/18/09
14.788/93.78  8/8/09

If You Are Not Willing To Stand Behind Our Troops, Please Feel Free To Stand In Front Of Them!

Offline NickC

• Mechanical God!!!
  • V-neck pimp daddy
  • Awards:
    100kHeavyrotm400Donor
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2009, 05:04:25 pm »
There was no change or difference in steering or handling , everything is OK there.

The squeaking is defiantly linked to movement, when i stop or slow the noise also stops or slows.

Its not a clicking sound, its a squeaking sound and it sounds like something needs to be lubed. So i guess that draws out my random guess of the u-joints being bad?

I thought about having someone drive the truck while i listened, but to do this, i would have to macgyver the hood on my stomach as someone drove in circles in a parking lot :scratch:

I just read Rich's DIY and this is what i found in there:

It all depends. My truck has seen VERY minor off-roading and the joints lasted 46K miles.

I've heard of them going out as early as 12K.

Big tires, lots of offset on wheels, of-roading, heavy loads up front (i.e. plows), can all shorten the life of them.

Now, i have bigger tires and occasionally plow... Im at 41k on the odo... Could it be my ball joints? Or do those not squeak?

Offline Kilch123

• Mechanical God!!!
  • Thanks Pat and Adam!!!
  • Awards:
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2009, 05:08:53 pm »
Ball joints would squeak when turning - not at all speed related

If you're in a turn, and it's squeaking, press the brake pedal, but keep moving (power thru) does the squeak stop?

Could it be the 'squealer bar' on the brake shoes touching the rotor?  Have you ever changed front brakes?
99 3500QCLB 6x6 5 Speed - D Tech Twins,SB DD3600,Adrenaline/Pulse,Smarty,DDP 110's,Hamilton's,ARP Studs,Airdog,CFE+,Silverline4",Mag-Hytec F/R,Amsoil-B2B,Isspro Performax Boost/EGT & Fuel-pillar mount,2Low Mod,BD SBS and Short Shifter, All LED

516/1127     9/18/09
14.788/93.78  8/8/09

If You Are Not Willing To Stand Behind Our Troops, Please Feel Free To Stand In Front Of Them!

Offline NickC

• Mechanical God!!!
  • V-neck pimp daddy
  • Awards:
    100kHeavyrotm400Donor
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2009, 05:43:04 pm »
No i have not changed the front brakes before but it squeaks when im not on the brake. The squeaker bar would not be touching unless i was applying the brake, right?

I will have to try that out (braking through the turn) and see if it stops or keeps squeaking.

It was raining pretty good here today and i don't think it was doing it as loud as it was yesterday (dryer) so ill have to see about this tomorrow on my way to work.

Offline Kilch123

• Mechanical God!!!
  • Thanks Pat and Adam!!!
  • Awards:
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2009, 05:43:53 pm »
:popc:

516/1127     9/18/09
14.788/93.78  8/8/09

Offline NickC

• Mechanical God!!!
  • V-neck pimp daddy
  • Awards:
    100kHeavyrotm400Donor
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2009, 06:09:17 pm »
Well it stopped raining so i figured i would go out with a video camera and see if i tape it in the act but it wont squeak today  :censored:

Yesterday i was embarrassed to make a turn out of a parking lot with my friends standing by because of how ugly it sounded  :scratch:

I took a look at my pads and they are down pretty good, there only looks to be around a quarter inch left on the fronts... maybe it is the bar on the pads??

Im hoping its just a matter of swapping the pads.

Ill have to see if i can get it to do it again tomorrow, ill bring a camera with me and ill try the braking through the turn...

Thanks for your words so far Tom!

Offline Kilch123

• Mechanical God!!!
  • Thanks Pat and Adam!!!
  • Awards:
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2009, 06:17:31 pm »
Cool - usually brake squeal will quiet down after a rain or from washing your truck

May be that...

Buy the pads and bring them this weekend - only takes a few minutes to change them out

516/1127     9/18/09
14.788/93.78  8/8/09

Offline NickC

• Mechanical God!!!
  • V-neck pimp daddy
  • Awards:
    100kHeavyrotm400Donor
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2009, 06:27:15 pm »
HAHA, dont tempt me to bring a "to-do" list to our G2G  :lol:

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc