270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1830 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: 2002 2wd Extended Cab CTD Chip/Programmer Recommendations  (Read 1792 times)

Offline Moparpower151

• Master Technician
  • Better than Yesterday...
  • Awards:
    Mile HighDonorFireFighter
2002 2wd Extended Cab CTD Chip/Programmer Recommendations
« on: September 24, 2009, 03:55:36 am »
Hey 2nd Gen Peeps, a buddy of mine just picked up a 2002 CTD 2WD SRW and he is looking for the best chip for fuel mileage. He says he's not really concerned with power too much as he's wanting to keep it as reliable as possible. I've told him to run Amsoil or Royal Purple in the diffs and trans and it should give him a small gain. Should I suggest a air intake or anything else along with whatever tuner you fellas say is best for his needs?

Thanks in advance!
DoF, it's like family, but with more straight jacket and less restraining order.

Offline 04cumminsram

• Official DOF Vendor
  • NASCAR Crewmember
  • U.S Army Vet 2000-2008
  • Awards:
    600 HPTech CertifiedROTMHigh MileUS ArmyDonor
Re: 2002 2wd Extended Cab CTD Chip/Programmer Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 04:16:55 am »
quad adrenalin witha  pulse is about the baddest one out and to be honest i have one right here on the floor at the house left over from the show on saturday !!! the pulse is nice because it saves you the gauge purchase and you can tune the adrenaline to run however you like it !
Smokin Okie Diesel
Sales, Service, Installation and Support

Offline Kilch123

• Mechanical God!!!
  • Thanks Pat and Adam!!!
  • Awards:
    DECEMBER ROTM 2011Mile High500 HPDistinguishedTech CertifiedDonorAir Force
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 04:33:38 am »
I agree with Adam

A cold air intake (Like the AFE) and a 4" turbo back exhaust will open it up, but you won't really see mileage gains from them

Now - when he first installs the Adrenaline, the mileage will go way down (the novelty factor :burn:) but if he tunes for mileage (keeps the box set on 1 or 2) and stays off the skinny pedal, he'll see the best results
***Currently at Smokin Okie Diesel - Enid OK***
99 3500QCLB 6x6 5 Speed - D Tech Twins,SB DD3600,Adrenaline/Pulse,Smarty,DDP 110's,Hamilton's,ARP Studs,Airdog,CFE+,Silverline4",Mag-Hytec F/R,Amsoil-B2B,Isspro Performax Boost/EGT & Fuel-pillar mount,2Low Mod,BD SBS and Short Shifter, All LED

516/1127     9/18/09
14.788/93.78  8/8/09

If You Are Not Willing To Stand Behind Our Troops, Please Feel Free To Stand In Front Of Them!

Offline Cumminalong

• Master of Destruction - Breaker of performance parts
  • Official DOF Vendor
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • The BOMB'r
  • Awards:
    1100ROTYMember of the Year1 Tech
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 10:34:48 am »
If he want's mileage, he want's a programmer or module that does timing and a little bit of pressure, stay away from the duration.

The Adrenaline, for what he wants, is probably gonna be way to high up on the power / money scale.

For a simple mileage increase and SLIGHT increase in power, something like an Edge Mileage Max or a Quadzilla Max Mileage.

Both are MUCH easier on the wallet and both are geared at what he's looking for.

Offline rocko

• Master Technician
  • Awards:
    100KDonorUSMC
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009, 10:52:55 am »
Wasn't there a big thread on here talking about what shitty experiences a lot of people have had with Quadzilla products?  Why are we recommending them to people?
'04 2500 5.9L CTD Auto, Smarty S06 POD, AFE Stage II Intake, S&B Intake Manifold, Quadzilla Scout Monitor, Dog House Diesel Transmission Temp Thingy, I.I. Adjustable Boost Elbow, Mag-Hytec Transmission Pan and Diff Covers, 4" Diamond Eye Exhaust, EBC Pads and Rotors, Prodigy Brake Controller.

"I need to watch things die." - M.J.K.

Offline Cumminalong

• Master of Destruction - Breaker of performance parts
  • Official DOF Vendor
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • The BOMB'r
  • Awards:
    1100ROTYMember of the Year1 Tech
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2009, 11:22:22 am »
The problem is that you're limited in the 24V arena for good products that are mileage oriented, the reason is timing. The VP44's control the timing of the injection pulse (to a point) and they are timed (mechanically) by way of the key in the pump gear. You can only modify the timing so much in VP truck because of the design of the injectors. They require cylinder pressure to open, so adjusting the timing of them is tough. You can program in all the timing you want, but the injector won't open on a VP truck until there is sufficient cylinder pressure.

If the Smarty Jr was available for the VP powered trucks, that would be my first choice, but it's not and an S03 would be more than he needs for what is being talked about. Having the ability to adjust / modify the timing is where you make money in the mileage department. But think about it..... at 1 - 2 MPG increase (max), $649 will take a while to pay off. Same thing with the Adrenaline w/ Pulse. 1 - it's been quirky (to say the least) and, 2 - it's a $700 (w/o Pulse, $900 w/ Pulse) unit that has one setting with Max Mileage tune. That's a lot of coin for "hopeful" mileage increase.

My next choice would be the Edge Mileage Max. It's a timing / pressure module, only adds 35 HP, doesn't "really" need a gauge package to run it, and it's a 10 min install.

After that, I'd say the Quad. It's similar to the Edge, easy install, and almost identical results.

NONE of them, except the Smarty Jr (which isn't available fr this application) are, or have been, without issues. Edge has had problems with boxes overheating, Quad has has problems with harnesses and programming quirks.

In the customer service area, I have to give the nod to Edge. I haven't had an issue with them, so in this case my recommendation is the Edge Mileage Max.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 11:36:08 am by Cumminalong »

Offline behindbars

• Mommy, cujo's being mean to me.
  • NASCAR Crewmember
  • Contains at least 90% sarcasm.
  • Awards:
    rotmDonor
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2009, 01:53:08 pm »
Before he does anything I'd say upgrade the lift pump and install a fuel pressure gauge at least. If he goes adding fuel through a worn out stock lift pump it isn't going to be good for him. :$:

Offline mayfair

• Master Smartazz!!!
  • Shade Tree Certified
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • Last 8 - w j 1 8 7 6 2 5
  • Awards:
    rotm200k400 HPShade TreeContributorDonor
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2009, 08:10:29 pm »
Before he does anything I'd say upgrade the lift pump and install a fuel pressure gauge at least. If he goes adding fuel through a worn out stock lift pump it isn't going to be good for him. :$:

+ 1000 !! :up:

That lift pump WILL go !!

Get da FASS !! :up:

Offline Moparpower151

• Master Technician
  • Better than Yesterday...
  • Awards:
    Mile HighDonorFireFighter
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2009, 07:36:08 pm »
He's looking hard at the Edge Mileage Max and at the Quadzilla Mileage box as well. I will let him know about the lift pump and he's already on the prowl for exhaust and an intake. Thank you guys for all the help, I actually thought the 02 was the 12 valve so it's a good thing I asked. He bought the truck from a widow that lives near him after her husband died. He used to just putt around in it and it still looks brand new.

Thanks again for all the help and I'll pass it on.
DoF, it's like family, but with more straight jacket and less restraining order.

Offline mayfair

• Master Smartazz!!!
  • Shade Tree Certified
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • Last 8 - w j 1 8 7 6 2 5
  • Awards:
    rotm200k400 HPShade TreeContributorDonor
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2009, 08:40:05 pm »
FWIW, I would get a bigger Edge

I understand that he now only wants to get mileage, but IF he wants to go a little faster ( :43: ) he'll have the ability to do so with a larger Edge whereas with the Mileage Max he'll be limited. The larger Edges will also have the Mileage Max settings in them as well.

Just a thought

Seriously though, I'd start with a lift pump. WHEN ( notice I didn't say "if" ) his current one goes, it's gonna take a $1300.00 VP-44 with it. Replacing it NOW with something like a FASS will help prevent that from happening.

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc