270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1830 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: LED Dash Install 3rd Gen  (Read 11777 times)

Offline 04cumminsram

• Official DOF Vendor
  • NASCAR Crewmember
  • U.S Army Vet 2000-2008
  • Awards:
    600 HPTech CertifiedROTMHigh MileUS ArmyDonor
LED Dash Install 3rd Gen
« on: September 27, 2009, 03:01:00 am »
ok so you have to decide what bulbs you want, there are a few colors offered in the LED world, the dash bulbs are a B8.5HD

I went with the UV Blacklight, they arent that bright but i like them they are a bit different. I am going to also change the bulbs in my gauges and center console as well, so this DIY will get better in about a week. The bad thing about the center console is you have to actually solder the bulbs into and the light switch and the seat heater and 4wd knob.
this is what the LED will look like

start by removing these two philips screws

and this one on the passenger side

I pulle dthis panel down and let it hang by the two screws

gently pull the panel where the headlight switch is let it hang by the wires becasue you will get a constant ding until it is plugged back in
Smokin Okie Diesel
Sales, Service, Installation and Support

Offline 04cumminsram

• Official DOF Vendor
  • NASCAR Crewmember
  • U.S Army Vet 2000-2008
  • Awards:
Re: LED Dash Install 3rd Gen
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2009, 03:07:21 am »
then there is 4 philips screws that hold the cluster in remove them and gently pull the bezel out, there are 4 plugs on the back of it

once removed you can either leave the black platic piece on the back or remove it, i removed mine to make it easier, but the bulb is the little black twist lookin thing above this plug.

03-04 trucks should have 11 and 05 and up have 13 bulbs in the cluster, there is one under the module on the back of the cluster. after installed hook wiring up before putting back together because they are polarized and will only work one way
Smokin Okie Diesel

Offline 04cumminsram

• Official DOF Vendor
  • NASCAR Crewmember
  • U.S Army Vet 2000-2008
  • Awards:
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2009, 03:09:59 am »
now if they all work you can reinstall and your done, this is where this will conclude for now until i get the other ones in.

the screw you removed on the passenger side will only need to be removed if you are going to do the center console ones.

this is what they look like at night !

Smokin Okie Diesel

Offline NickBeek

• Mechanical God!!!
  • Awards:
    Donor150k400 HPContributor
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2009, 04:15:56 am »
That looks cool, nice work.
2014 Ram 2500 Laramie, 4x4, 3.42 gears. Auto Trans, Crew cab, long bed. Window Visors, trifold bed cover.

Offline 04cumminsram

• Official DOF Vendor
  • NASCAR Crewmember
  • U.S Army Vet 2000-2008
  • Awards:
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2009, 04:42:06 am »
thanks man they are actually purple inside just like a blacklight !
Smokin Okie Diesel

Offline Mitch

• Mechanical God!!!
  • Awards:
    500ROTMDonorContributorArmy
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2009, 01:53:17 pm »
That looks good. Pretty dark though. Can you still use the dimmer with those?
2022 2500 Laramie CCLB, 6.7 CTD, stock
57 Chevy 3200 pickup, 12V swap
1985 Jeep CJ10A former Tug- Dana 60, 6cyl Nissan diesel
2020 Mahindra Roxor, Dana 60s F/R, Ag tires

Offline 04cumminsram

• Official DOF Vendor
  • NASCAR Crewmember
  • U.S Army Vet 2000-2008
  • Awards:
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2009, 04:59:20 pm »
yes the dash still functions as normal its just blacklight now!

the website is www.superbrightleds.com
Smokin Okie Diesel

Offline NickC

• Mechanical God!!!
  • V-neck pimp daddy
  • Awards:
    100kHeavyrotm400Donor
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2009, 05:23:13 pm »
That does look pretty wild!

They do look dim though, are they much dimmer in person? Sometimes pictures dont do justice for things...

05 2500 AUTO 4X4 4:10 LARAMIE CTD-CAT/SILENCER RING?, AERO 4040XL, SMARTY, XM RADIO, RECON CAB LIGHTS, CUP SMOOTHIE, QUAD COMMANDER, CFM+ MANIFOLD, S&B INTAKE, FOX WEATHER BOOTS

Offline noplugs

• Kung Fu Panda! - closeted conservative
  • Administrator
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • This thing has 4 wheel drive?
  • Awards:
    600 HPShade TreeDistinguishedApril ROTMDonor
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2009, 05:23:30 pm »
Hmm, where do I know that site from  ;D

That looks good. So you still liking it?
659 HP/1287 TQ -- She's BACK!  Yeah,,, nope she's not stock..

Doghouse Diesel Performance rocks

Nothing is exactly as it seems,nor is it otherwise

Offline 04cumminsram

• Official DOF Vendor
  • NASCAR Crewmember
  • U.S Army Vet 2000-2008
  • Awards:
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2009, 08:36:03 pm »
honestly lovin them... im gonna order the rest tomorrow and exchange the other ones i ordered and i honestly dont think it will get old its like going into a strip club every time i turn the lights on!!! lol

just change the radio station when it gets old and its like switching dancers :up: :innocent:
Smokin Okie Diesel

Offline dragonslayer169

• Sr Technician
  • Awards:
    High MileDonor
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2009, 04:39:00 am »
looks good. I changed mine out the other week but soldered in my own LEDs with the appropriate resistors to keep the LED from burning up because of too much voltage. I put blue LEDs in myself. I did the cluster and all of my other dash lights. The pictures i have are really blurry so i will get some better ones to show as well. i think its a great modification as the green was driving me nuts, lol
:cnfg:
'03 2500 CTD HO Laramie QC SB, Edge Juice w/ Attitude, BD X-Intake, custom 4" TBE, 35x12.50R17 Nitto Trail Grappler M/T on 17x9 Cragar Soft 8s, Bilsteins all around, ProComp Dual Stabilizers w/ Bilsteins, Custom Diesel SBS, GlowShift 7 Series White guages (Boost, EGT, Trans)

Offline sanddragonslayer

• SW Region Lead
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • the voices tell me.... BUILD BUILD BUILD
  • Awards:
    300kShadeTreeROTMContributor
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2009, 05:05:29 am »
i got to see them in person this evening. there are very cool, i am going to be adding this to the list of things to do.
95 12v 4x4 auto K&N drop in. 4 inch turbo back MBRP exhaust, Garmon trans, 4k gsk, 140 injectors, fully modded afc, pump timed, delivery valves, custom ground fuel plate, Phatshaft 62. And a very large list of to do's.

Offline 04cumminsram

• Official DOF Vendor
  • NASCAR Crewmember
  • U.S Army Vet 2000-2008
  • Awards:
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2009, 05:07:17 am »
let me see if i can take a pic through the window and get the actual color
the bottom one is through the window at 20%

« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 05:13:09 am by 04cumminsram »
Smokin Okie Diesel

Offline QUACKSTACKER

• Sr Technician
  • Superman owns a pair of Chuck Norris pajamas.
  • Awards:
    High Milage
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2009, 06:42:03 pm »
looks awesome!

thinking about doing some blue ones on mine.

Offline dragonslayer169

• Sr Technician
  • Awards:
    High MileDonor
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2009, 04:17:26 am »
Here are the pictures of mine:

The blue of the LEDs I chose matched my Pioneer DEH-P6000UB deck a lot better than I had anticipated they would. I had planned for them to be close since before I bought the deck and the LEDs as I wanted all blue dash lighting.

These are the LEDs I used: http://www.mpja.com/prodinfo.asp?number=12568+OP and then I went and used this calculator http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz to figure out the appropriate resistor value based on 12v DC and 14.4v DC as my source voltage. You also need the diode forward voltage (the voltage the LED is suppose to use for power) and the diode forward current in mA, both of these pieces of information should be provided by the LED manufacturer as it can be different from LED to LED. My results for these specific LEDs are as follows:

12v would require a 1/2W 470ohm resistor to keep the LED from burning out.
14.4v would require a 1/2W 560ohm resistor to keep the LED from burning out.

I went with both 12v and 14.4v because 12v is what the battery normally puts out for DC current when the truck isn't running and when the truck is running the alternator/battery puts out 14.4v. I wanted to make sure that the LEDs wouldn't burn out in either situation so I went with 560ohm resistors, the higher of the two.

I searched online for the resistors as I couldn't find any place local to get them. I can't remember where I got them but if I ever find my receipt I will post it up here for others. I got metal film resistors as they are the best compromise for this sort of work. Here is a good site for descriptions on the different types of resistors there are, http://www.pc-control.co.uk/resistor-types.htm.

Once I had my resistors I soldered them to the positive side of the LED, this diagram shows the polarity:

I then used heat shrink tubing on the LED terminals to keep them protected from shorting out on other contacts. Here is an example of an LED I set up for testing the polarity of the terminals on the cluster and switches so I knew what side to solder where. This is the same way I created the ones I actually soldered to my switches and cluster, I just had to position each resistor/LED combo slightly different to not block light output and for it to fit.

Unlike this image, all of the LEDs I soldered into place I had sanded the surface of the LEDs to difuse the light and to try to eliminate spot lights.

After I tested all of the terminals to determine what was positive and negative current, I marked them as I tested. I then took it all in side and soldered all of the lights onto the switches and my cluster. To do this I had to completely dismantle my cluster, including taking the needles off. This needs to be done very carefully as the needles need to go back on exactly where they came off to line up properly again. In my case I tried my best not to bump the post the needles slip onto but manage to and it has taken me a few tries to get the needles back close to what they were before. I still have a couple more adjustments to do before I am completely happy with their alignment. To test this there is a cluster test method I used, which is hold in your ODO/Trip meter button on the cluster while you turn your key to the ON position. This cycles all of the gauges through their normal movement and they should all stop on the last line of each gauge. If they are off you know so by where they stop. In my case my speedometer was so off it wouldn't register my speed until I hit 30KPH. So be very careful.

Unfortunately I didn't get any pictures during the process as I had lent my camera to a friend. The next time I take my cluster apart to adjust my needles again I will take some pictures of it to show how I did mine.

If you need LEDs and are up for the challenge of doing this yourself I would recommend checking out www.mpja.com as I have ordered from them on multiple occasions and I am very pleased with the customer service of calling in my order and how quick they have gotten things processed. I have also ordered online from them with great success.

If you have any questions just let me know.

Steve
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 04:21:39 am by dragonslayer169 »
:cnfg:
'03 2500 CTD HO Laramie QC SB, Edge Juice w/ Attitude, BD X-Intake, custom 4" TBE, 35x12.50R17 Nitto Trail Grappler M/T on 17x9 Cragar Soft 8s, Bilsteins all around, ProComp Dual Stabilizers w/ Bilsteins, Custom Diesel SBS, GlowShift 7 Series White guages (Boost, EGT, Trans)

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc