270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1829 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: Royal Purple?  (Read 3221 times)

Offline Southern Belle

• Master Technician
  • Awards:
    DonorLay'n LowHigh Mile
Royal Purple?
« on: May 12, 2010, 09:17:51 pm »
I was looking around and been seeing a lot about royal purple lubricants and wonder if anyone has used them or any thoughts about it? Specifically looking at the oil, power steering fluid and possibly gear oil. Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 02:50:40 am by Southern Belle »

_(O|||||||O)_

Sometimes the one you think is your knight in shining armour turns out to be a retard in tin foil.

Offline aka_chewy

• NASCAR Crewmember
  • Awards:
    Donor
Re: Royal Purple?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 07:01:22 pm »
I've used royal purple oil in our durango and my saturns.  I used it in my truck to before I sold it.  I had always used amsoil preivous, but they were out one day when i needed oil.  I tired the royal purple since that's all they had.

Now, all of them make claims and I've personally noticed nothing when running the amsoil.  However, when I switch to royal purple, I noticed my truck idled quieter and started a smoother in the winter.  I didn't drive a consistent enough route to notice a difference in MPG's or anything. 

When I switched from amsoil to royal purple in my saturn, I noticed the same smoother cold starts and my MPG's went up an honest 1.5 mpg average overall.  I write down every time i fill up and do maintenance, so I had records of before an after. 

Offline Southern Belle

• Master Technician
  • Awards:
    DonorLay'n LowHigh Mile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 07:25:06 pm »
Cool thanks!

_(O|||||||O)_

Sometimes the one you think is your knight in shining armour turns out to be a retard in tin foil.

Offline Bad318dakota

• Oil Changer
  • If it ain't born to bleed it ain't meant to breed.
  • Awards:
    DonorMile High
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 10:29:55 pm »
   I have ran Royal purple in my 5.2L dakota every since i have had it and that was from about 84,XXX to 185,XXX now and she still runs just like i just bought it.
   I have also seen a dyno proven 3.5hp gain on a 5.0 mustang with full bolt-ons and a Vortec Supercharger.
97' 2500 ext. cab 4x4 LWB, A-Pilliar with Boost, Pyro, and Tranny temp, Ranch hand front, Alum. deep toolbox,  smoked tails, 3:73's, Silencer Ring MIA, S&B CAI, Pusher intake manifold, Airdog 150, Straight piped with 4" Tip, DDP 90hp Inj, Fuel plate, built Georend trans w/billet input and billet triple disk convertor. Got much more to do.

Offline Cumminalong

• Master of Destruction - Breaker of performance parts
  • Official DOF Vendor
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • The BOMB'r
  • Awards:
    1100ROTYMember of the Year1 Tech
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 04:20:07 pm »
Well, I've used the Royal Purple motor almost exclusively in the truck and the ONLY wear I noticed anywhere in the engine was on the front and rear main bearings.

Otherwise, even with the beating that it's taken, the rest of the engine looked like it was started, did a break in run on an engine dyno and stripped apart.

It looked almost spotless inside.

Offline RoaminGnome

• Master Technician
  • Chrome hating gnome!
  • Awards:
    High Mile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010, 02:18:00 am »
Well, I've used the Royal Purple motor almost exclusively in the truck and the ONLY wear I noticed anywhere in the engine was on the front and rear main bearings.

Otherwise, even with the beating that it's taken, the rest of the engine looked like it was started, did a break in run on an engine dyno and stripped apart.

It looked almost spotless inside.

That in its self can be their next ad! :lol:
:fwin: <--- just says i all :D

Offline BigRedFireTruck

• Master Technician
  • Laughing my Balls off
  • Awards:
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010, 05:13:18 am »
I have used Royal purple in my boat since I bought it. That is what the dealer had in it so I just stuck with it.. Once the procharger was bolted on. I was worried about the oil running through the procharger but Its not been working out so well in my case..  I don't notice any increase in Gallons per mile while out on the boat.. One thing I do notice loss of oil pressure Im at 20 psi as I used to be a 40 psi at idle.  but that was before the procharger. Plus the motor has more hours on it now then it did. 385 to be exact.
RED 2004.5 dodge Ram 3500 qc long bed CTD

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc