270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1830 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: Tinting cab/clearance lights  (Read 10700 times)

Offline OWL'So7

• Sr Technician
  • Awards:
    ContributorDonorUSMCFF
Tinting cab/clearance lights
« on: September 16, 2010, 02:52:58 am »
I've seen a few DIY's on tinting brake lights, but none on cab/clearance lights.  i personally would not have done this on my truck, but the owner of the truck that wanted this done (he can chime in if he would like) thought it would look good.  actually didn't turn out all that bad. 

shopping list/tools needed:

-T 20 torxs screwdriver
-green scratchy pad
-1 can of dupli-color "adhesion promoter"
-1 can of rustoleum "lens tint"
-1 can of rustoleum "CC 1000" clear coat
-1 can of rustoleum acetone

total bill for all the chemicals was around 30$

Remove all 10 of the T 20 torx bolts from the lights and then remove the bulb and harness from the lens.  *important*  make sure you don't loose any of the little clear plastic ring seals.  keeps water out from around the screws

Take the lens and scuff it up with the green scratchy pad, blow the lens's off with some air and then clean them real good with acetone. 

Then take your dupli color "adhesion promoter" and spray 1 to 2 light coats on the lens's allowing 5-10 minutes in between coats.  if you apply to much, it could dimple the paint.  not fun to fix!

After the last coat of "adhesion promoter" is applied, let the lens's set for for another 5-10 minutes, then apply several light coats of the rustoleum "lens tint".  You will want to apply light coats do to the shade of tint you want.  In this case we did them almost black.

allow another 5-10 minutes in between coats of tint. 

after you reach your desired shade, allow them to set for another 5-10 minutes, then your ready for clear

apply a light coat of the rustoleum "CC 1000" clear coat the the lens's and let them set.  you'll want to let them set for again...5-10 minutes in between coats.  we put on 3 total and had almost a half a can left.

then its off to the oven (actually its our gear dryer here at work, but it works well  :rotflol:) for 2 1/2 hours.  If you don't have a dryer or an oven, try to do them on a day its sunny and has low humidity.  thats how i did my tail lights and they turned out real good. 

now your ready to take the lens's and re-install them (don't forget the plastic ring seals and don't over tighten the screws due to the lens's cracking)

heres a picture of the truck before

and heres the after

and a few out side at night

enjoy :up:

« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 02:57:21 am by OWL'So7 »
mama tried

Offline WashieDCFD

• Awards:
    US ArmyFire
Re: Tinting cab/clearance lights
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 03:02:02 am »
I'm slowly converting you over into the dark side......tint them things!! :ph:

Offline OWL'So7

• Sr Technician
  • Awards:
    ContributorDonorUSMCFF
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 03:07:02 am »
ain't gonna happen.  can one of the mods please move this to the cummins DIY section.  forgot to select that section
mama tried

Offline Kilch123

• Mechanical God!!!
  • Thanks Pat and Adam!!!
  • Awards:
    DECEMBER ROTM 2011Mile High500 HPDistinguishedTech CertifiedDonorAir Force
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 03:49:48 am »
looks good

It's actually in the right section... EDIT:  I see Jo moved it already while I was reading it  :lol:

The Cummins DIY's are for engine specific mods - this is a Ram mod - you got it right!  :up:
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 04:12:14 am by Kilch123 »
***Currently at Smokin Okie Diesel - Enid OK***
99 3500QCLB 6x6 5 Speed - D Tech Twins,SB DD3600,Adrenaline/Pulse,Smarty,DDP 110's,Hamilton's,ARP Studs,Airdog,CFE+,Silverline4",Mag-Hytec F/R,Amsoil-B2B,Isspro Performax Boost/EGT & Fuel-pillar mount,2Low Mod,BD SBS and Short Shifter, All LED

516/1127     9/18/09
14.788/93.78  8/8/09

If You Are Not Willing To Stand Behind Our Troops, Please Feel Free To Stand In Front Of Them!

Offline Scott91370

• Master Technician
  • Awards:
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 04:16:17 am »
Nice job and they look so much better!  Personally I don't like the cab lights, but with the tint they look good.
Scott

2001 CTD, 4.5" Lift, 35's, 5" turbo back exhaust, banks wastegate actuator, some bully dog thing

Offline biged681985

• 2009 Fantasy NFL Champ
  • Shade Tree Certified
  • Service Manager
  • Awards:
    Shade Tree400HPDonorHighMileContributor
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 04:26:15 am »
how much of a difference did it make at night with brightness compared to before?
2006 Ram 2500 - billet s467.7, colt stage 4 cam, 180% over ducky fuel injection injectors, fleece 10mm stroker pump, studs, built trans

Offline OWL'So7

• Sr Technician
  • Awards:
    ContributorDonorUSMCFF
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 02:31:11 pm »
i didn't think it would shine through as bright as it did.  if you were driving on the interstate at 65 and his truck passed you goin the opposite direction at the same speed, you'd still see them with no problem
mama tried

Offline WashieDCFD

• Awards:
    US ArmyFire
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 05:07:42 pm »
I would say they are slightly dimmer but to take care of that problem you could get some LED's to replace the stock bulbs.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 03:22:35 am by WashieDCFD »

Offline OWL'So7

• Sr Technician
  • Awards:
    ContributorDonorUSMCFF
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2010, 07:12:34 pm »
 :up:
mama tried

Offline biged681985

• 2009 Fantasy NFL Champ
  • Shade Tree Certified
  • Service Manager
  • Awards:
    Shade Tree400HPDonorHighMileContributor
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2010, 09:46:54 pm »
i may try doin that to the dualy
2006 Ram 2500 - billet s467.7, colt stage 4 cam, 180% over ducky fuel injection injectors, fleece 10mm stroker pump, studs, built trans

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc