270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1830 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: Power Programers for the hemi  (Read 1894 times)

Offline FFMattdvpt

• Awards:
Power Programers for the hemi
« on: December 01, 2009, 08:08:35 pm »
anyone got one? what type? and is it worth the money?

Thinking about getting one and someone told me to do research on witch ones work the best for the truck.

Offline Cumminalong

• Master of Destruction - Breaker of performance parts
  • Official DOF Vendor
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • The BOMB'r
  • Awards:
    1100ROTYMember of the Year1 Tech
Re: Power Programers for the hemi
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 08:23:19 pm »
On gas engines, the experience I had with them on my previous vehicles was that I saw the improvements on the transmission performance more than the engine itself.

UNTIL you start doing things like adding bigger injectors, a supercharger, bigger MAF, etc., that's where something like an SCT Xcalibrator that you can custom tunes starts to shine.

Yeah, you can up the speed limiter, change shift points and firmness, select economy, tow or performance settings, but I never saw "white knuckle" increases in performance.

The transmission performance was the most noticealbe improvement.

Offline 1SlowFormula

• Sr Technician
  • Awards:
    ContributorUS Army
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 08:50:31 pm »
When I had my Hemi truck the big thing was the Superchips, then again it was one of the only options early on, now with so many tuners out there I would say go withthe one with the best reputation for what you want out of the truck.
John P. - 2007 2500 SLT, QC, 4X4, 5.9 CTD, G56 6spd w/SBC DD clutch, 6" BDS lift, 37" VorTrac's, Smarty, AFE stg 2 CAI, CFM+, Labonte DIS-S4, Exergy +40% injectors, II BoP, AirDog II 165, MBRP exhaust and !cat, and Amsoil BMK-25 and all fuilds.

Offline 04QC4X4

• Sr Technician
  • Hunting is Life!
  • Awards:
    Donation
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 04:24:16 am »
I am running the Superchips 3815.  I have it set on Performance which requires the use of 91 octane fuel.  The power difference between Performance and stock is noticeable, but not overwhelming.  The transmission shifts are much better.  The main reason I got it was to turn off the MDS system.  MDS is stupid and annoying.  I have actually seen an increase in fuel economy without MDS with the tuner on performance.  I would say for power gains there are probably better things you could do, but if you are looking for better shifts and the removal of the speed limiter and maybe a little better fuel mileage then a programmer may be the way to go.  I got mine used off of another forum for $175.
2008 Ram 1500 QuadCab 4X4 Lone Star Edtion
5.7 HEMI, Automatic Transmission

2006 VW Jetta TDI (40 mpg)

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc