270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1830 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: 03 Dodge Ram 2500- Heater issues  (Read 27266 times)

Offline RacingZR

• Oil Changer
  • Awards:
03 Dodge Ram 2500- Heater issues
« on: December 25, 2009, 12:58:23 pm »
Merry Xmas all!
OK- So I fixed my vibration and did a tune up to take care of the check engine light.  Truck runs great.
But as I was heading to the dealership to get my plow installed, I discovered the heater wasn't working  :banging:  Not a good time in Maine where we have high's in the 20's this time of year  ;D
While there they were offering a winterization check for $30.  I was hoping it was something easy as coolant systems are fairly simple anyway but...........here's my symptons.

Running temp is normal......200-210 degrees.

No heat going down the road on dash or floor.  The heat on the dash is "luke warm" at best.  The heat on the floor is cold, like it is blowing in outside air.  If I put it in park and let it idle it will build heat on the dash but the floor stays cold still.

Pressure checked coolant system- OK to 16 lbs.

Replaced thermostat just as a quick and easy check.  No difference.

Tested coolant, good to -45 degrees so that's fine. 

Checked heater core for blockage, nothing there.

Are there check valves or something under the dash ??  The fact that it builds heat while in park has me a little stumped??  Anythoughts??  This thing isn't going to make much of a plow truck without heat  :lol:

« Last Edit: December 25, 2009, 01:10:26 pm by RacingZR »
03 Dodge Ram 2500 Quadcab/ShortBox with Hemi Power.

Offline bikemancs

• NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Awards:
    100krotmDonorArmy
Re: 03 Dodge Ram 2500- Heater issues
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2009, 01:59:19 pm »
you haven't had any noisy vibrations that occur with the fan on?  like something was hitting the blades at any point?

MAG-Tech Transmission Pan and Diff Covers, Isspro Gauges, UWS Tool box, Magnaflow 5" Exhaust, AFe Intake, Mopar Heated Seats

Offline RacingZR

• Oil Changer
  • Awards:
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2009, 02:04:13 pm »
Thanks for asking!  I forgot that part.
There was a nosiy vibration briefly but it's on and off........not always present.
Also- AC works good and the truck has been in FL for the last few years.........I hgihly doubt the heater saw much use.

Offline ERT

• Tech Certified
  • Sr Technician
  • Awards:
    200KROTMTech Certified
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2009, 05:44:22 pm »
I'm fairly certain you've got a broken mode door. Happens all the time.

;D

Offline BigRedFireTruck

• Master Technician
  • Laughing my Balls off
  • Awards:
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2009, 06:45:44 pm »
i second the broken mode door. On my truck the mode was stuck on vent I had heat. It just wouldn't change to defrost or floor.. Dealer parts only  :banging: if you are interested in doing it yourself  there is a DIY on it

http://dodgeownerforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=6660.0

first you have to make sure its the mode door first
buckle seat belt turn key on (stops door and key chime) turn key on do not start
move the temp knob hot to cold fully and you should hear the door open and close when it hits inside. not sure what i am talking about.. move the selector door from defrost to vent  did you hear is slam inside it should do the same for temp mode door (at least it does that for my truck)
Hope that helps
RED 2004.5 dodge Ram 3500 qc long bed CTD

Offline RacingZR

• Oil Changer
  • Awards:
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2009, 08:08:01 pm »
Thanks guys............I think.  Looks like quite the friggin' project  :ph:  As mentioned, at IDLE only I have heat on the defrost........nothing on the vent or floor.  Anyone know roughly what the part costs??

:argh:
« Last Edit: December 25, 2009, 08:16:28 pm by RacingZR »

Offline RacingZR

• Oil Changer
  • Awards:
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2009, 04:32:59 am »
Ok, a little more info.  I can swap between floor, defrost and vents.  That dial and its functions seem to be working fine.
When switching from cold to hot, the motor stops, then starts back up but there is no difference in air temp.  It's like the system doesnt change from cooling to heating??  Making any sense??  Still this blend door part??  I don't hear any slamming.  Keep it coming, open to any and all suggestions/comments.

Offline BigRedFireTruck

• Master Technician
  • Laughing my Balls off
  • Awards:
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2009, 05:00:39 am »
Thanks guys............I think.  Looks like quite the friggin' project  :ph:  As mentioned, at IDLE only I have heat on the defrost........nothing on the vent or floor.  Anyone know roughly what the part costs??

:argh:
I paid 60 or so for the door assembly and then i bought a motor that changes the door also. then went back and bought the blend door assembly (that we think you need) a few days later witch is the same door i think... I did the change out on this myself.. I will say that it took me a few DAYS but I am very picky I took my time i wasn't in a rush Although I don't like extra parts so..if a screw was missing I found its spot.  it also takes me 3.5 hours to change my oil in my truck... I basically take my time with something that I have not done before.. I will tell you that A 2005 GMC I had a heater core problem and it is the same thing everything has to come out

Offline BigRedFireTruck

• Master Technician
  • Laughing my Balls off
  • Awards:
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2009, 05:16:34 am »
Ok, a little more info.  I can swap between floor, defrost and vents.  That dial and its functions seem to be working fine.
When switching from cold to hot, the motor stops, then starts back up but there is no difference in air temp.  It's like the system doesnt change from cooling to heating??  Making any sense??  Still this blend door part??  I don't hear any slamming.  Keep it coming, open to any and all suggestions/comments.
I totally understand. It is hard to beleave that its the problem.. expecially when its a lot of work involved.. I thought everyone was pulling my chain too... but when i took it all out and seen the broken door I was cussing myself...

Offline RacingZR

• Oil Changer
  • Awards:
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2009, 03:16:01 pm »
Alright, I guess I'll have to order the part from Dodge on Monday.  Is there anything else it could be or any other parts I should order?  I'll order the blend door assembly.  Any other motors or door assemblies that I may need?? I'm all about doing this once :up:  Luckily, this is my 2nd truck (plow truck) so I can be down for a few days if the forecast is good!  I might have to have my mechanic do it, he could probably be done with it in half a day!

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc