270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1830 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: Gottem out  (Read 3735 times)

Offline FloorItDiesel

• Gas Pumper
  • Awards:
    High Mile
Gottem out
« on: November 28, 2009, 02:34:13 pm »
Well we got the 150 nozzles out without to much trouble. It was surprisingly easier then I thought. So as soon as I get them sold Rich I'll prolly be hittin you up for the DDP's!!

Also found out some bad news my turbo(stock) never builds over 28 pounds I found out why yesterday. Looks like the fin has hit sidewall and on my best guess prolly will be fine with stock injectors but when I replace them I guess i'll be driven on borrowed time. So any thoughts on what I should replace with?  I was thinking of maybe 64x14 I dunno though I wann be able to tow the camper with out getting to hot but still have good spoil up to minimize turbo lag. So let's hear em'
thanks

2001 CTD 2500  Bully Dog Intake, Custom 5" Exhaust w/ 6" Single Stack Offset, Edge Juice w/ Attitude,  Fass 150 325/60/18 NITTO Terra Grapplers KMC XD Diesel 18's Line-X Bed Lining 5% Tint Rear and Side Glass 35% down the front.

Offline noplugs

• Kung Fu Panda! - closeted conservative
  • Administrator
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • This thing has 4 wheel drive?
  • Awards:
    600 HPShade TreeDistinguishedApril ROTMDonor
Re: Gottem out
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2009, 03:59:21 pm »
Well we got the 150 nozzles out without to much trouble. It was surprisingly easier then I thought. So as soon as I get them sold Rich I'll prolly be hittin you up for the DDP's!!

Also found out some bad news my turbo(stock) never builds over 28 pounds I found out why yesterday. Looks like the fin has hit sidewall and on my best guess prolly will be fine with stock injectors but when I replace them I guess i'll be driven on borrowed time. So any thoughts on what I should replace with?  I was thinking of maybe 64x14 I dunno though I wann be able to tow the camper with out getting to hot but still have good spoil up to minimize turbo lag. So let's hear em'
thanks

Is there any play in the turbo shaft? It doesnt sound good from your description..
659 HP/1287 TQ -- She's BACK!  Yeah,,, nope she's not stock..

Doghouse Diesel Performance rocks

Nothing is exactly as it seems,nor is it otherwise

Offline BigRiver

• The Patriot Missile
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Awards:
    100k600 HPROTMDonation
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2009, 04:34:40 pm »
If the fins aren't bent, can't the turbo be re-built, unless your ready to upgrade.

I have a stocker with about 75k miles (turbo timer used 75% of those miles) if that's any help.

Plain Jane Stock (for now)

Offline FloorItDiesel

• Gas Pumper
  • Awards:
    High Mile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2009, 05:10:19 pm »
 I have wanted to upgrade all along so I hate to spend money on a rebuild then turn around and upgrade later I am prolly gonna buy the new injectors and then not put them on until I get the turbo. I think with the stock injectors the turbo will be alright for now. It doesn't have any play in it but if you push down on th shaft and turn it you can feel where it rubs. Maybe were I got on it hard once and twisted the shaft some I dunno but eventually it may catch and break the shaft and there is only
one place for it to go then... Outinto the engine bay!!  But like I said I think the stockers and keeping the edge tuned down I should be alright until I can get a new one.

2001 CTD 2500  Bully Dog Intake, Custom 5" Exhaust w/ 6" Single Stack Offset, Edge Juice w/ Attitude,  Fass 150 325/60/18 NITTO Terra Grapplers KMC XD Diesel 18's Line-X Bed Lining 5% Tint Rear and Side Glass 35% down the front.

Offline Cumminalong

• Master of Destruction - Breaker of performance parts
  • Official DOF Vendor
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • The BOMB'r
  • Awards:
    1100ROTYMember of the Year1 Tech
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2009, 05:34:38 pm »
If there is contact on the housing, it's not rebuildable.

If it was JUST shaft play or an oil leak then they are rebuildable, but housing contact means new housings and at least a cartridge rebuild.

If the wheels made housing contact, the bearings are shot and it's just a matter of time before it either seizes or completely comes apart.

What size sticks did you want to go with? That's gonna determine what you'll need as far as turbo.

I tell ya what, I've been REALLY impressed with the HTT 64/71 that we had at the shop. For a single turbo of that size, it spools REALLY well, but it's also being pushed by 150 HP sticks.

Also, how heavy do you tow?

Offline FloorItDiesel

• Gas Pumper
  • Awards:
    High Mile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2009, 10:55:28 pm »
It came in contact at the front o the housing. Anyways im really not interested in a rebuild. The injectors where another pair of 150's and I occassionally tow a 13K fifth wheel.

Offline Cumminalong

• Official DOF Vendor
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • The BOMB'r
  • Awards:
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2009, 01:57:22 pm »
With those size sticks, you're gonna need to be looking at a 64/71 or 66/74

Offline FloorItDiesel

• Gas Pumper
  • Awards:
    High Mile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2009, 09:36:01 pm »
I tried to find a price for a HTT 64/71 but was having a hard time do you know what one might run?  Also was looking at the bd single B for around 1299 have you any thoughts on the single b's?

Offline Cumminalong

• Official DOF Vendor
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • The BOMB'r
  • Awards:
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2009, 09:41:23 pm »
Well, I think my feelings on the BD's are pretty well known, so I'll spare ya that rant. But the Super B is too small, it's only a 57.

Let me check the HTT for ya real quick.

Offline mayfair

• Master Smartazz!!!
  • Shade Tree Certified
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • Last 8 - w j 1 8 7 6 2 5
  • Awards:
    rotm200k400 HPShade TreeContributorDonor
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2009, 10:36:38 pm »
Why did you take the 150's out?

Offline FloorItDiesel

• Gas Pumper
  • Awards:
    High Mile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2009, 02:25:02 am »
I had 150 nozzles and really wanted the full injector so that is why I removed the nozzles and will eventually be reinstalling a full injector 150

Offline mayfair

• Master Smartazz!!!
  • Shade Tree Certified
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • Awards:
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2009, 06:45:11 am »
Ok, I'm confused ... You installed 150 tips, and now you;ve removed them for whole 150 injectors ( now including the body )?

What's the difference?

Offline FloorItDiesel

• Gas Pumper
  • Awards:
    High Mile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2009, 12:17:33 pm »
They should have different spray patterns. Rich can surely correct me if I'm wrong but I believe they ddp injectors use less holes but the holes are bigger while the edge jammers use more holes with a smaller diameter. Now whether or not that will make ANY difference in the way the truck runs(which it ran fine). I don't know. But I do know that when I first had them installed I worked with a guy who was very pushy and I let him push me toward the jammers but I really wanted the ddp I guess I'm a name whore who knows :). That's why I'm going it alone this time had a buddy who built has sled pullin truck help ne take them out and I watched very close and I dint see any trouble ustalljng them
back!!

Offline mayfair

• Master Smartazz!!!
  • Shade Tree Certified
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • Awards:
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2009, 04:52:14 pm »
Gotcha

If I were you though, I'd just make sure that you're definitely gonna see a difference before dropping the coin on a new set. That would really suck if you took out a perfectly good set only to have the same results with a different set. :argh:

Offline Cumminalong

• Official DOF Vendor
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • The BOMB'r
  • Awards:
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2009, 07:31:56 pm »
The Jammers are an 8 hole nozzle, the DDP's will be a 7 hole.

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc