270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1830 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: P0601 again? ... FML  (Read 4975 times)

Offline pctgreg

• Sr Technician
  • Awards:
    donorContributor
P0601 again? ... FML
« on: October 26, 2009, 11:53:14 pm »
So....  back in august my truck randomly came up with a CEL  (come to think of it when arn't they random..  hmm...)  Anyway the code was P0601 means "Internal Control Module Memory Check Sum Error"   Basically something went bad inside my stock pcm so being the cheap ass I am, I looked on ebay and delt with a company called "Auto Computer Exchange" which turned into a huge ordeal.  First computer they sent gave the NO Bus error, the second gave the same code I was already dealing with so that didn't help me.  Eventually got my money back after dealing with more bs than anyone should have to deal with.  So after I was done being a cheap ass and got my refund, I said.. Hey! lets go check out what a rebuilt pcm would cost around here so if I got jerked around locally (instead of florida), I actually have someones neck I can ring.  So in September I found one who gets rebuilt by a reputable company (cardone) so I said yeah lets go for it.  I get it, and had my vin and mileage programmed at dodge (because aparently they don't program it even though they ask for it.  Wierd....)  So anyway yeah I get it, program the vin and milage...   everything is good to go.  A month later on this rebuilt PCM,  P0601 shows up again.  WTF is causing this?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 11:56:23 pm by pcfixerpro »
01 1500 4x4

Offline Kilch123

• Mechanical God!!!
  • Thanks Pat and Adam!!!
  • Awards:
    DECEMBER ROTM 2011Mile High500 HPDistinguishedTech CertifiedDonorAir Force
Re: P0601 again? ... FML
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 12:10:23 am »
sounds like you may have  connector problem, or just a ground issue

everything I've seen says that a P0601 = new ecm

I'd clean the ecm connectors, plug them back in, clear the codes and see if they come back

Any warranty on the replacement ECM?
***Currently at Smokin Okie Diesel - Enid OK***
99 3500QCLB 6x6 5 Speed - D Tech Twins,SB DD3600,Adrenaline/Pulse,Smarty,DDP 110's,Hamilton's,ARP Studs,Airdog,CFE+,Silverline4",Mag-Hytec F/R,Amsoil-B2B,Isspro Performax Boost/EGT & Fuel-pillar mount,2Low Mod,BD SBS and Short Shifter, All LED

516/1127     9/18/09
14.788/93.78  8/8/09

If You Are Not Willing To Stand Behind Our Troops, Please Feel Free To Stand In Front Of Them!

Offline pctgreg

• Sr Technician
  • Awards:
    donorContributor
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 12:38:14 am »
sounds like you may have  connector problem, or just a ground issue

everything I've seen says that a P0601 = new ecm

I'd clean the ecm connectors, plug them back in, clear the codes and see if they come back

Any warranty on the replacement ECM?

Yeah cleaned the pcm connectors when I replaced the pcm.  As far as a ground issue...  I haven't the slightest clue where to look.  And yes everywhere I have see says the same as you found so thats why I replaced the pcm.  The funny thing about the P0601 is, it can't be cleared, it just re-trips itself.  Luckly yes there is a warranty on the pcm (lifetime I am told) which I am glad, but I'd rather find out what is causing it before they start denying the warranty if the replacement does the same thing a month later like this one :/
01 1500 4x4

Offline Kilch123

• Mechanical God!!!
  • Thanks Pat and Adam!!!
  • Awards:
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 12:59:45 am »
yea - sorry I don't have a better answer for you

you could contact the company to see if they have any idea what could cause it, but then they may deny your warranty  :doh:

99 3500QCLB 6x6 5 Speed - D Tech Twins,SB DD3600,Adrenaline/Pulse,Smarty,DDP 110's,Hamilton's,ARP Studs,Airdog,CFE+,Silverline4",Mag-Hytec F/R,Amsoil-B2B,Isspro Performax Boost/EGT & Fuel-pillar mount,2Low Mod,BD SBS and Short Shifter, All LED

516/1127     9/18/09
14.788/93.78  8/8/09

If You Are Not Willing To Stand Behind Our Troops, Please Feel Free To Stand In Front Of Them!

Offline pctgreg

• Sr Technician
  • Awards:
    donorContributor
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009, 10:52:30 pm »
Figured I would update you all.  I called cardone today and the tech I talked to was very straight forward.   I no sooner got the code "p0601" out of my mouth and he immediately said it was a faulty board and to return it.  I said, ok thanks for your help :)  So that answers that.  Even so, I went over to dodge today and talked to one of the techs who had helped me before and asked if it could be caused by anything else besides a bad pcm and he said, not really.  But he said he would take care of me again for free once I got the new computer to program the vin and mileage in.   :up:  Anyway the warranty replacement pcm is comming in thursday afternoon.  Awesome!

Oh and as a side note, I began thinking.  The only thing I did that day before the computer threw the CEL was I was messing with the 4 wheel drive.  I haven't used it in a year so the linkages always get a bit rusty and its a hassel to get it engauged sometimes.  Figured I would get it moving free again so when I need it, it won't be an issue.  Well it was the next day I went to go wash the truck I noticed the check engine light.  Surprisingly enough..  I went to dodge like I mentioned earlier and as were ready to plug the drb scan tool up, the check engine light is no longer on.  Interesting....    drove around a while, it stayed off.  Turned the truck on and off a few times...  still off.   So for shits and giggles, I decide once im in my parking space to throw it in neutral, turn the truck off, and put her in 4wd.  It didn't want to engauge right away but she grabbed.  4wd light came on.  I shut the truck back off, I put her back in neutral, pulled it back out of 4lo and then started it back up and take a guess what happened.  CEL back on again for the p0601 code.  Hmmm...   When they flashed the pcm do they have my truck listed as a 2wd?  Guess we'll find out.  Thats one of the first things ill check after installing is the 4wd coincidence.
01 1500 4x4

Offline Kilch123

• Mechanical God!!!
  • Thanks Pat and Adam!!!
  • Awards:
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2009, 10:54:14 pm »
well, not so bad news....

is interesting about the 4WD coincidence...

516/1127     9/18/09
14.788/93.78  8/8/09

Offline pctgreg

• Sr Technician
  • Awards:
    donorContributor
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2009, 12:30:12 am »
Got the warranty replacement pcm today.  Installed it.  Turned the key and... no start.  Luckly I installed it in the parts store parkinglot so i had one of the senior employee's come out so I can show him whats going on.  While he was out there I installed the pcm I have been running on and it started like it should have.  We brought the pcm back inside the store and he called cardone.  He talked to the guy on the phone for like 5 minutes and the tech told the employee that the replacement pcm was bad.  Lol...  ( already told him in the parking lot)  But yeah...  so thats my luck.  He is ordering another so I guess all I can do is try again next week.
01 1500 4x4

Offline Buford445

• Mechanical God!!!
  • I'm a little teapot short & stout
  • Awards:
    ROTMContributorDonation
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2009, 12:36:57 am »
That SUCKS :down:

Thanks To HTS Transmission

PEOPLE MAY NOT REMEMBER EXACTLY
WHAT YOU DID, OR WHAT YOU SAID ~BUT~THEY WILL
ALWAYS REMEMBER HOW YOU MADE THEM
FEEL.

Offline lilfroger

• Administrator
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • Not a "god" ... I just talk a lot
  • Awards:
    ROTMDonorARMYMOTY
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2009, 03:21:20 pm »
I've heard that story time after time with guys buying replacement pcm's.  It's seems to be a crap shoot worse than hitting up the junk yard!

Best of luck!!
Install, Owners, & Service Manuals for many years & makes:
http://www.scribd.com/lilfroger

Offline pctgreg

• Sr Technician
  • Awards:
    donorContributor
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2009, 08:36:32 pm »
After three weeks of waiting, another new pcm arrived.  Put it in, so far so good.
01 1500 4x4

Offline Buford445

• Mechanical God!!!
  • I'm a little teapot short & stout
  • Awards:
    ROTMContributorDonation
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2009, 10:01:01 pm »
That's GOOD to Hear Let's Hope it Stays that Way :up: :up:

Thanks To HTS Transmission

PEOPLE MAY NOT REMEMBER EXACTLY
WHAT YOU DID, OR WHAT YOU SAID ~BUT~THEY WILL
ALWAYS REMEMBER HOW YOU MADE THEM
FEEL.

Offline lilfroger

• Administrator
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • Not a "god" ... I just talk a lot
  • Awards:
    ROTMDonorARMYMOTY
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2009, 01:52:33 am »
Hopefully this one is the ticket and takes care of the problems :up:
Install, Owners, & Service Manuals for many years & makes:
http://www.scribd.com/lilfroger

Offline pctgreg

• Sr Technician
  • Awards:
    donorContributor
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2009, 02:05:25 am »
Thanks for the support!  :2cool:
01 1500 4x4

Offline mayfair

• Master Smartazz!!!
  • Shade Tree Certified
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • Last 8 - w j 1 8 7 6 2 5
  • Awards:
    rotm200k400 HPShade TreeContributorDonor
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2009, 04:04:38 am »
Holy crap dude you've got some patience :eek:

I think after pcm #3 I would have taken a little drive :bat:

:43:

Offline Motorbrreath

• Tech Certified
  • NASCAR Crewmember
  • Moosehead - in Montana its not just a beer.
  • Awards:
    TechMileHighDonor
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2009, 02:33:34 am »
how did you clean the pcm connector?

the wire terminal connectors inside the harness are made of gold, and are very sensitive. this could be hurting your pcm as well.

1993 W250 12 valve
hx40, 75hp sticks, m4, 4000 gov, arp's , 60lb springs, electric lift pump, timing advanced, full power screw bottomed, smoke screw turned up, star wheel turned 2 turns.
Chris

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc