270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1830 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: Machining H2 Wheels at home to fit your Ram  (Read 7083 times)

Offline tobinj

• Technician
  • Awards:
    Donation
Machining H2 Wheels at home to fit your Ram
« on: July 09, 2008, 05:23:34 pm »
Okay guys I dont have many pics but I can at least explain how its done with just a router.  I did this a few months ago and didnt think DIY but yall will get the point.

Items needed:
Router
1/2" Flush Mount Router bit
and of course H2 Wheels

Here is a pic of my H2 wheels before the process, the H2's are slightly smaller and will not fit our hubs.  However they are only aluminum and you can route them in about 2 minutes.

I know its hard but you can see a ridge running around the inside hub area this part is raised and on the outside of the wheel there is a small flat area. 

Place your router on the inside of the wheel with the wheel laying flat and set the depth of the router bit to meet the outside of the wheel where the small flat area is.  The bearing on the router bit should ride along the small flat area once it is milled down.

Fire up the router go slow and determine your speed setting, I have the Dewalt and it worked great on 3.  You will want to move in a counterclockwise motion around the center of the wheel.  At first it will be very uneven but once the bearing on the bit makes contact with the flat area it will be a perfect circle and you are done.  By eliminating teh ridge area you get the exact meaurement you need to fit our hubs and I believe it is something like 3.774 but dont hold me to it.

One bit cost me $17 and I purchased a good one and after doing 5 wheels with it it is still good all in all the result was perfect it looks like a machine shop did it at a third of the cost and I did it with the tires on.  Hopefully this helps but feel free to ask any questions as I am not good at explaining things.

Below is the completed wheel as you can see perfectly flat

06 Quad - G56 - Level - Moto Metal 955's  - Banks High Ram Intake - S&B Air Intake - MBRP  
Arguing over the internet is like being in the special olympics even if you win your still retarded

Offline Cumminalong

• Master of Destruction - Breaker of performance parts
  • Official DOF Vendor
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • The BOMB'r
  • Awards:
    1100ROTYMember of the Year1 Tech
Re: Machining H2 Wheels at home to fit your Ram
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 09:53:10 pm »
SWEET!

What kind of bit were you using on it?

Offline tobinj

• Technician
  • Awards:
    Donation
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 03:30:36 pm »
I think i put it up top but it is any Flush Mount Trim bit 1/2".  If you get one you definateley should go cobalt type just cause it will make it through all of them and be useable later for wood or more wheels.

Just have to make sure it has a bearing to ride on at the bottom so you can achieve the exact cut your looking for
06 Quad - G56 - Level - Moto Metal 955's  - Banks High Ram Intake - S&B Air Intake - MBRP  
Arguing over the internet is like being in the special olympics even if you win your still retarded

Offline Tommygunz

• 2009 Fantasy NASCAR Champ
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Rocket Surgeon
  • Awards:
    ROTM400HPAFDonor
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 03:57:31 pm »
I just brought mine to a machinist with the measurement I was looking for. He said he does alot of custom wheel work and charged me only $15 bucks per wheel..

Didn't own a router and I was really afriad of farking them up.
2007 Mega Dually Laramie,Garmons Diesel Performance Tow Transmission, Edge Juice+CTS, Custom intake, Banks Smartlock & Exhaust Brake,Air Bagged Rear Axle, Kenwood DNX 7160 NAV system, Aero 4040xl, Bushwacker Pocket Front Fender Flares, Surco 50X60 Roof Rack, Homegrown Rhino'd Rockers and Bed, Functional Scooped Fiberglass Hood

Offline Scott91370

• Master Technician
  • Awards:
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 04:22:00 am »
Thanks for the DIY.  Bit was $15-$20 and my brother had the router.  30 minutes worth of time and they fit like a champ.

One thing I had an issue with was the bolt holding the bearing in place kept coming loose.  It ruined the first bit but the second one I used some lock tight on before I got to work.
Scott

2001 CTD, 4.5" Lift, 35's, 5" turbo back exhaust, banks wastegate actuator, some bully dog thing

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc