270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1830 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: Dually to single conversion  (Read 15920 times)

Offline RAGINRAM

• Oil Changer
  • MINIRIG
  • Awards:
    200kDonorUS Army
Dually to single conversion
« on: December 03, 2009, 07:14:49 pm »
So I was searching around and was thinking of converting my dually to a single wheel just for the looks well and the fack Id be hauling less weight there for creating more power and less drag.  This should be as easy as taking off the fenders putting on some flares and removing the adapter plate and getting a new set of wheels and tires or just wheels actually and possibly finding someone who wants to swap parts.  Just pondering though.  Also I was possibly thinking about changing my rear end gears from 4:10 to somthing a little more fuel friendly. ::?:
2006 DODGE RAM 2500 165,000mi silencer ring removed, fabricated 4 inch cold air intake, fabricated intake manifold, muffler delete kit, edge hot juice w/attitude , mystery switch, ATS Built 48-RE Auto Trans,ATS 5 Star Viskus Clutch Drive Torque Converter, ATS Extra Deep Transmission Pan, ATS Billet Input Shaft,adjustable valve body assistant. Mechanical boost gauge max 60lbs. Air Dog II 165, Boost cooler.........

Offline Kilch123

• Mechanical God!!!
  • Thanks Pat and Adam!!!
  • Awards:
    DECEMBER ROTM 2011Mile High500 HPDistinguishedTech CertifiedDonorAir Force
Re: Dually to single conversion
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 07:28:13 pm »
If you do that, I may be interested in the "take off" parts...

I do know that you will be plugging a bunch of holes in the fenders, and you'll need a different fuel filler hose (maybe be able to fab one from what you have)

I think the axles are actually different (the dually axle is wider) but I'm not sure on that one

3.55 gears will definitely get better mileage, but changing will throw off your shift points and speedo
***Currently at Smokin Okie Diesel - Enid OK***
99 3500QCLB 6x6 5 Speed - D Tech Twins,SB DD3600,Adrenaline/Pulse,Smarty,DDP 110's,Hamilton's,ARP Studs,Airdog,CFE+,Silverline4",Mag-Hytec F/R,Amsoil-B2B,Isspro Performax Boost/EGT & Fuel-pillar mount,2Low Mod,BD SBS and Short Shifter, All LED

516/1127     9/18/09
14.788/93.78  8/8/09

If You Are Not Willing To Stand Behind Our Troops, Please Feel Free To Stand In Front Of Them!

Offline Buford445

• Mechanical God!!!
  • I'm a little teapot short & stout
  • Awards:
    ROTMContributorDonation
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 07:30:56 pm »
I have read that under the rear fenders that the bode has bigger wheelwells, that it is easier to swap beds, and I think that the rear axle is narrower or wider on the dually

Thanks To HTS Transmission

PEOPLE MAY NOT REMEMBER EXACTLY
WHAT YOU DID, OR WHAT YOU SAID ~BUT~THEY WILL
ALWAYS REMEMBER HOW YOU MADE THEM
FEEL.

Offline mayfair

• Master Smartazz!!!
  • Shade Tree Certified
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • Last 8 - w j 1 8 7 6 2 5
  • Awards:
    rotm200k400 HPShade TreeContributorDonor
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 07:38:43 pm »
Hmmmmm ... :scratch:

:31:

Offline RAGINRAM

• Oil Changer
  • MINIRIG
  • Awards:
    200kDonorUS Army
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009, 07:39:27 pm »
Ill have to look into the axle width, I read a forum where it said the axle is the same width I guess it will take a little extra researching, Im not set on doing this yet just pondering and would be real easy if there was someone who wanted to swap gear all six wheels for four and I think I could cover up the holes with some fender flares I like them anyways
2006 DODGE RAM 2500 165,000mi silencer ring removed, fabricated 4 inch cold air intake, fabricated intake manifold, muffler delete kit, edge hot juice w/attitude , mystery switch, ATS Built 48-RE Auto Trans,ATS 5 Star Viskus Clutch Drive Torque Converter, ATS Extra Deep Transmission Pan, ATS Billet Input Shaft,adjustable valve body assistant. Mechanical boost gauge max 60lbs. Air Dog II 165, Boost cooler.........

Offline kenz

• Michigan Historian
  • Sportsman Moderator
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Coming to a state near you
  • Awards:
    100KContributing MemberDonor
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2009, 01:25:11 am »
From what I've read the 14 bolt axle is the same width weather SRW or DRW. But the brakes/hubs are thicker so you would have to swap to the SRW brake/hub. The Dana 70HD dually axle is supposed to be alot wider than the SRW axle, but never seen one so don't know. For the front I believe you can just remove the hub extension. Would also need 4 new wheels. When you remove the dually fenders the wheel well is cut WAY bigger than normal and is pre-drilled for the mounting bolts. Take alot of body work to still use the box. Most recommend replacing the box with a standard long box, like from a utility box/converter company. Switching to a 3:55 gear would be excellent for daily driving, just remember with the swap to SRW and gear swap, tow capacity will drop and weight carrying capacity will drop also.

2005 QC Dually 2wd CTD 6-spd. SRT-6, AEM Brute Force intake, Smarty Sr., D.O.F. shift knob, 5" to dual side exit 4" exhaust, Quad Scout, road kill kat, 2011 Coachmen North Ridge fifth wheel

I MAY BE OLD, BUT I GOT TO SEE ALL THE GOOD BANDS.....

Offline RAGINRAM

• Oil Changer
  • MINIRIG
  • Awards:
    200kDonorUS Army
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2009, 01:47:02 am »
 :argh: too many choices ya know, do you think it would be worth converting, or should I just change gears? Its not that I dont like the DRW just thinking of mileage. and I might want to put a small lift on it and a lift on a DRW is going to be a little more costly

Offline Kilch123

• Mechanical God!!!
  • Thanks Pat and Adam!!!
  • Awards:
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2009, 03:58:39 am »
I'm kinda biased, but I'd leave it DRW

With the mods in my sig, and driving it hard all the time (mix of city and highway) I get about 195 MPG with the 3.55 gears and a 5 speed manual trans

Switching to Single is not gonna make much difference mileage wise (it'll probably take 10 years to make up for the cost of the swap)
99 3500QCLB 6x6 5 Speed - D Tech Twins,SB DD3600,Adrenaline/Pulse,Smarty,DDP 110's,Hamilton's,ARP Studs,Airdog,CFE+,Silverline4",Mag-Hytec F/R,Amsoil-B2B,Isspro Performax Boost/EGT & Fuel-pillar mount,2Low Mod,BD SBS and Short Shifter, All LED

516/1127     9/18/09
14.788/93.78  8/8/09

If You Are Not Willing To Stand Behind Our Troops, Please Feel Free To Stand In Front Of Them!

Offline spencea15

• Shade Tree Certified
  • NASCAR Crewmember
  • Awards:
    DonorShade Tree Cert
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2009, 04:23:54 am »
Tom You get 195 mpg, that is great you most be able to go like 3000 between fill ups
I'm kinda biased, but I'd leave it DRW

With the mods in my sig, and driving it hard all the time (mix of city and highway) I get about 195 MPG with the 3.55 gears and a 5 speed manual trans

Switching to Single is not gonna make much difference mileage wise (it'll probably take 10 years to make up for the cost of the swap)
2000 Dakota CC slt plus, v6 :( auto.

Offline Kilch123

• Mechanical God!!!
  • Thanks Pat and Adam!!!
  • Awards:
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2009, 04:26:10 am »
oops - missed a decimal point

Thanks!

That's 19.5

516/1127     9/18/09
14.788/93.78  8/8/09

Offline ChinookFE

• Master Technician
  • Engine Area Clear, Fire Guard Posted, Ready on One
  • Awards:
    MileHileArmy
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2009, 09:20:12 am »
I would just swap gears....I don't see the point in doing all that work and spending all that money to save a couple bucks at the pump.  Dodge already makes a longbed SRW truck, I would just sell the dually and buy one of them if you really want it.  Why waste all the time and effort to make something that is already mass produced.

'96 Ram 1500 4x4, 3", 35"s, Bunch 'o goodies

Offline RAGINRAM

• Oil Changer
  • MINIRIG
  • Awards:
    200kDonorUS Army
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2009, 11:57:24 am »
Yeah I might just increase tire size to offset the gears

Offline FroneDaddy

• Shade Tree Certified
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Awards:
    MileHighShade TreeDonorContributorFF
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2009, 02:27:10 pm »
You're gonna lose mileage with bigger tires.
I'm An and I Drive A

Offline RAGINRAM

• Oil Changer
  • MINIRIG
  • Awards:
    200kDonorUS Army
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2009, 02:41:34 pm »
Well I was just thinking it would lower the rpms at higher speeds I had a 96 with 38 s on it that made a huge difference at higher speeds 

Offline FroneDaddy

• Shade Tree Certified
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Awards:
    MileHighShade TreeDonorContributorFF
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2009, 03:42:31 pm »
Yes it will lower rpm's, however you are increasing your rolling resistance by making more contact with the pavement.

I can't explain the technical aspect of it that well, maybe someone will chime in and be able to explain it better.
I'm An and I Drive A

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc