270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1830 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: converting manual window and locks to power?  (Read 6622 times)

Offline wstakes

• Awards:
converting manual window and locks to power?
« on: August 28, 2011, 08:52:22 am »
I have a 2003 dodge ram 3500 quad cab and it is manual everything. I want to change it over to power locks, power windows and even power mirrors. I have found someone on craigslist that is parting out a truck like mine and will sell me the door panels, lock motor, window motor, and wire harness for the door.

now my question is, will I have to make my own harness to get them to work or will it just plug and play kind of thing? I looked at the harness plug in the body of the truck at the door jam and i only have 4 wires on the truck side of the harness so i assume that it is not plug and play. assuming the 4 wires are for the speaker and the door ajar sensor.
this is what i am thinking i would have to do...i would have to just run new wires to each of the 3 passenger doors to get it all to work out correctly..but i am not for sure.

has anyone done this before or have any ideas on this? I see online kits for after market set ups but to me the switches just dont look right so I would rather have it factory looking.

another question that i have is i would like to also retro fit an overhead console with the temp and compass thing...i assume that also is not plug and play so does anyone know about retro fitting one of those?

I appreciate any help.
Thanks

Offline lilfroger

• Administrator
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • Not a "god" ... I just talk a lot
  • Awards:
    ROTMDonorARMYMOTY
Re: converting manual window and locks to power?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2011, 06:17:09 pm »
One other question to look for the answer too ... will the computer need to be re-programed by the dealer so that it sees all that stuff?
Install, Owners, & Service Manuals for many years & makes:
http://www.scribd.com/lilfroger

Offline pctgreg

• Sr Technician
  • Awards:
    donorContributor
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 03:09:28 pm »
I have a 2003 dodge ram 3500 quad cab and it is manual everything. I want to change it over to power locks, power windows and even power mirrors. I have found someone on craigslist that is parting out a truck like mine and will sell me the door panels, lock motor, window motor, and wire harness for the door.

now my question is, will I have to make my own harness to get them to work or will it just plug and play kind of thing? I looked at the harness plug in the body of the truck at the door jam and i only have 4 wires on the truck side of the harness so i assume that it is not plug and play. assuming the 4 wires are for the speaker and the door ajar sensor.
this is what i am thinking i would have to do...i would have to just run new wires to each of the 3 passenger doors to get it all to work out correctly..but i am not for sure.

has anyone done this before or have any ideas on this? I see online kits for after market set ups but to me the switches just dont look right so I would rather have it factory looking.

another question that i have is i would like to also retro fit an overhead console with the temp and compass thing...i assume that also is not plug and play so does anyone know about retro fitting one of those?

I appreciate any help.
Thanks

In the case of a 2nd gen, it requires a "High-line/premium CTM", I have the base CTM.  When I added up the cost of a new module, programming from the dealership with drb, cost of door wiring, motors, the door panel etc.  Oh, and at least in the 2nd gen's there was an additional harness that connected the two doors and ran behind the dash which could be a chore to remove/install.  I decided I would continue to reach over and pop the door lol.  I did however settle on installing cruise control in my truck.  :lol:

I looked into it very heavily a while back for my truck, but the cost was not worth it to me in the end.  Apparently when I redid my laptop, the 3rd gen shop manual never made it back on here.... so I can't exactly help point you in the right direction at this time.  Your best bet is to download the manual and take a read with whatever comes up with "power locks" etc.  Look at the CTM - Central Timer Module section to see if it is still the same for 3rd gen.  (Mine is page 453 in 2001 manual).  Other than that, I wish you luck with it. :2cool:
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 03:11:07 pm by pctgreg »
01 1500 4x4

Offline lilfroger

• Administrator
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • Awards:
    ROTMDonorARMYMOTY
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 02:24:05 pm »
... Apparently when I redid my laptop, the 3rd gen shop manual never made it back on here....

:whistling:
I think I know where you can get something like that....

Offline aka_chewy

• NASCAR Crewmember
  • Awards:
    Donor
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2011, 04:11:17 pm »
^^^ :lol: :lol:

Offline pctgreg

• Sr Technician
  • Awards:
    donorContributor
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2011, 08:02:06 pm »
 :lol: thanks Jo
01 1500 4x4

Offline lilfroger

• Administrator
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • Awards:
    ROTMDonorARMYMOTY
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2011, 10:05:00 pm »
:D

Offline RoaminGnome

• Master Technician
  • Chrome hating gnome!
  • Awards:
    High Mile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2011, 04:14:23 am »
:rotfl:
:fwin: <--- just says i all :D

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc