270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1829 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: 3RD Gen 5.9 CTD FASS 150 Installation  (Read 21235 times)

Offline Cumminalong

• Master of Destruction - Breaker of performance parts
  • Official DOF Vendor
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • The BOMB'r
  • Awards:
    1100ROTYMember of the Year1 Tech
3RD Gen 5.9 CTD FASS 150 Installation
« on: August 13, 2008, 10:55:08 pm »
Okay, here is the procedure for installing a FASS pump on a 3rd Gen CTD.

The instructions that come with the kit are actually pretty good, but they do leave a bit to be desired. I found that the sequence they describe to install the FASS is a bit out of order.

Also, this includes doing the tank overflow tube relocation mod, to allow you to get approx 3 extra gals of fuel in the tank.

Overall, THE hardest part was getting the fuel tank out. It's very tight on top of the tank to get the fuel lines disconnected. Make sure that your tank is as empty as possible. Even at approx 1/8th of a tank, there is still quite a bit of fuel in it.

Items that you will NEED that are not included with the FASS are:

Wire ties, teflon pipe tape, a 1 1/4" hole saw, drill, drill bits (1/8", 3/8" and 13/32") and a small cup or aerosol can cap to catch the hole saw debris

Items that you will WANT to ease the installation are:

Heat gun and a small amount of oil to lube the fittings and soften the fuel line for the push lock fittings, a box cutter or shears for the fuel lines, an air source to blow out all the fittings and hoses, a few extra extra small to medium size hose clamps.

Anyways, here is the DIY.

See Step 4: In order to tighten down the pump bracket to the frame bracket, you will need to remove the 2 filters. Once you have the location for the bracket drilled and the pump is secured, you can re-install the filters.

See Step 7: This is the location I drilled for the pick up tube. It is as close to the center of the tank as possible and it's very close to one of the tank baffles. This will give you the most usable fuel and keeps the pick up tube from becoming uncovered under hard acceleration with low fuel.

See Step 10: The blue fuel line and push lock fittings are VERY tight. Use a bit of oil on the fittings and use a heat gun to soften the fuel lines a bit to fully seat them. You may want to use hose clamps at the connection points, but it is not necessary. I have not noticed any leaks from the push lock fittings

See Step 10(cont): Make sure that you disconnect the fuel heater from the filter housing; it's the BLUE plug near the top of the canister, going vertically, that I have the fuel line secured to. If you do not disconnect this, it will overheat and burn out.

See Step 11: Make sure that you drain the fuel out of the factory filter housing or it will leak out from the disconnected factory fuel line going to the injection pump.

Here is the finished installation, looking at it from the drivers side rear tire.

What it sounds like while it's running.....
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 08:51:36 pm by Cumminalong »

4x4fantasy

Re: 3RD Gen 5.9 CTD FASS 150 Installation
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2008, 12:12:02 am »
Excellent write-up!!  But ya know, your truck "could" use a little dirt to prove you DO drive it.  :)

Offline Cumminalong

• Official DOF Vendor
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • The BOMB'r
  • Awards:
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008, 12:17:40 am »
Ohhhh, you just need to know that I drive it?.....

4x4fantasy

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2008, 12:23:03 am »
Where is the videos of you mud bogging, sled pulling, or doing donuts in the snow???  :)

That ray feller sure needs to call me up!!  :)

Offline Cumminalong

• Official DOF Vendor
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • The BOMB'r
  • Awards:
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2008, 12:29:55 am »
Mud Boggin'.......uhhhh, not in this truck.

Sled Pullin'......as soon as we have one near me, you'll see a video.

Donuts in the snow???..........Mike,......... I live in Alabama.......and it's August.......you'll more likely to see asphalt melt.

;D
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 12:43:06 am by Cumminalong »

4x4fantasy

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2008, 12:43:19 am »
Sorry hillbilly, thought you may have ventured over to one of them udder states that gets dat white stuff.  LOL

Back on topic though, it really is a very informative write-up!!

Offline Cumminalong

• Official DOF Vendor
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • The BOMB'r
  • Awards:
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2008, 12:48:47 am »
The written instructions that come with the kit are pretty good, but they pictures in it are pretty tough to follow along with. They keep skipping back and forth instead of having a picture, followed by a step, picture, step, etc., etc.

They give a page of little pics, then a page or two of written stuff with references back to the pics.

Most of the pictures I took are of steps that aren't very clear in the instructions or didn't have pics at all.

It wasn't a tough install, the biggest PITA was the fuel tank. Even that might not have been too bad, but trying to do it with busted ribs didn't make it any easier.

Once the tank was out, it was gravy.

Offline ChinookFE

• Master Technician
  • Engine Area Clear, Fire Guard Posted, Ready on One
  • Awards:
    MileHileArmy
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2009, 08:46:43 am »
I wish I could have tucked my Air Dog up that tight, the only place I could figure to mount mine was right under the drivers door, and you can see half the filter and separator.

'96 Ram 1500 4x4, 3", 35"s, Bunch 'o goodies

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc