270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1830 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: AFE Intake install  (Read 2848 times)

Offline Dodgehtr

• Gas Pumper
  • Awards:
    AF
AFE Intake install
« on: February 18, 2011, 03:38:13 am »
To start off I want to say tis is the first DIY I've tried and still figuring out how to do things in the Forum.  I'll keep reading but any hints or tips would be welcome.  :smiley:

I started with the tools required in the instructions and realized I needed more: 5/16 Nut driver, 13mm socket, 9/16 Socket and Wrench (instructions say one but you'll need either 2 wrenches or 1 wrench and a socket), Ratchet and Extension, Flat head screwdriver, 5/32 Allen wrench, I also needed a 1/4 Nut driver and a 10mm. A torx T-20 is needed but it is included in the kit.
During this would be a good time to remove the Silencer ring on the turbo if you want. I didn't but might later I'm not sure yet.

First disconnect the temp sensor then remove the stock OE tube and the Air box. The instructions say to use a 5/16 nut driver for removing the stock clamps that didn't work for me I needed a 1/4. The stock air box has a 10mm nut and 2 grommets holding it in. After removing the stock Air box remove the 2 rubber grommets on the battery box.

After you take that out you need the 10mm to take the bolt out of the upper radiator mount to install an L bracket to hold the new air box. Don't tighten the bolt all the way leave it loose for adjustment later. Install the AFE supplied Air box there are 2-9/16 bolts, nuts and washers supplied in the kit. The one closest to the fender is a little complicated to tighten by yourself but it’s doable. Now that all the bolts are in tighten everything up.

Remove the Temp Sensor from the stock Air tube with the T-20 Torx and install it with the provided gasket and screws in the AFE Kit. Also the instructions don't cover this but the AFE has a spot for another sensor there is a provided plug and a grommet for the hole but for the 5.9 I used the plug. Also at this time install the coupler on the intake tube. I found that putting the clamp on snug to keep it from moving when putting it on the Turbo made it easier.

Now Its time to install the tube onto the turbo. Make sure that it’s installed with plenty of overlap for the clamp and tighten it down. Now is a good time to install the Air filter. There is a hole in the engine side of the Air box that will come close to lining up with a threaded hole in the air tube. It may take a little persuasion but it will go. Hook up the Temp Sensor. I Zip tied the extra wire from the sensor up to keep it clear from the exhaust and the alternator. Install the Top with the washers and 5/16 Allen bolts provided with the kit. And enjoy.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 03:54:05 am by Dodgehtr »
2007 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT 4WD 6-Speed(G56) 5.9 Cummins

Offline Cumminalong

• Master of Destruction - Breaker of performance parts
  • Official DOF Vendor
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • The BOMB'r
  • Awards:
    1100ROTYMember of the Year1 Tech
Re: AFE Intake install
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 12:36:58 pm »
:up:

Ahhhh, they grow up so fast........

:pout:

I remember way back when.....so innocent.

It's a slippery slope....

:lol:
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 04:01:15 pm by Cumminalong »

Offline Jims1dodge

• NASCAR Crewmember
  • Awards:
    Heavy Haulerdonor100k
Re: AFE Intake install
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 11:36:30 pm »
Yes it is- :up:
You can't fix stupid

~When I was a boy I was told that anybody could become President. Now I’m beginning to believe it

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc