270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1830 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: 96 Ram 1500 Cranking Problems  (Read 1221 times)

Offline Bigtime575

• Awards:
96 Ram 1500 Cranking Problems
« on: May 24, 2015, 09:57:20 pm »
Hi there. First post. I recently acquired a 96 Ram 1500 which had some issues which I have since resolved. This truck has now developed a starting issue over the last couple of days. It intermittently will not crank at all. I have replaced the neutral safety switch (auto trans and had an issue with backup lights - fixed the lights), and replaced the starter relay. The issue compounds in that I have found that when it does not crank, if I hold it in the start position for roughly 2-3 seconds, it begins to crank then starts. Thereafter, it seems to start fine until the truck sits for a period of time.   Any thoughts? I read about the crank position sensor, but that seems to be with the vehicle not starting but cranking fine. Also thought maybe the ignition switch is tired (245k on the truck), or the solenoid on the starter is beginning to go out. No clicking at all however when it is exhibiting this issue, which leads me to suspect the solenoid is fine. There is no security system or transponder key for this vehicle, so I don't believe that could be contributing.  I swapped the ignition switch but may have got a DOA part as it would not crank when reinstalling the original, it cranked right up, however it was doing that intermittently before.

Any help is appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline noplugs

• Kung Fu Panda! - closeted conservative
  • Administrator
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • This thing has 4 wheel drive?
  • Awards:
    600 HPShade TreeDistinguishedApril ROTMDonor
Re: 96 Ram 1500 Cranking Problems
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 09:41:38 pm »
Well I wont be much help there there are a few folks on here with 1500's. they should pipe up soon i think.
659 HP/1287 TQ -- She's BACK!  Yeah,,, nope she's not stock..

Doghouse Diesel Performance rocks

Nothing is exactly as it seems,nor is it otherwise

Offline Bigtime575

• Awards:
Re: 96 Ram 1500 Cranking Problems
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2015, 10:11:50 pm »
I think I may have resolved it through trial and error. The ASD relay may have been my culprit. Not knowing what it was, I didn't mess with it. After reading up on the acronym, Automatic Starter Disconnect, I swapped it with a known good relay. I have not had it hesitate in cranking all day thus far. Fingers crossed that it remains that way.

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc