270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1829 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: Does anyone know what this it?  (Read 6015 times)

Offline NickC

• Mechanical God!!!
  • V-neck pimp daddy
  • Awards:
    100kHeavyrotm400Donor
Does anyone know what this it?
« on: May 28, 2009, 10:12:57 pm »
I rented a boat with my brother and his buddy Monday morning and this is one of the things we landed that day. At first i thought it was a baby muskie but then just thought it was some kind of northern pike. I remember seeing a chart with pictures of the pike family and one of them being a spotted pike of some sort but im not sure where i seen it and cant find it. I want to think i seen the chart of a muskie charter i was on 2 summers ago which would tell me its a muskie but i cant be sure.

From the pictures i have came up with online, it does not look like a young northern or a young muskie but i know the lake is FULL of both  :scratch:

05 2500 AUTO 4X4 4:10 LARAMIE CTD-CAT/SILENCER RING?, AERO 4040XL, SMARTY, XM RADIO, RECON CAB LIGHTS, CUP SMOOTHIE, QUAD COMMANDER, CFM+ MANIFOLD, S&B INTAKE, FOX WEATHER BOOTS

Offline Tom Courtright

• Dakota Section Moderator
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • You can find me in the chatroom
  • Awards:
    Layed OutMile HighDonorShade Tree CertContributor
Re: Does anyone know what this it?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 10:17:46 pm »
um
its a fish

it aint low till it scars asphalt

Go Stupid Or Go Home

Offline kenz

• Michigan Historian
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Coming to a state near you
  • Awards:
    100KContributing MemberDonor
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 12:40:30 am »
Looks like it could possibly be a young spotted muskie. There are three types, spotted, and barred, which are natural strain, and the tiger which is a hybrid cross between a northern pike and spotted muskie. Anyway he looks a little small to keep.  :whistling:

2005 QC Dually 2wd CTD 6-spd. SRT-6, AEM Brute Force intake, Smarty Sr., D.O.F. shift knob, 5" to dual side exit 4" exhaust, Quad Scout, road kill kat, 2011 Coachmen North Ridge fifth wheel

I MAY BE OLD, BUT I GOT TO SEE ALL THE GOOD BANDS.....

Offline NickC

• Mechanical God!!!
  • V-neck pimp daddy
  • Awards:
    100kHeavyrotm400Donor
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009, 01:14:40 am »
Now that you mentioned there are 3 types of muskie, its got to be a muskie. I do remember looking at a chart on that muskie charter i was on and its the only place i think i would of seen the different muskies. I don't know why i could not find them online though, i even typed in "spotted muskie"  :scratch:

Yes you are correct about the keeping size, it was even to small if it was a northern. Northerns have to be 24" and the muskies have to be 42" ( :eek: ) and this was only 21". Even if it was keeping size, i usually throw pike back because i don't know how to get that 'Y' bone out of them...

I always remember the sizes of the fish we catch because we always throw a bet out for the biggest fish caught over 10". It makes for a real neat day on the water if you have a few friends all throwing in $5 or $10 bucks each!

05 2500 AUTO 4X4 4:10 LARAMIE CTD-CAT/SILENCER RING?, AERO 4040XL, SMARTY, XM RADIO, RECON CAB LIGHTS, CUP SMOOTHIE, QUAD COMMANDER, CFM+ MANIFOLD, S&B INTAKE, FOX WEATHER BOOTS

Offline Mitch

• Mechanical God!!!
  • Awards:
    500ROTMDonorContributorArmy
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009, 08:31:25 pm »
That is definitely a Muskie. Muskie's are spotted, Northern's are striped.
2022 2500 Laramie CCLB, 6.7 CTD, stock
57 Chevy 3200 pickup, 12V swap
1985 Jeep CJ10A former Tug- Dana 60, 6cyl Nissan diesel
2020 Mahindra Roxor, Dana 60s F/R, Ag tires

Offline NickC

• Mechanical God!!!
  • V-neck pimp daddy
  • Awards:
    100kHeavyrotm400Donor
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2009, 02:36:06 am »
To bad was not this size:

The lake that we fish on is suppose to be one of the best lakes in America to catch a muskie in, i hear people from all over come to fish it. Now whether that's true or not i cant be sure, but its a neat thing to know considering it use to be a fish of a million cast's around here.

Also, as i was browsing muskie pictures i came across this one:

You can really tell that the the fish my brother caught was a muskie after seeing this.

Offline Mitch

• Mechanical God!!!
  • Awards:
    500ROTMDonorContributorArmy
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2009, 02:53:14 am »
I head they are a PITA to catch. My father in law has been fishing for over 40 years, and caught his first Muskie this past spring.
2022 2500 Laramie CCLB, 6.7 CTD, stock
57 Chevy 3200 pickup, 12V swap
1985 Jeep CJ10A former Tug- Dana 60, 6cyl Nissan diesel
2020 Mahindra Roxor, Dana 60s F/R, Ag tires

Offline blown287

• Technician
  • Awards:
    300HPDonorContributorUS Navy
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2009, 03:58:07 am »

Offline NickC

• Mechanical God!!!
  • V-neck pimp daddy
  • Awards:
    100kHeavyrotm400Donor
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2009, 10:15:00 pm »
I head they are a PITA to catch. My father in law has been fishing for over 40 years, and caught his first Muskie this past spring.

I guess they have been considered as "a fish of a million cast's" for a long time now but up until a few years ago they have became much more abundant. At least around here anyways...

I know the local charters do good on the lake in near (Lake St. Clair), that is when ever in not on them :argh:

I went out a few years ago on a muskie charter and came up with no pictures, story's, or fish's and a few sick dudes to top it off. But this guy had some pretty impressive pictures of his catch's.

Offline Silverbullit

• Awards:
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2009, 05:53:42 am »
Looks kind of like what they call a Gar fish, sort of like the Pike family..

Offline NickC

• Mechanical God!!!
  • V-neck pimp daddy
  • Awards:
    100kHeavyrotm400Donor
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2009, 07:57:55 pm »
You mean a gar pike?

There are one of these monsters that's always swimming along a peer that i fish off of in the spring time. I have threw EVERYTHING at it and it bites on everything i throw at it but i still cant hook that damn thing! These fish are one of the harder fish to get hooked because of the bony mouth they have.

Offline replicator

• Oil Changer
  • Awards:
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2009, 05:23:13 pm »
These look pike-ish. Nevertheless, do they intermittently produce tugging sensation once hooked? I love how almost every single pike i've caught has done that.

Offline kenz

• Michigan Historian
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Coming to a state near you
  • Awards:
    100KContributing MemberDonor
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2009, 01:59:59 am »
The Muskie (Muskellunge) is in the same family as the Northern Pike and Gar Pike. The Gar has a long nose full of teeth. Pike a fairly easy to get, muskies are extemely hard to hook. World record is like 69lbs.  :eek:

2005 QC Dually 2wd CTD 6-spd. SRT-6, AEM Brute Force intake, Smarty Sr., D.O.F. shift knob, 5" to dual side exit 4" exhaust, Quad Scout, road kill kat, 2011 Coachmen North Ridge fifth wheel

I MAY BE OLD, BUT I GOT TO SEE ALL THE GOOD BANDS.....

Offline NickC

• Mechanical God!!!
  • V-neck pimp daddy
  • Awards:
    100kHeavyrotm400Donor
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2009, 02:14:16 am »
69...  That had to be fun  :devil:

Offline bran_gun08

• Technician
  • Started the 10,000th Topic!!!
  • Awards:
    200K Miles
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2009, 02:30:03 am »
You mean a gar pike?

There are one of these monsters that's always swimming along a peer that i fish off of in the spring time. I have threw EVERYTHING at it and it bites on everything i throw at it but i still cant hook that damn thing! These fish are one of the harder fish to get hooked because of the bony mouth they have.

Me and my friends fish in a spillway for garr and they both got one and I didn't but it took forever for them to catch them.
1996 Dogde Ram 1500 club cab
360 V-8
300h.p/360tq. est
custom exhaust
air raid cold air intanke
E-3 spark plugs
Built Auto trans with a 1680 stall and lockup converter

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc