270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1829 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: Early death of a 318?  (Read 3722 times)

Offline 96GreenMachine

• Sr Technician
  • Awards:
    HighMileFireFighter
Early death of a 318?
« on: April 01, 2012, 02:20:36 am »
 :pout: so over the last couple days I've noticed an increasing horrible knock coming from the block of my engine. Unfortunately I think my engines about to throw a big old rod and give me the finger. I don't know how to post video from my phone but I'll get the video up later. If anyone has any sort of information that could help me I'd greatly appreciate it.
'96 1500 reg. cab short bed, 318, 5spd, 4wd

Offline SH0K0TA

• "when in doubt... pinky out"
  • Service Manager
  • Awards:
    ContributorLay'n LowHigh Mile ClubEMT
Re: Early death of a 318?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 04:28:58 am »
most likely the rod bearing.  you might be able to pro long the inevitable with heavy weight oil... but it prolly won't last much longer without attention.

right now, you could prolly get away with swapping bearings... but soon you'll be looking at rod(s), crankshaft, bearings, and possibly machine work if the rod hurts the cylinder wall

Offline 96GreenMachine

• Sr Technician
  • Awards:
    HighMileFireFighter
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 06:33:22 am »

Offline SH0K0TA

• Service Manager
  • Awards:
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 07:08:50 am »
i just realized i need your addy haha. although the small part i have isn't gonna help much lol

Offline SH0K0TA

• Service Manager
  • Awards:
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2012, 07:13:31 am »
Here's the video
It's not pretty

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZA4LsJm_9Pw&feature=youtu.be&noredirect=1

holy damn...

yeah thats deff gotta be a rod knockin. you can deff tell the up and down of the travel it's doing.

at this point, i'd say sideline it, pull the motor and see whats under the oil pan after you flip it on the stand.

too much longer, you might need to get a new crank from oblong wear.

another consideration is the thrust bearing.. but that would make the crank move forward and back... any sudden/recent parts of a belt come off the serp belt?

Offline 96GreenMachine

• Sr Technician
  • Awards:
    HighMileFireFighter
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2012, 07:23:07 am »
Here's the video
It's not pretty

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZA4LsJm_9Pw&feature=youtu.be&noredirect=1

holy damn...

yeah thats deff gotta be a rod knockin. you can deff tell the up and down of the travel it's doing.

at this point, i'd say sideline it, pull the motor and see whats under the oil pan after you flip it on the stand.

too much longer, you might need to get a new crank from oblong wear.

another consideration is the thrust bearing.. but that would make the crank move forward and back... any sudden/recent parts of a belt come off the serp belt?

I haven't checked the belt. Last month, I had the truck up on a lift and a mechanic and i were checking out the rear main seal and crank seal because of slight weeping down the engine, but he got no back and forth play out of the crank and said everything seemed good. I've been looking for other cars to buy, looks like i'm gonna have to purchase one soon and the truck will become a major project. Time to find the 12 valve i've been looking for to swap in with the axles that i have. I'm gonna price out parts when i go back to work tuesday. So we'll see what happens.

Offline 96GreenMachine

• Sr Technician
  • Awards:
    HighMileFireFighter
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2012, 07:24:32 am »
and i appreciate it, but i think i'll hold off until i decide what to do with my situation. Even though it's not a make or break part lol

Offline SH0K0TA

• Service Manager
  • Awards:
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2012, 07:29:24 am »
haha it's all good, i thought you might say that since this popped up.

but deff let me know. and i hope it's easier rather than harder to fix than originally thought

Offline kenz

• Michigan Historian
  • Sportsman Moderator
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Coming to a state near you
  • Awards:
    100KContributing MemberDonor
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2012, 09:19:20 pm »
Could definitely be a rod knock. Being one with experience in this area (killed a 318 in '74 Dodge Coronet), the knock WILL get a lot louder before parts start exiting stage left. What puzzles me, and it might be because of the video, is that usually the rod knock will be steady. The sound I'm hearing is more up/down, more random. I seem to remember sounds like this from years back when I had a '73 Chevelle in which all but one of the torque converter bolts broke, and the TC was flopping around in the housing. Might be worth a check. Should be able to remove the inspection cover and give a look see.

2005 QC Dually 2wd CTD 6-spd. SRT-6, AEM Brute Force intake, Smarty Sr., D.O.F. shift knob, 5" to dual side exit 4" exhaust, Quad Scout, road kill kat, 2011 Coachmen North Ridge fifth wheel

I MAY BE OLD, BUT I GOT TO SEE ALL THE GOOD BANDS.....

Offline ChinookFE

• Master Technician
  • Engine Area Clear, Fire Guard Posted, Ready on One
  • Awards:
    MileHileArmy
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2012, 10:37:33 pm »
Could definitely be a rod knock. Being one with experience in this area (killed a 318 in '74 Dodge Coronet), the knock WILL get a lot louder before parts start exiting stage left. What puzzles me, and it might be because of the video, is that usually the rod knock will be steady. The sound I'm hearing is more up/down, more random. I seem to remember sounds like this from years back when I had a '73 Chevelle in which all but one of the torque converter bolts broke, and the TC was flopping around in the housing. Might be worth a check. Should be able to remove the inspection cover and give a look see.

I'm pretty sure he has a 5 spd truck, no torque converter....

'96 Ram 1500 4x4, 3", 35"s, Bunch 'o goodies

Offline 96GreenMachine

• Sr Technician
  • Awards:
    HighMileFireFighter
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2012, 11:36:54 pm »
I do have a 5spd, but a guy i talked to said it's hard to tell if the noise is coming from the block, or maybe in the transmission and to give that a peak and see if anything is rattling around in there. But it's still shifting fine, and it even drives fine, has power like nothing is wrong with it. I'm gonna take it to my uncles shop and drop the pan and take a look inside to see if we can narrow it down.

Offline 96GreenMachine

• Sr Technician
  • Awards:
    HighMileFireFighter
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2012, 12:01:55 am »
After some lookin around, found some slightly better news. When I push the clutch in, the noise goes away. Still shifts fine and everything but one of the shops says it sounds like the input shaft is rattling around a bit. I feel a lot more confident swapping the transmission being that I've had it out before instead of an engine or doing a rebuild. I think I'm gonna hunt around and try to find a 4500 and upgrade everything right now.

Offline ChinookFE

• Master Technician
  • Awards:
    MileHileArmy
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2012, 01:22:52 am »
Glad it's not the worst case scenario for ya.

Offline 96GreenMachine

• Sr Technician
  • Awards:
    HighMileFireFighter
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2012, 01:57:15 am »
318 and 360 are the same block correct? And they offered a 4500 mated to a 360? Am I wrong or am I gonna have to find an adapter plate for the 4500 to bolt to the 318?

Offline ChinookFE

• Master Technician
  • Awards:
    MileHileArmy
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2012, 03:12:52 am »
They are the same block...I'm not sure of the transmissions offered with each one though.

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc