270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1830 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: DIY: Powersteering pressure line (2.5L)  (Read 2126 times)

Offline SH0K0TA

• "when in doubt... pinky out"
  • Service Manager
  • Awards:
    ContributorLay'n LowHigh Mile ClubEMT
DIY: Powersteering pressure line (2.5L)
« on: June 23, 2010, 12:44:31 am »
Tools needed for line replacement-
13mm wrench
18mm wrench
16mm wrench (i used 5/8ths)
angle grinder (maybe.. maybe not)
adjustable wrench
BFH
jack
jackstand(s)
catch can

it took me a few hours to do... ran into a few snags and took my time.

first get the truck up on jackstands (i left the jack in place, no stands. i know.. bad mike)
then crawl under the truck and look for the two lines coming from the rack. the line that has the bolt going into the rack is the one that is gonna be replaced (18mm). the other lines all have the quick release hose clamps. (didn't snag a pic, will update later)

once thats broken loose, put the catch all under the line so anything leaking will land in that. while this is draining, track the line to the driver side frame rail. you'll notice a bolt holding a line holder. i removed the bolt (13mm) to release the holder easier, but if you can get it off without removing the bolt... more power to ya.

once thats done, trace theline further up to the in line sensor. unclip it and move up the line. you should reach the power steering pump by this point. this bolt gave me the hardest time. its the 16mm and you have barely enough room to turn the wrench with all the lines there... plus is was stuck pretty good. so i got creative and cut the line.. close enough that i was able to use a socket (angle grinder FTW)  i also had to use the BFH to help the bolt come loose.

once that line is off, use the adjustable wrench to remove the sensor housing, and put it in the new line.

when putting the new line in, i found it easiest to bolt it to the rack, then wrap it up the frame rail, then to the pump. the sensor was pluggin in last and test the system... no leaks and your good to go!

also, i didn't forget... but just as a reminder... don't forget to install the O-rings provided!

Offline Tom Courtright

• NASCAR Crew Chief
  • You can find me in the chatroom
  • Awards:
    Layed OutMile HighDonorShade Tree CertContributor
Re: DIY: Powersteering pressure line (2.5L)
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 01:09:14 am »
What's all that extra crap in your engine bay?

it aint low till it scars asphalt

Go Stupid Or Go Home

Offline SH0K0TA

• "when in doubt... pinky out"
  • Service Manager
  • Awards:
    ContributorLay'n LowHigh Mile ClubEMT
Re: DIY: Powersteering pressure line (2.5L)
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 02:15:42 am »
exactly what you said... extra crap lol

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc