270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1830 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: Raptor 150 fuel pump install  (Read 8696 times)

Offline Methos

• Slowly going crazy....
  • Administrator
  • NASCAR Crewmember
  • Awards:
    MOTY200K400 HPDonor
Raptor 150 fuel pump install
« on: July 05, 2010, 03:00:14 pm »
First off, big thanks to Rich for the parts, random neighbors (who I'd never met before) for stopping to help lift the bed back on, and to my wife for wielding the camera during this  :punk:

Unbox the new toy and be sure everything that's supposed to be there is in the box.

Remove the tailgate and taillights, loosen the fuel filler neck, and disconnect the grounding strap.

Stealing Rich's method of tracking install hardware....

Pull the bed off.  We removed using an engine hoist which worked ok.  But it's easier with someone on each corner to just lift it.

Hmm.... starting to resemble Batman13's ride now....   :tt2:

Loosely mount the pump on the mounting bracket.  Do not tighten these fully yet, I discovered that I had to move it down a set of holes to clear once I started assembly.

Locate your favorite spot for mounting to the frame.  The bracket sandwiches the frame with 3 bolts, so no worries about drilling.  Test fitting here, discovered it needed to come down  just a touch.

Install the fuel fittings to the IN and OUT ports on the Raptor

Install and tighten the mounting bolts in the spot determined during test fitting.

Remove the stock pump module from the tank.  Disconnect the fuel lines and wiring harness.  With a big screwdriver and hammer tap the locking ring free and lift the module out.

Holding something inside the tank to catch any debris, drill a 1 1/8" hole to accomodate the draw tube.

Assemble the fittings to the draw tube and slide into the tank for measurement.  The end of the tube should sit roughly 1/4" above the bottom of the tank.

I borrowed another of Rich's techniques learned at the G2G and slightly modified the end of the tube to prevent any problems with something suctioning itself to the end of the tube

This was, in my opinion, one of the hardest steps just because I had trouble reaching it.  Remove the banjo bolt from the back of the fuel filter canister and install the new fuel fitting here.  Attach the new 1/2" fuel line to this fitting and route to the out port on the raptor.

connect the elbow fittings to the pump and connect the hose from the filter housing to the out port and run another section of hose from the in port on the pump to the draw tube.

The one step I failed to get a picture of... The stock pump needs to be disabled.  I disconnected the wiring to the pump while I had the canister out.  Alternatively, you can clip and secure the power lead on the wiring harness externally to the tank (yellow wire/red stripe)

Next is wiring.  This thing was simple to wire.  Find a circuit that is hot with the key on but not with it off.  I used #38 in the fuse box.

Run the red line there.  Run the black to ground.  Route the wiring and plug the other end to the Raptor plug.

Test for leaks and pressure and reassemble the bed, then go back over any loose fuel lines or wiring and secure them properly.

Offline Cumminalong

• Master of Destruction - Breaker of performance parts
  • Official DOF Vendor
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • The BOMB'r
  • Awards:
    1100ROTYMember of the Year1 Tech
Re: Raptor 150 fuel pump install
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 03:04:19 pm »
SCHWEET!

:punk:

Offline Methos

• Slowly going crazy....
  • Administrator
  • NASCAR Crewmember
  • Awards:
    MOTY200K400 HPDonor
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 03:06:49 pm »
One thing I meant to note.  I had a TON of crap on top the tank around the stock fuel canister.  I took the duster and air compressor and cleaned off as much of that crap as I could prior to opening the tank.  Debris in the fuel tank wouldn't have been pretty.

Offline Cumminalong

• Official DOF Vendor
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • The BOMB'r
  • Awards:
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 03:34:56 pm »
Come on now.....you didn't have debris......

THIS is debris.....this was a guys truck that I did right after he drove down the ALCAN highway from Alaska.

This truck had so much salt, sand and other crap on the tank, lines and frame rails, it took me 10 friggin hours to do this pump.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 03:40:31 pm by Cumminalong »

Offline Methos

• Slowly going crazy....
  • Administrator
  • NASCAR Crewmember
  • Awards:
    MOTY200K400 HPDonor
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 03:37:22 pm »
:eek:

Ok, compared to that mine was just a touch dusty

:rotfl:

Offline Cumminalong

• Official DOF Vendor
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • The BOMB'r
  • Awards:
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010, 03:41:38 pm »
Those lines were AFTER I got enough stuff off the top of the tank to even see them.

I literally had to chisel though all the crap around the lock ring and pump module, as it was like concrete.

Offline jcrim

• Technician
  • Popcorn Man - Sowing my seed on the racetrack
  • Awards:
    USA
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2010, 06:10:34 pm »
holy  :censored: !!!!!!! now that thing has needed a good washing for awhile. You reduced his trucks weight by 100lbs  :lol:
06, 2500 4x4, SB DD 3850, super B special, dual feed fuel line,100hp II's,Hamilton 110 springs, hamilton pushrods, ARP 625 studs, AFE Blade runner, custom air intake,cool hose,green filter,FBD grid delete, TST power max cr,smarty TNT/Revo, air dog 150, draw strawV,NO2, 4 in turbo back to 7 inch single mitre, triple pod pillar phantom II gauges, quadzilla rpg/fpg, 2in tough country level kit, bilstein shocks,20in dick cepek/ 33x12.50 nitto mud grapplers

Offline Cumminalong

• Official DOF Vendor
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • The BOMB'r
  • Awards:
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2010, 12:37:40 pm »
holy  :censored: !!!!!!! now that thing has needed a good washing for awhile. You reduced his trucks weight by 100lbs  :lol:

Yeah, that was a PITA.

Offline Methos

• Slowly going crazy....
  • Administrator
  • NASCAR Crewmember
  • Awards:
    MOTY200K400 HPDonor
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2010, 11:03:08 pm »
One thing I just added to this rig that helped A LOT.  The Raptor I thought was a bit loud, and the best I could determine it wasn't so much the pump was that loud but rather the sound was resonating up the frame rail.

So, I got my hands on a piece of some old bed mat material and cut a couple pieces out to sandwich between the Raptor's bracket and the frame.  I also put a small section on the top of the frame under the top 2 mounting bolts.

This helped SOOO much with the noise.  You can still hear it, of course, but it doesn't seem nearly as loud now.  :up:

Offline 1SlowFormula

• Sr Technician
  • Awards:
    ContributorUS Army
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2011, 02:30:56 am »
I'm in the middle of doing this right now and I have found four of the big bolts that hold the bed on. The ones that I have found are located at the front and the ones that go up through the frame, but it still feels like there is something in the rear holding it on. Is there something near the bumper or at the very back?
John P. - 2007 2500 SLT, QC, 4X4, 5.9 CTD, G56 6spd w/SBC DD clutch, 6" BDS lift, 37" VorTrac's, Smarty, AFE stg 2 CAI, CFM+, Labonte DIS-S4, Exergy +40% injectors, II BoP, AirDog II 165, MBRP exhaust and !cat, and Amsoil BMK-25 and all fuilds.

Offline 1SlowFormula

• Sr Technician
  • Awards:
    ContributorUS Army
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2011, 03:22:27 am »
nevermind, I found the last 2 bolts and the bed is now off...
John P. - 2007 2500 SLT, QC, 4X4, 5.9 CTD, G56 6spd w/SBC DD clutch, 6" BDS lift, 37" VorTrac's, Smarty, AFE stg 2 CAI, CFM+, Labonte DIS-S4, Exergy +40% injectors, II BoP, AirDog II 165, MBRP exhaust and !cat, and Amsoil BMK-25 and all fuilds.

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc