270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1829 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: DIY: 3rd gen shocks (rear) 2wd  (Read 1796 times)

Offline SH0K0TA

• "when in doubt... pinky out"
  • Service Manager
  • Awards:
    ContributorLay'n LowHigh Mile ClubEMT
DIY: 3rd gen shocks (rear) 2wd
« on: May 15, 2011, 07:38:04 pm »
Tools used:
(1) BFW
(1) 1/2in drive ratchet
(2) sockets Sized 15mm and 18mm
(1) jack
(??) choice beverages

since the rear of the truck is not as crammd at the front, there is no need to put the truck on jack stands, or remove the wheels. however, you may need to army crawl to get into position.

the bottom (axle side) of the shock has a bolt/nut combo that is 15mm/18mm respectfully. the top of the shock (frame side) is 15mm and the supporting nut has a tab that will rotate and rest against the frame. this means you only need to have a tool on that one side... although it will help if you can reach that tab, to hold it to the frame for a quicker bolt removal.

to get the bottom of the shock out, i used the BFW and ratchet like this

the wrench would rest against the floor so that made it easier. removing the bottom of the shock IMO makes it easier. once it is removed from the axle mount, the shock will return to full stroke and then can be moved around so you can remove the bolt at the top of the shock easier.

once the old shock is out, the new shock can be put in. i'd suggest installing the top bolt first, but not fully tightened. this will allow you to easily tell how much the shock has to compress until it can easily be put into the axle side mount.

i ended up needing to jack up each side of the truck independant of eachother. (one side at a time) to allow for better alignment. once the bolt was it, i fully tightened the nut/bolt combo like this

once the bottom of the shock is fully tightened, go back to the top bolt and fully tighten that one.

after crawling out from under the truck and some cleanup... you'll be done.

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc