270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1829 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: 1977 Jamboree Tranny Mystery  (Read 1436 times)

Offline onehuman

• Awards:
1977 Jamboree Tranny Mystery
« on: May 08, 2012, 04:12:48 am »
First post, writing from Vancouver BC Canada.

I've searched about this problem for hours,  have spoken to the Carter Dodge dudes, and don't tell me to RTFM because I can't find one. :)

Here's the problem: I bought a great running 1977 Dodge Jamboree RV and wanted to check the fluids. At first I couldn't find the tranny dipstick until I took off the doghouse. Then I was looking at something that seemed to be a curved turkey baster with wires coming out at the top. The top is more like a handle than a bulbous turkey baster thing. I pulled it out and at the end is a cap with slots in the side but no markings telling you what the level is.

Apparently the 77 and 76 came with an idiot light for the tranny so they do not have a dipstick for a manual check. Problem is, there is no idiot light on the dash that I can see.

Also, no one at the Dodge dealership or any of our parts places can tell me how to check the levels manually. All I want to do is check the levels, for obvious reasons. Any advice?

The only Idea I had was to drain it, refill it at suggested level and than make my own dip stick by inserting it in when cold and mark the level on whatever I come up with as a stick. Possible? I hope there is an easier or at least more precise way to do this than my idea.

A mechanic at the local Canadian Tire said I should come here. Something about Mopar people being something something about this kind of stuff.

1977 Dodge Jamboree. 360 engine but no idea what the tranny is but I believe it's the original one.

I will provide more info or pics if needed.

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc