270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1830 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: DIY: AEM A/F ratio Gauge and AEM Boost Gauge Install  (Read 2689 times)

Offline SH0K0TA

• "when in doubt... pinky out"
  • Service Manager
  • Awards:
    ContributorLay'n LowHigh Mile ClubEMT
DIY: AEM A/F ratio Gauge and AEM Boost Gauge Install
« on: October 17, 2012, 12:27:36 am »
I ended up finally getting around to installing the gauges on the truck  :fart:

*It is recommended that you disconnect your battery before doing anything else*

-Secondary note- this install was with the factory Y pipe in place with the cats. since the silver truck has 4 oxygen sensors, i went ahead and installed sims on the two post cat sensors. i installed the AEM sensor on the passenger side. they have WAY more than enough wire to reach around these dakotas.

The kit included everything. two harnesses (one for sensor, one for power, ground and output wires), the sensor, a weld in bung for the sensor. so it was VERY easy to install. worst part was finding out how i wanted to run the wires.

Boost stuff on left, A/F on right

Here is the only harness that you really have to do anything with. Red is power, Black is ground, White is the output for a standalone or datalogger, blue is a backup for the white. (this is the same for boost and A/F)

A/F Specific
View from passenger wheel well

Boost Specific
here is where i installed the supplied vac line. it comes directly off the manifold and i figured it would supply the best reading. the instructions say to add a zip tie for safety measure

here is the reader for the boost gauge- a hose nipple came with the kit, so i put some thread sealer on there to prevent any leakage. zip tie added per instructions

After this was all together... i ran the vac hose thru the manifold to the driver side to keep the A/F and boost harnesses in close proximity.

Same for both
I ran the wire across the engine bay next to the firewall, then brought it on the inside of the fender, and into the cab via an unused hole with a grommet in it.

from there, i had to tear down the dash. the drivers side door sill plate, the kick panel, the fuse cover, the plastic part above the drivers knees, just under the steering wheel, the factory gauge surround, and the bottom dash plastic panel under the radio.

i have the gauges fishing up to the top of the steering column, on the left side i ran the gauge sensors... on the passenger side, i ran the power, ground and output wires. this allows the gauge pod to sit level. *the wires for this install have red zip ties around them*

I tapped into a cigarette lighter to have the gauges come on with the key, to do this, i pulled back some insulation and soldered the wires together.

after the pic, i tested to make sure the solders were good... and they were  :up:  once i knew they were good, i electrical taped them up and made sure they weren't gonna hurt anything.

after that, just put the dash back together and enjoy the new gauges!
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 12:38:29 am by SH0K0TA »

Offline SH0K0TA

• "when in doubt... pinky out"
  • Service Manager
  • Awards:
    ContributorLay'n LowHigh Mile ClubEMT
Re: DIY: AEM A/F ratio Gauge and AEM Boost Gauge Install
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 12:40:04 am »
Here's a video of the gauges turning on with the key after install.

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc