270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1830 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: Whats to do next?  (Read 3823 times)

Offline Cumminalong

• Master of Destruction - Breaker of performance parts
  • Official DOF Vendor
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • The BOMB'r
  • Awards:
    1100ROTYMember of the Year1 Tech
Re: Whats to do next?
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2010, 12:56:24 pm »
?

Really not much I can do with that Edge. For it to be of any use to me, I'd only be giving you half what it's worth.....that's just the nature of trade-ins. That's why I always tell folks, "GET THE RIGHT PART THE FIRST TIME!" It's cheaper in the long run.

Best bet would be to e-bay it and get some money for it, if you want to go that route.

And let me say this.........I don't do cheap.

Cheap causes us headaches.

Cheap causes people to come back and go, "This is F'd up, you need to fix it."

There are certain brands I simply won't advertise or sell unless someone specifically asks for them, because they cause me butt pain when the parts don't fit right, don't work right, or the customer service sucks.

If there is a specific set you're looking for, then I'll give you the best price I can while abiding by the manufacturers pricing policies.

I had a guy that wanted a set of gauges, I gave him a price on Isspro's, Autometers, and Dip's.....he found a set of those Glow Shifts for like $200. Asked how much to install them, I told him $150. He got pissed because he only spent $200 on the gauges. He was then told that regardless of what he spent on the them, it's still 3 - 4 hours of my time to install them.

Had he bought them through me, that install would have been $50. So, did he actually get "cheap", that's a matter of perspective.

Offline noplugs

• Kung Fu Panda! - closeted conservative
  • Administrator
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • This thing has 4 wheel drive?
  • Awards:
    600 HPShade TreeDistinguishedApril ROTMDonor
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2010, 02:26:30 pm »
?

I had a guy that wanted a set of gauges, I gave him a price on Isspro's, Autometers, and Dip's.....he found a set of those Glow Shifts for like $200. Asked how much to install them, I told him $150. He got pissed because he only spent $200 on the gauges. He was then told that regardless of what he spent on the them, it's still 3 - 4 hours of my time to install them.

Had he bought them through me, that install would have been $50. So, did he actually get "cheap", that's a matter of perspective.

And thats exactly why I said
 "If you get it off ebay, don't expect someone to help you fix it or install it for free. Support the businesses you may need help from."
 :up:
659 HP/1287 TQ -- She's BACK!  Yeah,,, nope she's not stock..

Doghouse Diesel Performance rocks

Nothing is exactly as it seems,nor is it otherwise

Offline Cumminalong

• Official DOF Vendor
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • The BOMB'r
  • Awards:
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2010, 02:35:24 pm »
Tom and I both have the same mentality when it comes to a build......WE'RE NOT DOING CHEAP OR HALF-ASS. Tom told a guy the other day to come get his stuff because he wanted to half-ass it and use some questionable parts. It's simply not worth our time.

You always get folks that want to re-use parts, get some used stuff of e-bay, do the bare minimum, etc. That's cool, but don't bring it to us.

It's those same folks that take the vehicle to the track, throw a 300 shot of nitrous at it and wonder why they grenaded the trans that they though they could by on with nothing more than a TC and a VB.

Then they come back an go, "You guys can build worth a crap!" and want to bad mouth folks to their buddies like it wasn't them that did anything wrong.

That's why when folks as me for cheap, I rarely respond to it. It sends me out on a wild goose chase and causes us pain in the end.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 02:37:53 pm by Cumminalong »

Offline Methos

• Slowly going crazy....
  • Administrator
  • NASCAR Crewmember
  • Awards:
    MOTY200K400 HPDonor
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2010, 02:39:45 pm »
Big difference between trying to save some money and being cheap about it.

Offline Cumminalong

• Official DOF Vendor
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • The BOMB'r
  • Awards:
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2010, 02:43:43 pm »
Big difference between trying to save some money and being cheap about it.

Exactly!

Sometimes a deal isn't a deal, know what I mean?

I can't tell you how many phones calls I get from folks that bought something off of e-bay and it's not complete or it's the wrong thing.

When it's incomplete stuff and you give them a price for the individual components to make it right, many times it comes out to be more than a new one.

I've had guys call up that bought a FASS that was on a Duramax and wonder why it wasn't working right on his truck. Well, for one the wiring harness is totally different and two, the pumps for the Duramax are only set at 7 - 8 psi, not the 15 - 17 for the Cummins.

Then they wanna yell at me for telling them what's wrong and what it costs to make it right.

There's 3 things you can have.......power, reliability and cheap. You only get 2 of them at any one time.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 02:57:37 pm by Cumminalong »

Offline noplugs

• Kung Fu Panda! - closeted conservative
  • Administrator
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • This thing has 4 wheel drive?
  • Awards:
    600 HPShade TreeDistinguishedApril ROTMDonor
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2010, 02:53:40 pm »
Funny you should mention transmission. Looks like I'll have to wait another week to get mine finished. I have the option of going with a "standard" billet input shaft but I want the better one and there are none to be found right now.   :baby:  If you want it done right sometimes you also have to put up with a wait too. Oh well, it will be worth it in the end.
659 HP/1287 TQ -- She's BACK!  Yeah,,, nope she's not stock..

Doghouse Diesel Performance rocks

Nothing is exactly as it seems,nor is it otherwise

Offline RAGINRAM

• Oil Changer
  • MINIRIG
  • Awards:
    200kDonorUS Army
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2010, 08:41:55 pm »
Okay, well just let me say that when I say cheap I dont mean freakin Kmart brand, I just dont make 50,000 a month and would like to be able to budget a little bit, and I am definateley not a guy to want cheap parts when were speaking about quality no way not ever just want the best deal does that sound better? Man I say cheap and BAM its on, my bad not what I meant, I still want good stuff just want to be money cognisant.  And with the trani Someone is gonna have to help me clarify with the ats there is no difference in the interior of the trani with the stages, other than the shafts, and I should be good with the Input shaft without the flex plate up to 1000 ft/lbs.
2006 DODGE RAM 2500 165,000mi silencer ring removed, fabricated 4 inch cold air intake, fabricated intake manifold, muffler delete kit, edge hot juice w/attitude , mystery switch, ATS Built 48-RE Auto Trans,ATS 5 Star Viskus Clutch Drive Torque Converter, ATS Extra Deep Transmission Pan, ATS Billet Input Shaft,adjustable valve body assistant. Mechanical boost gauge max 60lbs. Air Dog II 165, Boost cooler.........

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc