270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1829 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: LED Dash Install 3rd Gen  (Read 11806 times)

Offline 04cumminsram

• Official DOF Vendor
  • NASCAR Crewmember
  • U.S Army Vet 2000-2008
  • Awards:
    600 HPTech CertifiedROTMHigh MileUS ArmyDonor
Re: LED Dash Install 3rd Gen
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2009, 04:26:58 am »
Steve those are killer!... I am thinkin im gonna keep mine as i have just sourced the factory 6 disk in dash changer for my truck so i can actaully go in and do those bulbs in the blacklight too!
Smokin Okie Diesel
Sales, Service, Installation and Support

Offline dragonslayer169

• Sr Technician
  • Awards:
    High MileDonor
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2009, 04:34:11 am »
Thanks.

That's cool. Be careful the deck as some of them are hardwired lights and if there is an LCD type display in it you won't be able to change how it is lit up.

I am going to try to find a way to change the ODO/trip and Gear selection display to be blue too. I think that one is going to take a little more work though as I can't change the lights with the fact that it is an LCD type display. I think if I can find some good transparent blue mylar, or something similar, I can overlay that with the display and turn it blue.

In my process of doing all of this I missed my liometer and homelink buttons so I will be doing those eventually as well. Once I have them done I will post up for those and get pictures of the process too.
:cnfg:
'03 2500 CTD HO Laramie QC SB, Edge Juice w/ Attitude, BD X-Intake, custom 4" TBE, 35x12.50R17 Nitto Trail Grappler M/T on 17x9 Cragar Soft 8s, Bilsteins all around, ProComp Dual Stabilizers w/ Bilsteins, Custom Diesel SBS, GlowShift 7 Series White guages (Boost, EGT, Trans)

Offline noplugs

• Kung Fu Panda! - closeted conservative
  • Administrator
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • This thing has 4 wheel drive?
  • Awards:
    600 HPShade TreeDistinguishedApril ROTMDonor
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2009, 05:14:11 am »
I think the easiest thing is going to be to find a piece of mylar to change the color of the OD.
659 HP/1287 TQ -- She's BACK!  Yeah,,, nope she's not stock..

Doghouse Diesel Performance rocks

Nothing is exactly as it seems,nor is it otherwise

Offline Batman

• Sr Technician
  • Awards:
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2009, 01:35:32 pm »
Changing the dash lights looks awesome.  Has anyone opened up a 2nd Gen dash to see what it'd take to change those lights?  Soldering LEDs/resistors to the cluster board doesn't like like too bad a job, I certainly had plenty of practice with board soldering at a former job making little test circuits of all sorts.
Big Truck: 98.5 24-valve CTD, 4x4, Auto, Quad-cab, Shortbed (Sold!  I will be finding another truck, this time it'll be a 12-valve with a 5-speed!)
Wife's Car: 2012 Charger 3.5L SXT Silver
My Car: 1996 BMW 328i convertible, 5-speed, Black
Little Truck: 1972 GMC K1500 V-eight, 4x4, Auto, Shortbed
Mileage maker: 1995 Maxima, 5-spd, Black
Wifey's Car: 2012 Charger SXT, Silver, V6

Offline dragonslayer169

• Sr Technician
  • Awards:
    High MileDonor
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2009, 05:33:36 am »
sorry batman, i haven't but i would imagine it would be quite similar to opening up other clusters. it was quite easy to do the soldering of the leds/resistors to the cluster, as long as you already know how to solder, you don't need to be supper precise as there is plenty of space. what took me the longest was just figuring out what side was positive and negative on the cluster as they aren't marked and incandescent bulbs it doesn't matter.
'03 2500 CTD HO Laramie QC SB, Edge Juice w/ Attitude, BD X-Intake, custom 4" TBE, 35x12.50R17 Nitto Trail Grappler M/T on 17x9 Cragar Soft 8s, Bilsteins all around, ProComp Dual Stabilizers w/ Bilsteins, Custom Diesel SBS, GlowShift 7 Series White guages (Boost, EGT, Trans)

Offline 04cumminsram

• Official DOF Vendor
  • NASCAR Crewmember
  • U.S Army Vet 2000-2008
  • Awards:
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2009, 04:38:37 am »
ok my phone took better pics of the color on the dash!

Smokin Okie Diesel

Offline dragonslayer169

• Sr Technician
  • Awards:
    High MileDonor
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2009, 10:08:58 pm »
I think the easiest thing is going to be to find a piece of mylar to change the color of the OD.

Do you know where to find this by chance? I have done all sorts of searches and can't find anything.

Changing the dash lights looks awesome.  Has anyone opened up a 2nd Gen dash to see what it'd take to change those lights?  Soldering LEDs/resistors to the cluster board doesn't like like too bad a job, I certainly had plenty of practice with board soldering at a former job making little test circuits of all sorts.

My brother has a second gen. When I get a chance I will see if he wants his changed and if he does, or if he lets me do it, I will change out his and do a DIY for it to ad to this one for those with 2nd gens.

Offline 04cumminsram

• Official DOF Vendor
  • NASCAR Crewmember
  • U.S Army Vet 2000-2008
  • Awards:
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2009, 12:49:36 am »
Smokin Okie Diesel

Offline dragonslayer169

• Sr Technician
  • Awards:
    High MileDonor
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2009, 09:49:37 am »
this is the cheapest man
http://www.adorama.com/searchsite/default.aspx?searchinfo=night%20blue

Cool, thanks I haven't been able to find anything but that should do nicely.

Offline dudley_spalding

• Awards:
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2011, 01:57:45 am »
Hey guys! Just bought myself an 04 ram 3500 and i wanna change some lights! I see that using a B8.5D for the dash lights is the way to go but what lights do i need for the HVAC lights? Is it the T1.5's? Please help!!Thanks

Offline lilfroger

• Administrator
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • Not a "god" ... I just talk a lot
  • Awards:
    ROTMDonorARMYMOTY
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2011, 02:45:45 am »
Read through this for the HVAC lights:

http://www.dodgeownerforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=11088.0

Mopar # for the HVAC is 05013815AA ... should help you find an aftermarket light :up:

Welcome btw :wave:
Install, Owners, & Service Manuals for many years & makes:
http://www.scribd.com/lilfroger

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc