270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1829 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: 99 Dodge Ram Speedometer quit  (Read 11335 times)

Offline lonelyroadrunner

• Just another day in paradise
  • Awards:
99 Dodge Ram Speedometer quit
« on: March 25, 2010, 06:15:04 pm »
I have a 99 Dodge Ram 2500 with Diesel & 5 Speed 4x4. I have always had a problem with the overhead console giving me a message as the compass, temp, mgp, etc goes off line so to speak. I had it into the local Dodge Dealerships and they worked on it numerous times but said I did not have a problem so gave up getting it fixed. NOW, the other day was driving down the hwy when my speedometer went to zero, at that same time the Brake Light & ABS light came on. Has anyone else had this problem? Do you know what it takes to fix it? I hate to take it into the dealer as it is an hours drive from here and they were not ever able to fix the overhead console problem after several trips down to them and even haveing to leave it with them a couple of times. They even replaced the overhead console once and it is still acting up and I have 133,000 miles on the truck. The first time it happened I only had a few miles on the truck. Seatbelt thing has happened several times through the years, Compass has quit several times through the years and disconnecting the battery has fixed both of these problems in the past but I would really like to figure all these probelems out. I would like to get the speedometer problem fixed first then work on things from there. I love my Dodge as I constantly make the other guys look bad when I am pulling a bigger load and walk by them going up a hill. Thanks for your help in advance. Thank You to everyone that replied. I went under the truck tonight and found the sensor on top of the rear diff. have ordered parts hope to have it fixed tomorrow. Again, Thank You to all you that sent a response. If you ever need info on a snowmobile... give me a shout. I have been riding for 47 yrs.  :up:
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 04:12:29 am by lonelyroadrunner »

Offline biged681985

• 2009 Fantasy NFL Champ
  • Shade Tree Certified
  • Service Manager
  • Awards:
    Shade Tree400HPDonorHighMileContributor
Re: 99 Dodge Ram Speedometer quit
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 06:18:08 pm »
the spped sensor on the back of the trans is where i would start looking. if it quits, it would throught the ABS light because the wheels are showing speed, and the computer is showing ur sitting still. not saying thats 100% what it is, just a suggestion. good luck figurein it out
2006 Ram 2500 - billet s467.7, colt stage 4 cam, 180% over ducky fuel injection injectors, fleece 10mm stroker pump, studs, built trans

Offline beachmstr

• Master Technician
  • Awards:
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 06:37:46 pm »
Sounds like a PITA.  Sorry man.

"Dodge the Father. Ram the Daughter"
2007 Dodge 2500 5.9L 4x4 Quad
6 speed - smarty - willy whistler - magnaflow muffler - cat MIA

Offline spencea15

• Shade Tree Certified
  • NASCAR Crewmember
  • Awards:
    DonorShade Tree Cert
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 06:48:51 pm »
I am  going to disagree.  I would start with the speed sensor on the rear diff since that is what your abs and speedo reads from.
2000 Dakota CC slt plus, v6 :( auto.

Offline ERT

• Tech Certified
  • Sr Technician
  • Awards:
    200KROTMTech Certified
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 07:44:36 pm »
I am  going to disagree.  I would start with the speed sensor on the rear diff since that is what your abs and speedo reads from.

^^ This ^^

:up:

Offline biged681985

• 2009 Fantasy NFL Champ
  • Shade Tree Certified
  • Service Manager
  • Awards:
    Shade Tree400HPDonorHighMileContributor
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 11:42:20 pm »
i thought it read from the back of the trans. my bad
2006 Ram 2500 - billet s467.7, colt stage 4 cam, 180% over ducky fuel injection injectors, fleece 10mm stroker pump, studs, built trans

Offline NickBeek

• Mechanical God!!!
  • Awards:
    Donor150k400 HPContributor
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2010, 12:14:13 am »
First welcome to the forum! :up:

I agree with spence and ERT, I also think the 2nd gens are know to have an issue with the ABS sensor on the rear diff.
2014 Ram 2500 Laramie, 4x4, 3.42 gears. Auto Trans, Crew cab, long bed. Window Visors, trifold bed cover.

Offline spencea15

• Shade Tree Certified
  • NASCAR Crewmember
  • Awards:
    DonorShade Tree Cert
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2010, 03:46:24 am »
First welcome to the forum! :up:

I agree with spence and ERT, I also think the 2nd gens are know to have an issue with the ABS sensor on the rear diff.

Nick i believe it uses the speed sensor at the abs too. 
2000 Dakota CC slt plus, v6 :( auto.

Offline BigRedFireTruck

• Master Technician
  • Laughing my Balls off
  • Awards:
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2010, 03:57:19 am »
its the Speed/abs sensor in the rear Diff. Check the wires also they can corrode and break.
thanks for joining our neck of the woods.. If you ever need anything Please just ask. Their is a lot of people here that know a lot about our  trucks....    Also if you need the part for it Shoot a Pm to Super Dave his user name is Parts/service. Pretty cool guy.  He helps us out with our factory parts...
Hope that helps
Tommy Pizzo
RED 2004.5 dodge Ram 3500 qc long bed CTD

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc