270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1829 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: Help With Codes And some help please so I dont get ripped off..  (Read 6904 times)

Offline GaryWV

• Gas Pumper
  • Awards:
Help With Codes And some help please so I dont get ripped off..
« on: February 11, 2011, 02:59:32 am »
Well Heading out to go check hunting cameras and set feed Sunday Morning and running about 45 -50 MPH the truck just sputters then shuts down, oh and the low fuel bell just went off like 3 miles back, So called a friend to bring fuel thinking out of fuel because of how it stopped. Nope didnt help , so cracked the line to the fuel filter to check for pump pressure, just a tiny squirt as soon as key is turned on. SO off to closest auto store, Had to get a lift pump , all they had was a Airtex lift pump that adapts to fit  the system. Then plenty of fuel pressure then the o-ring of the fuel filter split so back to the store,, FINALLY got all injector lines blead and motor started and sounded fine.Then  I took it easy for a day or so to make sure to get all of the air out of the lines but then noticed when accelerating like getting on hwy or into heavy traffic it is just real sluggish..So then yesterday (3 days after new pump) the check engine light comes on , I did the ignition key code grabber and got PCU 1693 , P0230 and P0237 So Fuel pump primary voltage circuit out of range and Turbo boost sensor low,MAP sensor low voltage.. :helpsmilie:
    I am wondering if the friend of mine( he is a marine diesel Mechanic so he knows diesel just not familiar with truck systems) when under the hood crawling around hit or pulled the wires on the map sensor so I am getting intermittent voltage or if the transfer pump is screwy, It had plenty of pressure when bleeding the lines and is only a 2 pole plug...And I hate to pay a shop 60 an hour to check a wire.. Anyone tried these Airtex  Transfer pumps (or even heard of them?) , it was like 170.00 bucks then 20 for a filter and gasket already and what gets me is the original fuel transfer pump is a nicely built vane pump in stainless and the only part that went bad on it is a little plastic piece that holds a flat shaft to then vane impeller, seems like if they where to put in a metal grooved shaft that the plastic would not just fall apart and leave you on the side of the road. I have read on here to get ready for a fuel lift pump at 100k Miles I got to 96K So Dodge owes me 4K worth of fuel pumping.. ::?:
    So am I on the right track in looking at the map sensor wiring and cleaning the map sensor, could that just be coincidence that the map goies out as soon as I put in  a new pump?
    And is there any where that will re-build or just send me the little plastic piece to get the old fuel lift pump back in shape? or is it worth it?
    I dont have any money at this time is one one the biggest killers for me now , I know a lot of people are having the same problems with money but I just dont want to start swapping parts as well..
   THanks For any info everyone
Gary
2001 2500 Cummins Turbo
6" Lift Kit
Custom Wheelchair Ramp

Offline Kilch123

• Mechanical God!!!
  • Thanks Pat and Adam!!!
  • Awards:
    DECEMBER ROTM 2011Mile High500 HPDistinguishedTech CertifiedDonorAir Force
Re: Help With Codes And some help please so I dont get ripped off..
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 03:21:53 am »
P1693-DTC DETECTED IN COMPANION MODULE is a trouble code in companion module (in my 99, clearing the low fuel pressure code in the transmission ecu cleared it)

P0230-TRANSFER PUMP CIRCUIT OUT OF RANGE - probably from when the old one took a dump - still in the memory

P0237-MAP SENSOR VOLTAGE TOO LOW - most likely, you guys wiggled the plug around on it enough, that now it's not making good contact.  get a can of brakecleaner (good) or electrical contact cleaner (better) and some electrical dielectric grease (like used on spark plug boots) - remove the plug and clean it really good - let it dry, grease it up and reconnect it.

See if that helps  :up:

***Currently at Smokin Okie Diesel - Enid OK***
99 3500QCLB 6x6 5 Speed - D Tech Twins,SB DD3600,Adrenaline/Pulse,Smarty,DDP 110's,Hamilton's,ARP Studs,Airdog,CFE+,Silverline4",Mag-Hytec F/R,Amsoil-B2B,Isspro Performax Boost/EGT & Fuel-pillar mount,2Low Mod,BD SBS and Short Shifter, All LED

516/1127     9/18/09
14.788/93.78  8/8/09

If You Are Not Willing To Stand Behind Our Troops, Please Feel Free To Stand In Front Of Them!

Offline GaryWV

• Gas Pumper
  • Awards:
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 03:27:32 am »
Man That Was fast Kilch ,
   I will check that out tommorrow and see if that will get rid of the codes , THe shop cleared the codes once today when I first went there but then the light came back with all of those codes on it..
  BUt I will try to get the voltage and map plug cleaned out and re-set the comp on the truck and see if that works ,
THanks Again
Gary
2001 2500 Cummins Turbo
6" Lift Kit
Custom Wheelchair Ramp

Offline Kilch123

• Mechanical God!!!
  • Thanks Pat and Adam!!!
  • Awards:
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 03:29:45 am »
If all of them came back, that pump may be pulling too much power

try installing a relay to lessen the load - that power comes right out of the ECM

let me know if you need help with the wire diagram for a relay (it's really pretty easy)
99 3500QCLB 6x6 5 Speed - D Tech Twins,SB DD3600,Adrenaline/Pulse,Smarty,DDP 110's,Hamilton's,ARP Studs,Airdog,CFE+,Silverline4",Mag-Hytec F/R,Amsoil-B2B,Isspro Performax Boost/EGT & Fuel-pillar mount,2Low Mod,BD SBS and Short Shifter, All LED

516/1127     9/18/09
14.788/93.78  8/8/09

If You Are Not Willing To Stand Behind Our Troops, Please Feel Free To Stand In Front Of Them!

Offline GaryWV

• Gas Pumper
  • Awards:
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 05:44:12 pm »
Well , My brother is going to come by sometime today or tommorrow to get under the hood and check the connection for the MAP sensor. And will disconnecting the battery wipe out the codes or will I need to take it somewhere that has a plug in comp to clear the codes?
  I just cant figure why since the turbo is a manual part of the motor and is fead by the exhaust, why I am getting a 3 second delay for the turbo boost to kick in...  Does the ecu or ecm control the total output of the injectors so that is slowing down the turbo from kicking in?
   I am trying to learn about the deisel and comp controls  is why I am asking. I spoke to the marine diesel mechanic yesterday and he is just under the understanding that it is a manual system So the turbo should kick right in it must be something else. But I am asumming Marine 12 cyl engines are a bit different in the computer control for contant torque and all the other things that go on with a truck engine other than a basic marine engine. I just dont want to argue with him because he was so helpful to come out and change the lift pump on superbowl sunday and get all fuelled up to help me but now he just wants me to take it to a dealer..
   So if someone could direct me in the right direction to get some of the basic operation of how the diesel turbo fuel system works I would be greatful.I am not saying it is not the map sensor because I cant get under there to try that fix but my brother will be over , I always want to know why something works or does not work in this type of situation..
  Thanks
Gary
2001 2500 Cummins Turbo
6" Lift Kit
Custom Wheelchair Ramp

Offline GaryWV

• Gas Pumper
  • Awards:
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 10:07:27 pm »
OK , Brother has not showed up so I pulled the fender cover off and can see the MAP sensor plug so I cant reach it but can see it, Went to local auto supply picked up a few things and had them erase the codes in the ecm. But by his code reader ( little hand held) he shows all 3 codes that I had to start then I asked him to erase them. So he erases them a few times but now only P0237 comes up on him reader. The P1693 and P0230 do not show up , BUT when I did the key on off 3 time code getter on the trip odometer all 3 of the same codes are there.SO I guess my plan is when my brother shows up tommorrow we can check all of the wiring to the map sensor, the plug looked clean and seemed to have good connection when I got the auto parts guy to uplug and re -plug the connector, but the plug was not stuck on and the gasket looked great and snapped right back on nice and tight.........So I am wondering if I need to replace the Map sensor ?  It is just strange that code popped up just a day after the lift pump changed and the auto stores reader only shows one code now just the P0237 :scratch: but my key code grabber shows all three..
  And is it worth trying to pull out the MAP sensor and cleaning it to see if some crap got in it after we changed the pump and had to prime and crank the engine so long to prime it up . Could something have broke loose and clogged the sensor?
   And still have slow to no boost.... I do need to get up some money for a set of guages...... :up:
Thanks
Gary
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 11:29:37 pm by GaryWV »
2001 2500 Cummins Turbo
6" Lift Kit
Custom Wheelchair Ramp

Offline Kilch123

• Mechanical God!!!
  • Thanks Pat and Adam!!!
  • Awards:
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 04:20:38 am »
Gary - the "How a Turbo-Diesel works" topic is a rather large one.

THis will help a little:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbodiesel

As far as your issue - if the computer isn't getting the correct MAP sensor signal, it will limit fuel delivery to not allow the turbo to spool up - you'll likely not see any more than 5 PSI of boost, if that much...

The MAP sensor is quite expensive (much cheaper from a Cummins dealer than a Dodge dealer) - but it may not be bad - there are tests to perform to verify it's bad (don't know your expertise level, or your tools)

The tests likely require removing the sensor, and checking the terminals on it with a Volt/Ohm meter - is this something you would be comfortable with?

516/1127     9/18/09
14.788/93.78  8/8/09

Offline GaryWV

• Gas Pumper
  • Awards:
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2011, 04:33:45 pm »
No problem with the ohm readings and tech stuff , just the standing up part gets in my way.. But I will need to find the ranges in a manual to check  out the sensor.
 And I didnt think about trying to find a cummins dealer I will nead to check that out too.
The local NAPA has 2 different ones , and when the guy pulled the plug off for me the other day I did not think to look for pin position one has 3 pins in line for 125.00 and the other is 3 pins staggered for 190.00 but the description does not tell the difference. I Think by seeing the sensor that it is 3 in line because the outer part of the plug is oval not rounded like the staggerd one..And I think I do have a O-2 sensor socket to take that off as well  but it does look like it might be able to be reached with a box end if need be. I am going to pull the manual up to see if there is a check procedure on the MAP sensor..
Well after looking at the Haynes manual I think that I was checking the IAT sensor not the MAP ,,, argue looks like the 190.00 sensor from napa.If it is bad I am looking at the test procedures now for it..
THanks For the help Kilch
Gary
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 04:46:36 pm by GaryWV »
2001 2500 Cummins Turbo
6" Lift Kit
Custom Wheelchair Ramp

Offline GaryWV

• Gas Pumper
  • Awards:
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2011, 06:28:58 pm »
Well Kilch,
   I got to checking I pulled the wheel well cover out AGAIN and verified the plug that I was looking at was the right one, I was questioning myself (I am an OLD 51 yr old guy) so memory is sinking , but I did have him check the right plug it was not corroded or anything but did not check the voltages either, but the end of the sensor looks longer oval with 3 wires and not round like the picture in the haynes manual. ::?: by the plug it looks like it would have the 3 pins in a row not the staggared 3 pin round connector?And there are 2 different ones shown on the NAPA website the staggered pin sensor is 209.00  :eek: and the 3 in line is 124.00 big difference but I am still having a problem getting someone to come over to get under the hood and pull a few plugs so I can check the values on the sensor, so if I cant get it done I just remembered there is a truck service and dealer next to where i get my welding supplies and metals and I sent a friend there for some work on his motorhome and they did a great job and they where half of what we expected , so thanks again Kilch for kicking me in the head by saying check for a Cummins dealer.. They are only 10 miles up the road and I am taking it there in the morning I guess, They do mostly all big stuff 18 wheelers dumptrucks  loaders and commercial stuff as well as motorhomes and trucks so If I can't get my brother over today I am heading there when I wake up in the morning....
   Sorry long post (again) But I get that way when I find that I can do something so simple myself , its times like this that being in a wheelchair sucks , Sorry not trying to bring anyone down its just reality to me that I know I can take and weld up a smalll tuna tower for a boat or even build a CNC router to cut out a dashboard for a 100 foot Yacht and add led lighting behind it , but I cant reach another  2 foot to change out or check voltage on a MAP sensor.... :censored:
   Sorry for the rant.But thanks for all of the help here..
Thanks Kilch
Gary
2001 2500 Cummins Turbo
6" Lift Kit
Custom Wheelchair Ramp

Offline Kilch123

• Mechanical God!!!
  • Thanks Pat and Adam!!!
  • Awards:
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2011, 08:33:02 pm »
Gary - anytime  :up:

It's likely you have the oval shaped sensor (the round sensor was for 99-00 only, I think)

I think I got a sensor for JustViper1 at the cummins dealer for like $84 (he has an 01)

I'll look up the specs on that sensor for ya and post them here, so you can take it to the shop with ya...

OK - no specs on ohms readings for the sensor - got you some info though - location and wiring info
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 08:40:46 pm by Kilch123 »

516/1127     9/18/09
14.788/93.78  8/8/09

Offline GaryWV

• Gas Pumper
  • Awards:
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2011, 08:42:31 pm »
Thanks Kilch,
   From what I can see through the fender well it it the oval ended sensor. So it should be the less expensive from the store. I am going to the truck dealer in the morning and let them run it through and see what they come up with. but pretty sure it could be the MAP sensor by the way it is going now..
   Thanks again for all the help Kilch
Gary
2001 2500 Cummins Turbo
6" Lift Kit
Custom Wheelchair Ramp

Offline GaryWV

• Gas Pumper
  • Awards:
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2011, 05:16:31 pm »
Well no luck at the cummins dealer , they did not even show the part on their computer for some reason , They said it was probably added by Dodge,so that was a wasted 40 miles round trip . Then I figured I would just stop at NAPA and itis 175 and not in stock has to be shipped in.. I will call them later on if I cant find it online somewhere...
Gary
2001 2500 Cummins Turbo
6" Lift Kit
Custom Wheelchair Ramp

Offline GaryWV

• Gas Pumper
  • Awards:
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2011, 08:19:38 pm »
OK now its getting interesting,, cant find the  part all places need to order, and the dealers have them BUT they are a differnt part # that I have to get a 254.00 sensor and a 54.00 wire connector for too but they have those in stock.. The 2 dealers I spoke to didnt know much one guy said there are 2 different sensors 1 MAP sensor and 1 Turbo pressure sensor and a wireing harness that needs to be changed,, and the other  says it is 1 sensor but act as the 2 .they do not know why it is not just the original MAP sensor by itself..But I can order 1 from napa for 175.00 and take a few days to get in...So looks like that is the way I am going to have to go because I cant even find one at the junk yard at this point.. Even the Cummins dealer could not find the part # they said it was a dodge part because it did not show on his computer...
  This is fun   :suicide:
Gary
2001 2500 Cummins Turbo
6" Lift Kit
Custom Wheelchair Ramp

Offline Kilch123

• Mechanical God!!!
  • Thanks Pat and Adam!!!
  • Awards:
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2011, 02:31:54 am »
Gary - if you can get somebody to get me the serial number off your engine, I can look up the cummins part number, and then the search will be by the phone, not driving around...

The serial number will be on the drivers side of the engine, on the side of the timing cover - it's an 8 digit number.

I can look up the part number, and either me or Rich can get it ordered and shipped right to you...

516/1127     9/18/09
14.788/93.78  8/8/09

Offline GaryWV

• Gas Pumper
  • Awards:
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2011, 04:21:46 pm »
Thanks Kilch,
  the number is 56749809 ,   and I just got back from the mechanic and just so happens the internet in his shop has been down for a few days and we cant get the specs for the pin voltages to test the plug coming from the ECM ,, so he is going to call me when he gets the values for that model , And when testing pin voltages per the other round style of sensor that calls for 5 volts , we are only getting micro volts from the ECM now with the key so it might not be the MAP sensor now,,,,So just waiting for info from the mechanic now..He is getting info now and I am heading over there in an hour to finish checking out stuff.

Thanks
Gary
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 04:35:11 pm by GaryWV »
2001 2500 Cummins Turbo
6" Lift Kit
Custom Wheelchair Ramp

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc