270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1830 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: White scum and gas smell in oil filler cap?  (Read 2905 times)

Offline SilverC

• Technician
  • Awards:
White scum and gas smell in oil filler cap?
« on: January 10, 2013, 12:37:18 am »
I have a friend with a 2002 Ram 1500, 4.7L gasoline.  He has a white "scum" or heavy film in the oil filler tube and a gasoline smell in the tube/cap.  Truck runs/idles fine and does not have signs of any smoke.  No oil loss between changes @ 3,000 mi.  Radiator fluid seaps low, in time, but none is found outside of the engine.  Is it possible a PVC valve gone bad not allowing condensation to leave the engine?  How would gasoline smell get in the cap/tube?  My first guess is blown head gasket but there are no bubbles in the oil on the dip stick.

This question is above my grade!
2003 2500 CTD 4X4 Quadcab Laramie, 6 speed, Rancher Grill Guard, Luverne side-bars, B&W Hitch, Flaps, Dynatrac ball joints, One-Piece drive shaft, Bilstein shocks, FASS Titanium fuel system.

Offline jcodner

• Oil Changer
  • Awards:
Re: White scum and gas smell in oil filler cap?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 12:52:02 am »
it sounds to me the head gasket too another way to check sometimes when you take the rad cap off and start it when it is cold you will see the coolant bubbling right off the bat
Jordon
04.5 2500, S&B Intake, Magnaflow exhaust, Cortex programmer, silencer ring MIA, 08.5 steering upgrade,  more to come wit time hopefully

Offline NickBeek

• Mechanical God!!!
  • Awards:
    Donor150k400 HPContributor
White scum and gas smell in oil filler cap?
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 01:08:52 am »
That coolant is getting into the engine somewhere.
2014 Ram 2500 Laramie, 4x4, 3.42 gears. Auto Trans, Crew cab, long bed. Window Visors, trifold bed cover.

Offline kenz

• Michigan Historian
  • Sportsman Moderator
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • Coming to a state near you
  • Awards:
    100KContributing MemberDonor
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 01:20:53 am »
How often does he drive it? Does he do alot of short trips? Reason I ask is that it may be due to condensation. Engine doesn't get hot enough, long enough to burn off the moisture from condensation. My mother's car did this. White slime on the radiator cap. Thought for sure a gasket was bad, but car never lost more than a quart or so of anti-freeze a year. Not saying it can't be a head gasket, but just another idea thrown in the fire.

2005 QC Dually 2wd CTD 6-spd. SRT-6, AEM Brute Force intake, Smarty Sr., D.O.F. shift knob, 5" to dual side exit 4" exhaust, Quad Scout, road kill kat, 2011 Coachmen North Ridge fifth wheel

I MAY BE OLD, BUT I GOT TO SEE ALL THE GOOD BANDS.....

Offline SilverC

• Technician
  • Awards:
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 01:56:05 am »
I do not know the distance he generally drives so as to warm the engine to burn off the condensation.  He does drive it 5-6 mi. (one way) to/from work daily.  Other than that, I'll check.  I'll also have him check the "bubbling radiator."  I'm afraid its either a gasket or a crack because my opinion is that the water is getting into the oil somehow   ::?:  Too much white scum in the tube/cap!
2003 2500 CTD 4X4 Quadcab Laramie, 6 speed, Rancher Grill Guard, Luverne side-bars, B&W Hitch, Flaps, Dynatrac ball joints, One-Piece drive shaft, Bilstein shocks, FASS Titanium fuel system.

Offline ERT

• Tech Certified
  • Sr Technician
  • Awards:
    200KROTMTech Certified
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 03:05:02 am »
Everybody calm down!  :taz:
 :lol:
What you're describing is perfectly normal on ALL early 4.7L's. Kenz is correct, it's from condensation. They make a little plastic insert for the filler neck that helps keep it to a minimum so people don't freak out. There's nothing wrong with anything... at least that is causing this concern   ;)

:cheers:

Offline SilverC

• Technician
  • Awards:
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 02:42:03 pm »
Cool, where can I get a "little plastic insert" (dealer only or parts store?) and does it have a specific name?

Offline ERT

• Tech Certified
  • Sr Technician
  • Awards:
    200KROTMTech Certified

Offline SilverC

• Technician
  • Awards:
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2013, 05:55:51 am »
Thanks everybody.  i found out today that he has lost about 1 quart of radiator fluid in the last 1500 mi (since oil change).  Oooops, head gasket leak and not condensation.  I thought there was an awful lot of scum for condensation.

Offline ERT

• Tech Certified
  • Sr Technician
  • Awards:
    200KROTMTech Certified
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2013, 02:16:40 pm »
  Oooops, head gasket leak and not condensation.  I thought there was an awful lot of scum for condensation.

::?:

I seriously doubt it. If it was a head gasket you would see it in ALL the oil, not just in the fill cap area. I would install that kit that I posted the link to before tearing into a HG job. Not saying that it couldn't be, but it is very uncommon for a HG leak on the 4.7L. There can be a lot of scum in that area, that is not uncommon. Do google search, you'll find a lot of others with the same issue....

:cents:
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 02:18:59 pm by ERT »

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc