Dodge Trucks > 5.9L Tech

Jake Brake

<< < (9/16) > >>

lilfroger:
I've received the same few questions from a bunch of different people about my Jacob Exhaust Brake.  So I figured I'd open this back up and put some more good information in here for future reference.

The Jacobs Brake can be purchased through Cummins, Dodge or directly with Jacob Brake:
The following model years are available through
Dodge dealers and Cummins Distributors
Dodge: 1998.5–2002; 2004.5-2006
Cummins: 1989-2006
OEM                            Engine Application    Brake Model    Product Name
Dodge-Cummins       
                                        B5.9 Dodge Ram    TMVO 1989-1998    Jacobs Exhaust Brake®
                                      ISB Dodge Ram    TMVO ‘98.5-’02    Jacobs Exhaust Brake®
                                        ISB Dodge Ram    TMVO ‘03-’04            Jacobs Exhaust Brake®
                                        ISB Dodge Ram    TMVO ‘04.5-’06    Jacobs Exhaust Brake®

Operation:
The Jacobs Brake is turned on via a plunger style switch.  It is shaped to be mounted on the gear selector in the automatic vehicles. With the plunger out it's on, in it's off.

When off the Jacobs Brake will not engage under any condition.

When on there are two normal operation conditions:
If the vehicle is not up to normal operating temperature (apx 185) the brake will engage any time the vehicle is over 20-25 mph and the throttle is not engaged.
It will also activate when the vehicle is stopped (vehicle brakes applied).  This reduces the amount of time taken for the vehicle to reach normal operating temperatures (very VERY helpful in the winters!)

If the vehicle is up to normal operating temperature the brake will engage any time the vehicle is over 20-25 mph and the throttle is not engaged. 

Good things to know:
-Between 20 & 25 mph (mine is right about 22mph but I know my speedo is off a bit) the brake will disengage.
-Because the Jacob Brake connects to the vehicles ECM it will lock and unlock the torque converter along with controlling down and up shifting. (I would highly recommend a double-disk (at least) torque converter; I am pretty confident my Jacobs Brake lead to the early death of my TC.)
-The Jacobs Brake comes pre-drilled and tapped for a EGT probe.  Monitoring post turbo EGT's will allow you to protect your Jacobs Brake.

mayfair:

--- Quote from: lilfroger on October 28, 2009, 09:49:55 pm ---
the brake will engage any time the vehicle is over 20-25 mph and the throttle is not engaged. 

--- End quote ---

Does this mean that it only slows you down to 20-25mph and then shuts off?

mayfair:

--- Quote from: lilfroger on October 28, 2009, 09:49:55 pm ---
The Jacobs Brake can be purchased through Cummins, Dodge or directly with Jacob Brake:

The following model years are available through
Dodge dealers and Cummins Distributors
Dodge: 1998.5–2002; 2004.5-2006

--- End quote ---

Is this also a Doghouse item?

:43:

lilfroger:
Yes Donny.

When at speed and I remove my foot from the accelerator the brake will engage.  When the vehicle speed reaches 20 ~ 25 MPH it shuts off. The vehicle brakes are then all that is bringing it to a stop.

It has to do with it locking up the TC.  If it stayed locked the truck would stall.

The fun part is finding the 'coast' spot.  If I aalllmost press the accelerator I can keep the Jake from engaging but still allow the truck to coast. Or I could just reach up and turn it off if I really want to coast with out it coming on. :up:

mayfair:

--- Quote from: lilfroger on October 28, 2009, 10:29:33 pm ---
 Or I could just reach up and turn it off if I really want to coast with out it coming on. :up:

--- End quote ---

I was just thinking about that.

I think I'd put the rocker switch on the front of the center console so that I could turn it on or off without having to lift my arm.

How's that for lazy?

:43:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version