270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1830 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: Smoke Switch - 3rd Gen CTD  (Read 9278 times)

Offline Cumminalong

• Master of Destruction - Breaker of performance parts
  • Official DOF Vendor
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • The BOMB'r
  • Awards:
    1100ROTYMember of the Year1 Tech
Smoke Switch - 3rd Gen CTD
« on: December 31, 2008, 03:02:13 pm »
Okay, while this is not a mod I'm going to do on my truck, I've heard it asked and here is how you do it.

WARNING: You need to have gauges BEFORE you do this, your EGT's will come up fast under low boost conditions.

All you have to do is splice into your MAP sensor.

Basically the map sensor senses how much manifold pressure is in the engine and puts fuel in accordingly. The sensor line is fed by a 5 volt line and the more pressure in the manifold the more voltage is pushed down the signal line, so when you install the switch, you are pushing maximum voltage or a full pressure signal to the computer, dumping extra fuel in until the turbo gets up to speed.

For the 4-pin connector, you only need two wires. If you look at the map sensor plugged in, facing the cab, you want the two wires on the right. The colors vary from year to year, but the two on the right (as you face the cab) are what you need.

Put a line splice on both lines and just wire up to a toggle switch that has on/off capabilities and you are done. Yes, the MIL will always stay on because the sensor is getting full voltage and the truck doesnt like that.

Once the switch is turned off, it takes 3 - 4 cycles for the MIL light to go off, unless you have a programmer to clear it, but you will cause the light to come on.

You better have gauges because if used improperly, your EGT's will skyrocket.

Also, be careful where you use this. Doing it on the street and pissing people off only makes it bad for all of us.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 03:14:11 pm by Cumminalong »

Offline 1995DodgeRam1500

• Master Technician
  • Are you being served?
  • Awards:
    DonorNavy
Re: Smoke Switch - 3rd Gen CTD
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 03:38:28 pm »
I have to ask Rich, because I know you never roll the coal. And of course I know you would never bury someone in smoke even if they really ticked you off.  Why don't you have an interest in doing this mod?  It sonds like a fairly safe thing to do especially if you use a switch that only turns it on when you push the switch down.
Slàinte

Ian

Offline Cumminalong

• Official DOF Vendor
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • The BOMB'r
  • Awards:
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2008, 03:43:56 pm »
Quite honestly, as much crap as I talk about dumping on people, I TRY to keep the smoke to a minimum during normal driving.

MY goal for MY truck was smoke under low boost conditions that tapers off to a light haze at WOT.

The only time I REALLY like rollin' the coal is if someone pisses me off and then I can pretty much do it on demand anyways. Just lug the engine a bit, hit the Mystery Switch to lock the TC and put it to the floor. Day turns to night.

My smoke switch is the skinny vertical pedal on the the right.

Doing it too often REALLY cruds up the injector nozzles. Then you either need to pull them and clean them or get a trailer that is close to max weight and run the dog snot out of the truck to get the boost and EGT's up for a while and burn that crap off.

On my way home from Dave's yesteday, I deliberately ran the whole way back at 85 MPH (max cruise control speed). Had the boost at 20 psi and EGT's around 800. Just to clean some of the garbage out. I just cleaned my injectors when I pulled them to do the valve springs, so that wasn't the goal. Burning some of the crud off of the valves, piston top, turbine vanes was where I was going with it.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 03:48:26 pm by Cumminalong »

Offline Mitch

• Mechanical God!!!
  • Awards:
    500ROTMDonorContributorArmy
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 11:21:30 pm »
That is how I solved my exhaust brake problem. I drove the snot out of it, got the EGT's up and no more turbo problems.
2022 2500 Laramie CCLB, 6.7 CTD, stock
57 Chevy 3200 pickup, 12V swap
1985 Jeep CJ10A former Tug- Dana 60, 6cyl Nissan diesel
2020 Mahindra Roxor, Dana 60s F/R, Ag tires

Offline Cumminalong

• Official DOF Vendor
  • Mechanical God!!!
  • The BOMB'r
  • Awards:
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 03:08:19 am »
Here's a small addition for those that are running a boost fooler or stand alone box.

You must bypass those devices and send a signal strait to the ECM from the MAP.

Otherwise, you're fooling device actually LOWERS the signal to the ECM and this defeats the purpose of the switch.

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc