270799 Posts in 19739 Topics - by 1829 Members - Latest Member: Simplesimon

Hello Guest
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Author Topic: Engine temps in cold weather  (Read 1461 times)

Offline NickBeek

• Mechanical God!!!
  • Awards:
    Donor150k400 HPContributor
Engine temps in cold weather
« on: November 27, 2013, 02:03:36 am »
We took the GC to NJ last weekend to attend a wedding. When we left NJ at 0400 yesterday morning the air temp was about 22 degrees. I let the van idle while we were loading up the luggage and the temp gauge started climbing as expected. Once we got on the highway and reached cruising speed of 70 mph I noticed the temperature gauge had not risen much more. I changed the EVIC over to read water temp and it was about 175- 177. I monitored several tens of miles and the wt would climb a little to a high of 185 on big hills, but it would drop right back to about 177 on flat ground. This stayed true for a couple hundred miles all at 70- 80 mph. When we stopped at a rest area, the engine warned up to about 200 while idling in the parking lot, but as soon as I got back on the highway temps dropped back down.

I am wondering if I don't have a faulty thermostat or if this is normal operation of the cooling system. Neither my truck nor my VW exhibit this behavior in cold weather.

Thoughts and experiences??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2014 Ram 2500 Laramie, 4x4, 3.42 gears. Auto Trans, Crew cab, long bed. Window Visors, trifold bed cover.

Offline Jims1dodge

• NASCAR Crewmember
  • Awards:
    Heavy Haulerdonor100k
Re: Engine temps in cold weather
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 04:27:14 am »
The truck does that to me.  I can see when the thermostat opens and closes, even going down the road.  Summertime idle- stop and go- I'll see the guage creep to the high 190's and then drop back to 180 when the fan comes on.
You can't fix stupid

~When I was a boy I was told that anybody could become President. Now I’m beginning to believe it

Offline noplugs

• Kung Fu Panda! - closeted conservative
  • Administrator
  • NASCAR Crew Chief
  • This thing has 4 wheel drive?
  • Awards:
    600 HPShade TreeDistinguishedApril ROTMDonor
Re: Engine temps in cold weather
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 05:50:10 am »
Well since I got rid of the trans/coolant inter cooler, my trans fluid runs much colder in the winter. Last years  trip to Indiana had the trans fluid temp at less than 100 degrees with the TC locked.. :eek:
659 HP/1287 TQ -- She's BACK!  Yeah,,, nope she's not stock..

Doghouse Diesel Performance rocks

Nothing is exactly as it seems,nor is it otherwise

Questions, Concerns, Comments? Contact DOF Administrators
DodgeOwnerForums.com is not affiliated with Chrysler Group, LLC or Cummins, Inc